Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rolkatsuki

The Minekaze

49 comments in this topic

[SPTR]
Members
27,689 posts
18,275 battles

Hey guys what's your take on this nimble destroyer, is it so great to use that you kept it in port or is it overpowered due to its torpedoes and good concealment? I personally enjoy using mine did +300k damage in it at one stage.

Members
113 posts
1,120 battles

It is overpowered, against targets that sail in a straight line all the time. Face an enemy team with enough sense to move regularly and the fish are nowhere near as effective, and the guns don't accomplish anything except saying "here I am, kill me quickly".

Members
78 posts
421 battles

Reaction to the OP invisi ship depends on whether or not you are using or going against it. you gonna love its op and hate that its probably gonna kill you.

Members
62 posts
2,490 battles

I had the honor of facing an enemy team with 5 destroyers. 4 japanese, 1 russian. 3 of those japanese DDs were Minekaze. The torpedo walls I saw moving towards my allies were a sight to behold...

When I ran the Minekaze, it was really great. It punished BBs and CAs that moved only in a straight line. Now if only the next tier DDs matched the performance of the Minekaze...

• Cool 1

Members
4,302 posts

Great fun to play, in fact my favourite ship in WOWS. Like wasps, never stops stinging, while other low to mid tier Japanese DDs are more like bees, one shot wonders. But compared to its successor, it is overpowered, and for those on the receiving end, must feel crazy. For those unsure how to react to the torpedo spam, simple advice : a) use your rudders and turn toward the torpedo spread, that way you can avoid, or limit the number that hit. b) easy torp does moderate, but not deadly damage. c) as you are turning toward the torpedo spread, shoot back and sink the MineKaze (amazingly they do sink!). Minekaze is great for the mayhem and disorganization it can cause an enemy, as much as any true damage.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
706 posts
551 battles

I love mine, 7km torps on it and you have the 1km dangerzone to sail in, go out to far and you can't hit, get to close and you get hit. Also the 7km torps have the speed to actually hit someone with 2 braincells, the 10km ones need to find some one with just 1 braincell because they are so slow.

This is also what makes any DD not very much OP because if you change course and speed regularly a DD will have a hard time landing torps on you.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,175 posts
7,606 battles

I played it a lot in CBT. It's quite possibly OP, as much as I hate to admit it, but only because the stock torpedo's 67 knot speed is unforgiving.

Members
855 posts
2,316 battles

It's is OP. The Mutuski is a massive downgrade. That said, I hope they don't nerf it because OP ships can be dealt with in game unlike OP tanks.

[13CLM]
Beta Testers
110 posts

I run the 7 klick torps on mine, because of that torp speed. Seriously, fish moving that fast are awesome. Mind you some rather intelligent BB captains have figured out that all they need to do is adjust their speed (not even their heading!) on a random basis and my speedy fish sail harmlessly past. Compared to the Isokaze that extra .2 klicks of concealment is a huge boost. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the most fun ships in the game to play. Nothing like playing peek a boo with another Minekaze while trying to get in close to an enemy fleet undetected, to say nothing of plane dodging.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

I had the Minekaze in Beta and certainly liked it then.

I do not yet have it here in Open Beta (just too many other lines to start up & develop).

I am going for it - almost done with the Wakatake.

[SH4RK]
[SH4RK]
Members
4 posts
2,821 battles

I am really getting sick and tired of being torpedoed from within 4 km by enemy destroyers, that I can't see, regardless of the ship I'm in. I'm sure that most of the people who say the ship is great have clearly never driven anything else, and thus have no idea of how OP destroyers in general are, compared to the other ships.

If anyone has ideas for beating invisibility inside of 4 km, I'm all ears.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
706 posts
551 battles

I am really getting sick and tired of being torpedoed from within 4 km by enemy destroyers, that I can't see, regardless of the ship I'm in. I'm sure that most of the people who say the ship is great have clearly never driven anything else, and thus have no idea of how OP destroyers in general are, compared to the other ships.

Don't sail into or near smoke

Don't come around islands close to the shore

problem solved, no DD is invisible at 4km, minekaze even when upgraded will be visible at 5km.

O an learn to chance speed and course ALL the time, that way you will dodge torps before you even know they are in the water.

Seriously a DD take quite some skill to pull off well and those who just sit at long range lobbing torps tend to be quite useless if the people on the other team do the above, seriously even if you don't do that you can still dodge 55kn torps when the warning pops up.

[SH4RK]
[SH4RK]
Members
4 posts
2,821 battles

So, in other words, it takes a destroyer to hunt a destroyer.

Hmm. And somehow the Destroyer isn't OP??

