Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Monarchco

Anti-aircraft in 5" guns.

10 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
177 posts
2,368 battles

I remember reading a post on this before, but it had answers, that were in a fairly gray area, and difficult to understand(maybe I missed a clearer thread).

OtOzqJd.jpg?1

How can 1 use the dual purpose(5 inch air/land) guns, as AA?
They are listed under the AA rating, for both the Atlanta, & multiple USN Destroyers. How can I use it for AA if it's the primary weaponry?

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,176 posts
8,222 battles

DP guns automatically fire, like the other AA guns, even if you are using its AP or HE armament. The game simply does not animate the DP action. It also attacks targets independently of where you are aiming the barrels.

[WALLY]
Beta Testers
1,413 posts
1,450 battles

If your AA guns are activated, then they fire automatically when aircraft are in range.  The 5" DP guns are part of that equation.

It's magic, in short.

[PPNA1]
[PPNA1]
Beta Testers
2,242 posts
30,461 battles

I remember reading a post on this before, but it had answers, that were in a fairly gray area, and difficult to understand(maybe I missed a clearer thread).

How can 1 use the dual purpose(5 inch air/land) guns, as AA?

They are listed under the AA rating, for both the Atlanta, & multiple USN Destroyers. How can I use it for AA if it's the primary weaponry?

They automatically engage any enemy aircraft that's within their range(4.5-5.7km base range depend on guns, and can be boosted out to 7km), you can designate target for them by Ctrl+click. This applies even to Atalanta/Destroyers and those guns can function as AA and be fired at ships at the same time.

Edited by Cpt_VictorHenry_USN

[CD47]
Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
25,094 battles

It works by magic they shoot both at the same time.  You won't see the animation for the AAA but you will see the Flak bursts and they are automatic by default.  If you have enable small objects on.

Beta Testers
177 posts
2,368 battles

It works by magic they shoot both at the same time. 

Dang... Wish we had some of this magic tech during the war :/

Beta Testers
200 posts
2,132 battles

Take the appropriate consumable in the Consumable area, and take one of the AA options I usually by the premium with credits which makes my guns when clicked NASTY for long enough to take out those pesky aircraft in one use I blasted down almost two squadrons. hee hee Worth the extra cost.

[G_W_S]
Beta Testers
85 posts
5,890 battles

Wonder if the DP guns on the North Carolina and up for US BBs are engaging aircraft? I would gladly task them out on aircraft instead of small ships in close to me given half a chance sometimes. 

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,337 battles

If your AA guns are activated, then they fire automatically when aircraft are in range.  The 5" DP guns are part of that equation.

It's magic, in short.

Because AA magic. Yep legit.

Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

AA fire is completely separate from regular fire.  AA is a bubble, with every AA gun automatically firing once an enemy plane enters range.  A secondary, or primary turret, can be firing at a ship AND at planes at the same time.

This is indeed magic.  Any gun that is listed under Anti-Air automatically does this.

Also, the CAs Defensive Fire ability boosts the damage of 99mm or larger guns by quite a lot while it's active.  Quoted numbers usually sit around 5x or 9x.

This is why an Atlanta sometimes chews up planes, and other times fails to kill anything before the drop.

Sign in to follow this