Quaffer

[Guide] Using Mods

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

27 posts in this topic

Intro

If you opened this thread hoping to find out which mod will make you the supreme frag god of the universe, I fear I shall disapoint you.  There are no mods that will do that for you, and there are too many mods to discuss in one thread.  Instead I shall try to explain what a mod is and how you can apply and use them.  A mod is a "Modification" to the user interface of a game.  It can change aspects of what you see and in some cases what you hear when you play.  But it only effects the interface on the computer that it is installed on.  So if you don't like the flag that waves on the back of your ship and want to replace it with the Battle Standard of the Duchy of Grand Fenwick you may find a mod that will do that for you. But you will be the only one to see the brave double headed eagle. To the other players your flag will be the standard flag that comes with the game, or whatever flag their mods have flying. While it is sad that no one else will see my St Louis that looks very much like the tragically lost USS Maine, with the proud, breton sporting, black sheep standing on the prow (kidding), we work with what we have.

So mods may be available that will change almost any thing you can see or hear in the game. Some examples would be:

The cursor reticle and grid marks in binocular view, numbered for easy reference and colored like a rainbow.

The details of your ship, anything from narhwal shaped bowsprits, to mermaid figureheads, to enormous "Eat At Joe's" signs on the hull.

The details of your weapon sprites, basket ball shaped shells flying through the air, and sharks instead of torpedoes.

The details of your aircraft, and who wouldn't want a scout plane that looks like a navy blimp or mono-planes instead of bi-planes.

The details and content of the player lists on the side of the screens. For instance showing ship weapon ranges in their icons.

The color and size of the text and on the GUI. (Graphical User Interface).  Imagine a clock you can read without squinting.

Partially transparent minimaps.

Smoke stacks with My Little Pony or the Chicago Cubs icons on them.

The voices giving you updates.  Instead of "All ahead Flank" think of Montgomery Scott saying "Captain, the engines can't take anymore!"

In short, anything your heart desires may be available someday.  If you can't find what you want, ask your favorite mod maker. (Hint: that would not be me).

Caveats

Let's say you find a mod that will put a really excellent camoflage pattern on your hull.  Your ship will look great, but unless you have forked over the coin to WarGaming for a coat of camo paint you will receive no bonuses to your concealment range. Variables and calculations that are handled on the server side will not be changed by any mods you install.  So if you put a mod on that will make your HE shells look like balls of greek fire as they loft through the sky, you should not expect them to have a higher chance of starting fires on an enemy ship. Modding the turrets on the Erie to look like the turrets of a Yamato will not change the damage the Erie's guns do, or the reload time.

You should only download mods from the WarGaming forums or some other trusted website. If a mod is really good it will find its way onto the WarGaming forums soon enough. Mods that you find offsite may be trojan horses for malware that you will be placing on your computer when you install them.

It is a good idea to run a virus scan on any file you download, no matter the source.

Illegal mods

There are mods that are considered illegal and the use of them may result in consequences imposed by WarGaming. In general any mod that provides information to the user, that is not available to players without the mod, providing an unfair advantage, may be considered illegal. An example would be the Aim Assist mod that provided visual reference points on where to fire to hit the center of mass of all enemy ships, based on the targets course and speed and your distance and shells travel time.  This mod took advantage of existing code in the game, for a feature that was no longer made available. However the information was not available to players without the mod.

The code for determining the lead assistance is no longer available so that mod no longer works.

In contrast a gun-sight mod that shows the distance to target and the shell travel time would not be illegal because the information is available to anyone who selects the Alternate Battle Interface Mode or holds down the [Alt] key.

Mod Locations

Mods are installed in the res_mods folder

C:\Games\World_of_Warships\res_mods\0.4.0.4 where the 0.4.0.4 represents the current patch. Every time a new patch comes out you get a new folder under res_mods named for the patch number.  You may delete the older folders to save space. It can be a mistake to copy mods from the old folders to the latest folder. Sometimes they will not work properly and may have unfortunate consequences in your game. You are better off downloading the latest version of the mod. Most modders are pretty good about providing versions of their mods that work with the current patch.

So how do they work?  When you start the game the program reads the content of thousands of game files into memory. These may be images or sounds or scripts, etc. The program then reads the content of your res_mods folder and replaces any content in memory with corresponding content in your res_mods folder. For example, if you install the rainbow crosshair mod from Major it will create subfolders under res_mods that look like C:\Games\World_of_Warships\res_mods\0.4.0\gui\flash and contain the file crosshair_screen.swf.  The content of crosshair_screen.swf will be used instead of the content of crosshair_screen.swf that was supplied with the game.

