Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
The_GoDDfather

How To Install Mods?

27 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
4,982 posts
5,777 battles

Ok, probably been gone over hundreds of times, but how do you install mods. I've never ran mods on any game before. Aslains mod was pretty straight forward, but I mean separate files. Files like skin downloads, maybe a few crosshair mod downloads. I tried just transferring the entire file to the game file, so idk.

After this first question I've got to ask, is there a crosshair mod that makes the crosshair like the CBT one?

Edited by KmsH44

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,777 posts
6,802 battles

Your missing should only take place in the res_mods when you're doing it by hand, so you know when you're in the wrong place. Otherwise, hopefully the mod does it for youuu 

Beta Testers
4,982 posts
5,777 battles

I'm not a smart man, I'll need step by step instructions please.

I'm not tech savvy at all. I have no idea what unzipping a file is or any of that.

Edited by KmsH44

Beta Testers
309 posts
7 battles

Find the appropriate mod, download it, scan for viruses.  Then unzip it in the mod folder.   I think that is about it.  I haven't done mods since a trial period on WoT back in the 0.7.X early days.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,639 posts
3,733 battles

Let's take a typical example; that of a KanColle skin or one of Tanz's skins, for a single ship.  We're assuming use of Windows as the OS, and the ship in question is an IJN cruiser.

1.  Download the file to a folder you know the location of (default on Windows would usually be User/Downloads).  The skin file will usually end in .zip or .rar

2.  Use a program like Winrar or 7zip to unzip the file (if you don't have either, download one of them and review how to use them), preferably into the same folder.  Depending on how the file was set, it may or may not have the proper file paths (for the record, most of the skins do NOT have the proper filepath, whether it's Tanz's or the anime ones).

3.  Now comes the fun and part.  Navigate to your World_of_Warships folder (default is C:/Games).  You should have a res and res_mods folder.  You will be jumping between these two folders often, as you will need to follow their folder structure directly.

4.  Go back to your World_of_Warships folder and look for the paths.xml file.  Make a copy for emergency, then RIGHT-CLICK the original and "Open with.." Notepad.  You need to edit it so that it looks like:

<root>
    <Paths>
        <Path>res_mods/0.4.0.4</Path>
        <Path>res</Path>
    </Paths>
</root>

Save it and close it.

5.  Once complete, it's time to start setting up your res_mods folder.  In your res_mods folder, it's probably blank.  Time to start creating the folder structure.  You will need to create the folder 0.4.0.4 if it's not already there.  Then inside that folder, create another folder called content.  Then inside that one, create a folder called gameplay.  So you should have at this point:  res_mods/0.4.0.4/content/gameplay

6.  Now inside the gameplay folder, create a folder named for the faction that the ship skin is supposed to be for.  So if it's a skin for a Japanese ship, you will create a folder named japan (Russia is russia, Germany is germany, United Kingdom is uk, and America is usa).  So now, you folder address should be:  res_mods/0.4.0.4/content/gameplay/japan

7.  Now you have to create the folders that the skin mod goes to.  In most cases, it's only a ship skin.  But in other cases (like some of Tanz's skins) it's more.  We will go with the assumption it's just an anime ship skin for a cruiser for now.  Inside the faction folder (in this example, /japan), create a folder called ship.  And inside that folder, create a folder called cruiser.  Inside that folder, create a folder called textures.  So now your folder address should be:  res_mods/0.4.0.4/content/gameplay/japan/ship/cruiser/textures

8.  Now go to the folder you downloaded and unzipped the skin mod to and copy the Hull.dds and Deck_House.dds files over to the textures folder.  If that's all that was in the mod, that's it.  If not, and there's gun textures, it's time to create that folder as well.

9.  If the skin mod has gun or weapon textures, go to the faction folder (in this example /japan), and create a folder named gun.  Then inside that folder, create 2 folders, one named main, and another named secondary.  Then inside BOTH folders, a folder named textures.  So it would be /japan/gun/main/textures and /japan/gun/secondary/textures.  Here's where you'll need to compare the gun skin files with the base versions in the res files.  Some mods don't list whether the guns need to be main or secondary, so you will have to navigate to the res folder and follow it down to the main or secondary folder.  So navigate to:  res/content/gameplay/japan/gun/main/textures and res/content/gameplay/japan/gun/secondary/textures and look at which .dds file share the same name as the one in the mod.

10.  Now go all the way back to your main and secondary folders in the res_mods folder tree, and copy the gun skin .dds file into either the main or secondary texture folder, whichever one it matches in the original res folder.