• Cool 2

Members
20 posts

The vast majority of my battles are in a destroyer. I love the Minekaze. Its a heart-pounding, high speed, and action packed ship. I have had my best games in the Minekaze, and frankly its tier VI and VII "upgrades" feel like a major downgrade. Reload times keep you in the fight and looking for your next kill as with higher tiers its more hide, shoot, run, and pray... you hit and don't die! :(

Love the Minekaze!!

Edited by TheMarten

[WHS]
Members
254 posts
4,080 battles

Minekaze is war-criminal tier.

Someone think of the chilluns!

LcToPnj.jpg

mZISbN5.jpg

I'm not the best DD captain around, but i love this machine. Imagine how this thing can be in the hands of someone capable.

[WHS]
Members
254 posts
4,080 battles

Don't go within 4 km if you suspect enemy DD will be there. If you do suspect, or if you actually do spot one there, start sailing straight away from it. It's amazing how many people there are who will keep sailing in a straight line at a constant speed after they've been spotted. DDs are OP because most people don't bother to counter it, and then it gets them real good.
  • Cool 2

[S_E_A]
Beta Testers
2,709 posts
4,563 battles

So, in other words, it takes a destroyer to hunt a destroyer.

Hmm. And somehow the Destroyer isn't OP??

Or you know, just make 5 degree helm changes ever salvo or 2. 

Members
20 posts

Again I agree this maybe the "best at tier" destroyer, but it is truly a seasoned captain that makes the difference. I may not be the best destroyer captain, yet ;) but so far this is my best and it was in a Minekaze.

shot-15.07.18_22.34.29-0839.jpg

shot-15.07.18_22.35.15-0834.jpg

shot-15.07.18_22.44.41-0935.jpg

Now that was a fun match... for me at least :)

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
67 posts
3,550 battles

Minekaze may as well be tier 10, I don't want to say its OP, but everything after Minekaze is worse than it is.

Lets look at some stats

Minekaze  T5        |                          |

Short torps       | Long torp          | Misc.

14400 dmg       | 14400 dmg       | 5.9km detect range

7km range        | 10 km range     | 4x1 120mm (7.6km range)

68 knts             | 57 knts             | 39.4 knt max speed (2.8 rudder)

1.3 per second | 1.3 per second |

Shimakaze T10

Short torps       | Long torp        | 7.6km detect range

23767 dmg       | 20967 dmg      | 3x2 127 mm (9.8km)

15km range      | 20km range      | 39.4 knts max speed (3.4 shift)

67 knts             | 67 knts             |

0.4 per second | 0.4 per second |

So, The T5 has 18720 torpedo DPS compared to the T10's 9506 DPS. T5 is 29% more concealable , and more maneuverable with 21% faster rudder shift same max speed. Torpedo acquisition range on the T5 is 114% less than the T10's and move 1knt faster, so vastly harder to dodge on the T5's (using short torps on both as example.)

Just looking at the stats of these ships... they don't even compare Minekaze is leagues better than anything after it. Whoever designed this tier system is crazy.

• Cool 1

Members
14 posts
5,019 battles

The simple fix for this would be to change how concealment works for DDs. Like you could spot them at twice the range, but any gun fire at them has an accuracy penalty. But the vanishing ship trick has to go.

Members
188 posts

The simple fix for this would be to change how concealment works for DDs. Like you could spot them at twice the range, but any gun fire at them has an accuracy penalty. But the vanishing ship trick has to go.

the shell spam would then be immense

correction! It would be immense, and so would the complaints of my guns don't shoot fast enough!

Edited by anonym_2ZNiJLJL8ln2

Beta Testers
706 posts
551 battles

That would be the end of DDs period, not being seen is keen to their survival.

Anyhow the balance still is found in peoples skill of not sailing in straight lines at constant speeds. Believe me hitting a BB that knows what it is doing is really hard and if I am lucky I can catch him with 1 torp a salvo or 2. Those who do not change speed and course, well those make up the large majority of my devastating strike badges.

And yes the minikaze might seem crazy, but keep in mind to use its best torps it is playing a highly dangerous game, you have to stay within 6 and 7km from your target and at least 6km away from everyone else, that is not an easy job,. Yes she has 10km torps, but they are so slow even a carrier can dodge them when they get a warning.

[ZNAVY]
[ZNAVY]
Members
254 posts
7,541 battles

I love my Minekaze, and in the Open Beta, i don't think it's OP.  Any tier IV USN DD (and above) with a half awake Captain will chew you up and spit you out.  I get plenty of 3-4 kill games (never 6, that's awesome), and love wrecking distracted BB's and CV's, but all those good feeling go away when I get spotted by a Sims on the hunt, or some such.....then it's usually game-over and back to grinding the Hatsuharu.

Sign in to follow this