It is important that you not replace the game files.

The mod files should stay in the res_mods directory and the game will sort things out.

Installation

the installation of mods can differ from mod to mod.  Some mod packs will come with a sophisticated interface allowing you to pick and choose what content you want and some will be as simple as "unzip the contents to this location". Reputable mods will have good instructions and occasionally online help available. Read the installation information before you download it. If a mod seems to be asking you to do something hinky with your machine you should avoid downloading it until you can get a clarification from a trusted source.

Trouble

Oh my god I installed this great mod and the game won't work! Perhaps you did not follow the instructions. Perhaps the mod is not compatible with another mod. Don't worry.  Delete the contents of the :\Games\World_of_Warships\res_mods\latest_mod_folder and you should be back to the original game. You can then get help from the forums or just use the mods that you know worked well.

Is Hacking possible in World of Warships?

MajorRenegade suggest that I borrow a page from Lert's book and discuss hacking. None of us should pretend that the game cannot be hacked, but before we cower in fear or beat our chest and say "See, I told you!" we should look at the realities of the situation.  

Any given battle in World of Warships involves twenty five computers. There are twelve client computers for each team and a server.  The client computer, the one you play on, handles the graphical information that you see, the sounds that you hear and logs the commands that you enter with your mouse and keyboard.

The server tracks the location, acceleration, velocity, of every ship, shell, torpedo, and aircraft in the game. It decides where a shell lands and if a shell has hit your ship, what part of the ship, what form of damage has been done, etc. etc. etc. You tell your ship to turn with broken steering gear and the server ignores you. You give the command to repair your rudder and the server decides if your repair function is available. In addition to keeping track of the data it also needs to receive everyone's instructions and send data back to all of the client computers.

If that was not impressive enough, it is doing those tasks for every battle that it is handling. Perhaps that will give you some insight into why lag can be an issue.

To perform any meaningful hack of the game you must hack the program on the server. Assuming you have those skills, any changes you make are going to effect every ship of that class and load out, in every game that is being played.  If you are clever enough to make changes that only effect your ship, the server has to know which client needs to see the tweak.  So you think the server knows what client just changed their rudder location but WarGaming won't be able to identify the account that just developed unobtainium armor? No I didn't think so either.

So relax and play. The only people trying to sink you are the reds, and they have the same ships that you do.

Thanks

I would like to acknowledge Red_Raven_168 and MajorRenegade for their contributions.  This guide would not exist without their assistance.

If you do come across a black sheep standing on the prow of the Maine, please let me know.  I'd love to know what you're drinking.

Not drinking but you should look at your avatar for the sheep and the ship..........:hiding:

good post Quaffer ......... +1 to you sir

this is me or i did some different  achivement for frist time in my days  but i didnt recive my bonus flag this is bug or its normal

Okay, that is very useful information indeed to know.

I am very new here, actually just downloaded the game today and put on Aslain's mod installer to utilise the training room modification.

Whilst I was reading through the thread pertaining to him trying to glean some information on how to do it properly without messing something up, I read many allegations and accusations from a number of individuals breathing fire and brimstone about the detriment of modifications to the game and even alleged hacking accusations.

This cleared up a lot for a less computer gifted person such as myself, thanks!

Only no-skill scum sucking [edited]-bags use illegal mods.  There are literally tens of thousands of them in World of Tanks and as they come into Warships they are finding and using every mod they can get here too.  Punishment for using an illegal mod should be uniform: Accounts scrubbed of EVERYTHING.  Start over at tier 1 with zero Gold, zero ammo, zero equipment, zero barracks, zero Premium days, zero experience, zero stats, and only the free ships/tanks/planes available to any new player.  Start over from scratch and if they use illegal mods a second time, permanent deletion.

And if you post on the log-in screen how many players this has happened to, almost everyone else using illegal mods will remove them. 

Only no-skill scum sucking [edited]-bags use illegal mods.  There are literally tens of thousands of them in World of Tanks and as they come into Warships they are finding and using every mod they can get here too.  Punishment for using an illegal mod should be uniform: Accounts scrubbed of EVERYTHING.  Start over at tier 1 with zero Gold, zero ammo, zero equipment, zero barracks, zero Premium days, zero experience, zero stats, and only the free ships/tanks/planes available to any new player.  Start over from scratch and if they use illegal mods a second time, permanent deletion.