11.  If the mod also has other things like rangefinders and aircraft (notably Tanz's skins), you will have to create the relevant folders in the res_mods faction folder as well (such as /japan/catapult/textures, or /japan/finder/textures, etc).  One thing to note is that if it's a .dds file, it's likely going to be in a textures folder.  Exceptions include flag skins.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
1,753 posts
2,389 battles

For the complete newbie at setting up mods? Aslain.com.

Download the installer, run it, pick what you want from the list, and make sure you have 'clean install' checked. Even if you spend a bunch of time reviewing all the options, you'll be done in 10-15min. 

• Cool 1

Members
5 posts
857 battles

Let's take a typical example; that of a KanColle skin or one of Tanz's skins, for a single ship.  We're assuming use of Windows as the OS, and the ship in question is an IJN cruiser.

1.  Download the file to a folder you know the location of (default on Windows would usually be User/Downloads).  The skin file will usually end in .zip or .rar

2.  Use a program like Winrar or 7zip to unzip the file (if you don't have either, download one of them and review how to use them), preferably into the same folder.  Depending on how the file was set, it may or may not have the proper file paths (for the record, most of the skins do NOT have the proper filepath, whether it's Tanz's or the anime ones).

3.  Now comes the fun and part.  Navigate to your World_of_Warships folder (default is C:/Games).  You should have a res and res_mods folder.  You will be jumping between these two folders often, as you will need to follow their folder structure directly.

4.  Go back to your World_of_Warships folder and look for the paths.xml file.  Make a copy for emergency, then RIGHT-CLICK the original and "Open with.." Notepad.  You need to edit it so that it looks like:

<root>
    <Paths>
        <Path>res</Path>
    </Paths>
</root>

Save it and close it.

5.  Once complete, it's time to start setting up your res_mods folder.  In your res_mods folder, it's probably blank.  Time to start creating the folder structure.  You will need to create the folder 0.4.0.4 if it's not already there.  Then inside that folder, create another folder called content.  Then inside that one, create a folder called gameplay.  So you should have at this point:  res_mods/0.4.0.4/content/gameplay

6.  Now inside the gameplay folder, create a folder named for the faction that the ship skin is supposed to be for.  So if it's a skin for a Japanese ship, you will create a folder named japan (Russia is russia, Germany is germany, United Kingdom is uk, and America is usa).  So now, you folder address should be:  res_mods/0.4.0.4/content/gameplay/japan

7.  Now you have to create the folders that the skin mod goes to.  In most cases, it's only a ship skin.  But in other cases (like some of Tanz's skins) it's more.  We will go with the assumption it's just an anime ship skin for a cruiser for now.  Inside the faction folder (in this example, /japan), create a folder called ship.  And inside that folder, create a folder called cruiser.  Inside that folder, create a folder called textures.  So now your folder address should be:  res_mods/0.4.0.4/content/gameplay/japan/ship/cruiser/textures

8.  Now go to the folder you downloaded and unzipped the skin mod to and copy the Hull.dds and Deck_House.dds files over to the textures folder.  If that's all that was in the mod, that's it.  If not, and there's gun textures, it's time to create that folder as well.

9.  If the skin mod has gun or weapon textures, go to the faction folder (in this example /japan), and create a folder named gun.  Then inside that folder, create 2 folders, one named main, and another named secondary.  Then inside BOTH folders, a folder named textures.  So it would be /japan/gun/main/textures and /japan/gun/secondary/textures.  Here's where you'll need to compare the gun skin files with the base versions in the res files.  Some mods don't list whether the guns need to be main or secondary, so you will have to navigate to the res folder and follow it down to the main or secondary folder.  So navigate to:  res/content/gameplay/japan/gun/main/textures and res/content/gameplay/japan/gun/secondary/textures and look at which .dds file share the same name as the one in the mod.

10.  Now go all the way back to your main and secondary folders in the res_mods folder tree, and copy the gun skin .dds file into either the main or secondary texture folder, whichever one it matches in the original res folder.

11.  If the mod also has other things like rangefinders and aircraft (notably Tanz's skins), you will have to create the relevant folders in the res_mods faction folder as well (such as /japan/catapult/textures, or /japan/finder/textures, etc).  One thing to note is that if it's a .dds file, it's likely going to be in a textures folder.  Exceptions include flag skins.

Is there something else that can make the folder structure for me or do I have to make all the files manually? 

Members
301 posts

For the ship skin dds files, I drop them directly into the games native texture folders without creating the folder structures in the res_mod. It bypasses half that horse crap he said and altering the paths.xml. Same with the WG camo remover. 

Only thing I did was make a backup copy of the gameplay folder in res>content>gameplay  so to have all the original skin textures and in game cammo if I ever wanted them back. Otherwise creating all those folders for ship skins in the res_mod folder is utterly [edited]useless as it just duplicates everything your going to put into the texture files directly from the downloaded rar/zip files inside the res folder anyway.

