You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

2 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
89 posts
2,087 battles

Hey, all.  I've seen this topic thrown around a bit, more on the EU forums than here, but I figured I'd slap some stuff on the table for the search function to gobble after this thread has been lost to time.

Is this possible?

Yes!

Controller support may be added in the future, but right now, it's mostly limited to emulators like Xpadder:  http://xpadder.com/

(Yes, this site has always looked sketchy, but I can vouch for it, as can millions of others, and their forums are useful, too!)

Why would I want to use a controller over a mouse and keyboard?

You might not, but various people have limitations of their own (take disabilities for an example), and as such, can't really use the mouse and keyboard interface to its full potential.  For them, a controller is a much easier peripheral to handle.  Others might just like to relax on the couch and see their glorious PC games plastered all over their 50 inch LCD TVs!  To others, it's just a personal preference.  It might not be for you, but it is for someone!

The limitations of using a controller are obvious, but World of Warships actually works quite well with a standard game pad if I do say so, myself.  The hardest part is getting used to the emulation speed of the stick-to-mouse interface if it's your first time trying something like this.

What about all these fancy keys I want to use?

You might have to cut one or two, but World of Warships currently doesn't have a huge control scheme as it stands, and is (in my opinion) one of the prime candidates to plug-and-play with a controller, even if you can't always troll chat from the controller itself.

Okay I'm interested.  I have Xpadder, it cost me an arm and a leg, now what?

There are already numerous tutorials on how to set up Xpadder, such as this one: [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8j7_oDh8F0 ], and it's surprisingly easy to use.  Without cluttering this post too much, many questions are readily answered by a quick google search.  Perhaps I (and others) could even help you with a reply here.

Why can't I hold all these buttons?

You should be able to!  With ~15-20 customizable, assignable buttons on a standard gaming controller, most of the functions should be easily mapped to your liking.  This is my Xpadder layout (with a 360 controller), but yours might end up different:

Left Stick

Mouse Movement
Right Stick (left) Rudder Shift (left) [A]
Right Stick (right) Rudder Shift (right) [D]
Right Stick (down) Select Weapon 3 [3]
Right Stick (up) [bLANK]
D-pad (left) Rudder Shift (left) [Q]
D-pad (right) Rudder Shift (right) [E]
D-pad (up) Accelerate [W]
D-pad (down) Decelerate
A Fire [Left Mouse Button]
X Consumable (1) [R]
Y Consumable (2) [T]
Z Consumable (3) [Y]
Select Ammo Type 1 [1]
Start Ammo Type 2 [2]
Left Stick (press) Lock Weapons Relative [Ctrl+X]
Right Stick (press) Select/ Clear Target [X]
Left Trigger Zoom Out [scroll Wheel Down]
Right Trigger Zoom In [scroll Wheel Up]
Left Bumper Free Mouse [Ctrl]
Right Bumper Binocular Mode Toggle [shift]

Notable Exclusions:

Battle Screen [Tab]
Chat [Enter]
Menu [Escape]
Free Look [Right Mouse Button]
Shell Camera

[Z, Scroll Wheel Click]

Note:

This layout will probably frustrate you when sailing a CV, recommended CV controller layout is different, and can be added as a profile in Xpadder.  I don't play CVs (I'm sorry!), so I can't say much on that front, but it's more than likely do-able.  Someone may post a CV layout, or I may come back and edit this if this thread garners enough attention for one.  That said, this layout should work fine for battleships, cruisers, and destroyers.  Minor alterations might be preferable.

Is that it?

And that's it!  There's not a lot more to say other than enjoy being a couch potato like me if the controller is your preferred method of sailing.  It's actually quite enjoyable once you get used to it.  Xpadder files are attached, and others may have better layouts than mine!  Feel free to post your own or make improvements to the suggestion.

EU post:
http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/11738-xbox-controller-in-wows/

World of Warships Profile.zip

World of Warships Layout.zip

• Cool 1

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,767 posts
4,246 battles

Why would I want to use a controller over a mouse and keyboard?

You might not, but various people have limitations of their own (take disabilities for an example), and as such, can't really use the mouse and keyboard interface to its full potential.  For them, a controller is a much easier peripheral to handle.  Others might just like to relax on the couch and see their glorious PC games plastered all over their 50 inch LCD TVs!  To others, it's just a personal preference.  It might not be for you, but it is for someone!

+1

However, who dosen't use their 50'' LCD HDTV as their main computer monitor?

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
89 posts
2,087 battles

+1

However, who dosen't use their 50'' LCD HDTV as their main computer monitor?

The peasants who could only get the measly 49"  :(

First world problems.