And if you post on the log-in screen how many players this has happened to, almost everyone else using illegal mods will remove them. 

Can you give just one example of an 'illegal mod' and when it was used in WOWS ? Mods are legal unless specifically tagged by WG as not. WG runs cash prize contests for modders, ergo, this leads one to believe that WG actively condones the use of mods. I see a lot of hysteria in this thread with no substance ('the sky is falling'). 

Hack the WG servers to affect the individual game level - 100 times a night?   * please *:sceptic:

Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver

There is a new illegal mod, that gives ships 0 reload time.  They shoot like machine guns without ever having to reload.  Please look into it, it sucks.

I was reading about mods to change the way things look in the game such as how my torps and arti-fire would look to me. My question is can this type of mod in anyway be tagged as an illegal mod?

There is a new illegal mod, that gives ships 0 reload time.  They shoot like machine guns without ever having to reload.  Please look into it, it sucks.

I cannot find a reference to this mod anywhere on the internet at all, including closed admission chat rooms. I do not believe it exists. Sounds to me like you were getting pounded by a platoon using concentrated fire. if they held that left mouse button down in rotation fire .... yeah you get hammered! Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver

I was reading about mods to change the way things look in the game such as how my torps and arti-fire would look to me. My question is can this type of mod in anyway be tagged as an illegal mod?

The appearance of a ship, gun sights, the color of torpedo wakes, shell "tracer/trail" colors,or any mod that does not alter the physics of the game are legal according to WG. Case in point, the "aim assist" was not illegal. The group of testers screamed about it because they wanted control of WoWs, were anti-mod "purists" (like some of them are in WoTs). WG ignored them as they do over other legal mods in their other games. The mod became moot as it was just not needed, too many updates for the modder to keep up with changes, and people did not want to pay someone who could not deliver the goods. I tried the free version and it sucked - I deleted it after about 3 games.

http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-0523-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview-v52300-27012016/

Aslain's has WoWs mod that are virus free, come with a GUI installer,  and all legal. He keeps up to date on any decisions made on mods by WG. ​His reputation in Word of Tanks is Platinum.  

Happy hunting!

Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver

+1! Good overview for new players.

Sadly as pointed out in several other posts in the forums; every time a new or low skill player gets KO'd they scream haxx! They are some really good game mods in WOWs right now that allow for personal player enjoyment from skins and flags to anime. I have been in the gaming world for a long time and regardless of the game there will always be people who try to get over on the game designers. Good software and detection keeps the game equal, fair and fun to play. So far through testing and playing WOWs has done a good job with a very new addition to their series.

***New Players and casual players***

There are some tremendous players in the community and when you come across them the skill level will be noticeable different. Salute them as you sink and perhaps they will give you some pointers. Rant in chat and calling them haxx only keeps you where you are today.

Cheers

I understand the intent of explaining mods and hacks etc. for the common user of WOWs, however, there are several things that are not mentioned in these threads. 

• WG employees
  • WG friends and or investor accounts

Let me explain, 

In Late February 2016, i noticed certain features of my ships not working during game, ie, camo, accuracy reduced, perks not functioning properly, etc. Everyone in game wanted to write it off as lag but I did not buy into that. March came the upgrade, and while others had one install, i had 1 plus 5 additional little ones. Further my ships capabilities, were lessened. This made no sense. I decided to sell all ships and buy them again. Once purchases, all my ships operated 100% on point. 1 week later, 3/21/2016, i get a patch. It installs, and my ships return to not operating right. 

We got the 5.5 upgrade and I began researching files, patches, upgrades, etc.. and had a private IT/programmer review my code

We found that the 3.21.2016 patch file which was loaded by WG, was disabling my perks, capt exp, camo, accuracy and other features of all ships I purchased on the server. We also found that a WG employee had modified a file called a "Monkey File" which tells the server how to make your ship operate with the server mentioned above. 

Now while everyone is calling [edited]right now, i bid you not, we deleted the 3.21 patch file, rebooted and immediately my ships began functioning properly, matter of fact within two days I had like 5 krakens and 2 6 kills. in multiple ships. 

Since the 5.6 upgrade the issues have returned. 

Sure is it difficult for outsiders to mod and hack server? yep but is it a huge possibility that WG employees jerry rig certain ships, players accounts on server/files that you are unaware about to help their friends, investors that play, etc? 

Yep and high probability.