Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Native_Alien

spotting mechanic... seems very unrealistic to me

9 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
6 posts
571 battles

I've been playing about a month, have about 450 battles mostly in destroyers and cruisers.

I dearly want to like this game.   The main thing that seems so unrealistic to me is the spotting mechanic.

What possible rationale is there for allowing every ship whose guns will reach my position , even when out of visual range, to accurately fire at me when i am spotted by a plane or a closer ship that is able to see me?  I can understand ships out of visual range being aware of my position, but to be able to fire as if they have acquired a visual when out of spotting range seems ludicrous to me. 

A similar seemingly impossible thing occurs when out of visual range and being detected when firing.  Should other ships, out of visual range, be able to know where the fire came from?  Well, it seems perfectly realistic to men they should know the direction and have some idea of the range.  But to be able to immediately lay down accurate fire on a moving target seems so contrived that it detracts significantly from my enjoyment of the game.

It almost seems to me that the spotting mechanism from WOT has been used in this game which should have a totally different set of considerations. 

I could say much more on this topic, but I am interested to hear (read) comments from other players on this topic.  If there is another place where this issue has been addressed in depth, i apologize for rehashing an old topic and will appreciate directions to the discussion.

Have fun all!

• Cool 1

[GOAT]
Beta Testers
1,523 posts
7,150 battles

There actually is a mechanic for this, acquisition range. When you see the outline on the map and don't actually have them rendered.

[W-G]
Beta Testers
626 posts
7,445 battles

Radio communications (ships giving your coords out to the fleet)

Ability to counter-fire has been around a long time. In the military we can hit mortars that fire at us even though we can't see them. This has been around for a while.

So, unrealistic? No.

The biggest thing is that this game isn't mean to be realistic. It's meant to be a realistic looking arcade game.

Beta Testers
6 posts
571 battles

Thanks for the responses so far!

I understand that "realistic" is not an obtainable goal in a game like this.  There are many unrealistic things in the game that I believe are good trade offs for the sake of "doablility" and game play.  That said, if we can improve the "feeling of realism" in a way that enhances the game play, that would be a good thing in my view.

The analogy to counter battery fire is an example of something that doesn't work in a ship context, IMHO.  Counter battery fire depends on the unit that fired not having moved from the position it fired from, let alone taking evasive action at 30+ knots.  Likewise, radioed coordinates of a place in the ocean.

I believe that an adjustment to the mechanic that would be a good change would be to reduce the "to hit" chance or accuracy of units out of visual range considerably for, say, 20 to 30 seconds.  If the spotted ship stays spotted by staying in range of an opposing team ship or by continuing to fire for that time, then out of range fire could justifiably become more accurate based on accumulated data points.

To someone with no knowledge of programming whatsoever, this seems like a change that  could be relatively easily implemented.  If so, I believe it would improve the game play mechanic.

Edited by d_menace

Beta Testers
6 posts
571 battles

Don't know why some of the above did not display,  I'll put it here.

The analogy to counter battery fire is something that does not work in a ship to ship contest, IMHO.  It depends on the unit that fired not having moved since it fired, let alone taking evasive actions at 30+ knots.  Likewise, radioed coordinates of a spot in the ocean.

[KANCO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1 post
7,855 battles

I guess you are new to Wargaming's game, haha it used to be like this for long time. 

Sign in to follow this