Once you download the skins, unzip them with winrar (or similar program). You will see the sub-folders in there that will say Ship, Guns, Finder..etc. Open those up and the .dds texture files will be in those. So for example for the Iowa skins, take the .dds file (there may be mutiples, one for hull another for deck house) in the ship folder from the rar/zip file, copy it then go to your game directory then the res folder. From there go content>gameplay>usa>ship>battleship>texture and then paste the file there and overwrite the original. Do the same for the other files in your download accordingly. That way you dont have to set up the structures in the res_mods folder at all. It may take a little bit of time, which is why I open up two windows of File Explorer, dock em next to each other and just hop from one window to the other to speed up the process.

One your done, log in and enjoy. The skin I chose for Iowa in game now looks like this

P0qmw6G.jpg

Edited by Spagz

Members
301 posts

Yep, Aslain's.

Aslains will do it to. The way I did it is more permanent though regardless of patches. So I never lose anything, dont have to transfer files over to versions in res_mods each time as the game reads them as its own native features.

Members
211 posts

Ok, probably been gone over hundreds of times, but how do you install mods. I've never ran mods on any game before. Aslains mod was pretty straight forward, but I mean separate files. Files like skin downloads, maybe a few crosshair mod downloads. I tried just transferring the entire file to the game file, so idk.

After this first question I've got to ask, is there a crosshair mod that makes the crosshair like the CBT one?

another aim assister in the making

Members
4,886 posts

the principle is very simple

there is a folder named res, it has some game related stuff

there is a folder named res_mods, if you place some modified stuff from the res folder there (keeping the folder structure, i.e. if it's a file in 0.5.1.2/res/gui/flash it should be in 0.5.1.2/res_mods/gui/flash etc), the game will use that modified stuff instead of the default stuff from the res folder

now, to install a mod you should simply place all the files (if they are archived you should unpack all the files) of the mod into 0.5.1.2/res_mods

[BB-57]
Members
7 posts
2,178 battles

<root>
    <Paths>
        <Path>res</Path>
    </Paths>
</root>

Save it and close it.

thank you so much i have been looking all over the internet to find how to do it and you gave me the answer thank you so much

Members
3 posts
505 battles
On 27/07/2015 at 6:18 PM, YamatoA150 said:

<root>
    <Paths>
        <Path>res</Path>
    </Paths>
</root>

Save it and close it.

where do i find the "paths.xml" folder?

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,639 posts
3,733 battles
12 minutes ago, Nekos4Life said:

where do i find the "paths.xml" folder?

It's not a folder. paths.xml is a file within the game installation folder. For example: C:\Games\World_of_Warships would be the folder, and paths.xml would be a file within it. It should still be present, despite some of the stuff in this thread being outdated. Specifically, all the stuff that used to be in the regular res folder are now stored in a file format within the res_banks folder, and requires the use of a WG tool (can be found here; read up on how to use it). YOU DO NOT NEED the Wows Unpacker if all you're doing is installing mods, but if you do want to be able to see the proper file structures, then using the Wows unpacker will let you do that.

Members
3 posts
505 battles
26 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

It's not a folder. paths.xml is a file within the game installation folder. For example: C:\Games\World_of_Warships would be the folder, and paths.xml would be a file within it. It should still be present, despite some of the stuff in this thread being outdated. Specifically, all the stuff that used to be in the regular res folder are now stored in a file format within the res_banks folder, and requires the use of a WG tool (can be found here; read up on how to use it). YOU DO NOT NEED the Wows Unpacker if all you're doing is installing mods, but if you do want to be able to see the proper file structures, then using the Wows unpacker will let you do that.

ah sorry i knew it was a file. (misspelled) i just don't know what folder the Paths.xml file is in. (AKA how to find it)

Edited by Nekos4Life

[ECOM]
Members
955 posts
12,372 battles
On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 3:31 AM, HalfPastZulu said:

another aim assister in the making

Yep. Can't be bothered to play the game like the rest. Has to search for advantages because he refuses to learn how to play better instead.  They already have all the cross hairs in the game client. My advice op, learn to better yourself instead of searching for quick artificial ways to play better. It's more rewarding.

You can become a unicum player with zero mods. 

Edited by Megrim3

[HINON]
Members
10,105 posts
50 minutes ago, Megrim3 said:

Yep. Can't be bothered to play the game like the rest. Has to search for advantages because he refuses to learn how to play better instead.  They already have all the cross hairs in the game client. My advice op, learn to better yourself instead of searching for quick artificial ways to play better. It's more rewarding.

You can become a unicum player with zero mods. 

You do realize the post you are responding to is over 2 years old?

Sign in to follow this