You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
warrends

Is the Walkie Talkie all she's cracked up to be?

6 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
113 posts
1,275 battles

Yeah I've been playing Ships for a while, since Alpha, but they keep changing the Tech Trees, ships, mechanics, UI, etc. It's like it's still in development or something ...

Haven't had much time to play lately unfortunately, but doing my best to get on my PC and play both Tanks and Ships. Saw this vid from Zoup. He says the Wakatake is the best of the best (basically, in tier 3 at least). In the past (Alpha, closed Beta, and on and on) I have absolutely sucked at DDs. I can do scouts in Tanks on an average basis, but DDs, being the "scouts" in Ships (or as close as they can come), I just haven't had the skillz to make them work well, and in all honesty they should not be used as scouts. So wondering what you DD experts think of the Walkie Talkie. I'm about to level up from the Umi and in only 2 battles yesterday did pretty darned well. But I am also a fan of getting to know one ship (or tank) before tiering up; I never tier up just because I have unlocked that next ship/tank. I always get to know one before I get to the next, so will probably keep the Umi for a few more battles and then buy myself the WT.

So, again, thoughts from you DD experts? As good as Zoup says? And suggestions on how to run it?

Thanks.

[NDA]
Supertester, Beta Testers
2,092 posts
4,826 battles

The Wakatake only has 4 torps (2x Dual tubes) so it reloads quickly, the range is only 7k which is better than the USN equivalent by 2.5k. Its guns are slow to turn, like stupid slow and they are weak (its a DD so that is expected).

It was a stepping stone for me, I didn't really enjoy the DDs until the Isokaze and Minekaze. 

Alpha Tester
268 posts
887 battles

Minekaze is a gem.  The Wakatake isn't anything really special.  It's not a bad ship, but it is hardly something that I would go out of my way to keep.

Beta Testers
602 posts
790 battles

Wakatake is a deadly ship when played by an experienced captain. It has a very fast reload with torpedoes that have a good range and speed for tier 3. And it can fire them all while never being detected. The biggest mistake players make with it is firing the guns. I will only fire if I have to in order to stay alive or to kill a very low health ship that I know will die if I risk shooting.

[SPICY]
Beta Testers
18,888 posts

Wakatake is a beast. When I was running her I averaged 2-3 kills a game. My most kills in her was 7.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,448 posts
10,158 battles

Wakatake is a beast. When I was running her I averaged 2-3 kills a game. My most kills in her was 7.

Yes, it is a beast.

Beta Testers
6 posts
1,784 battles

It's not bad (unless you try using the guns) but it's not amazing either. Tier 4 and 5 you get to the really fun ships before the grind. The 7km torp range is annoying after the 8km range at tier 2, and the reload for the second torps is meh.