Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
k1w1pilot

Citadel's

13 comments in this topic

[GWG]
Beta Testers
90 posts
8,071 battles

Can't say I have ever done this before...

13 hits (AP) for 9 Citadels and 2 ships sunk...

shot-15.07.11_15.35.40-0518.jpg

And I thought I'd add in my next match as well...

shot-15.07.11_15.49.49-0630.jpg

shot-15.07.11_15.49.49-0630.jpg

shot-15.07.11_15.35.40-0518.jpg

[MOTHS]
Beta Testers
52 posts
4,642 battles

I only got 3 but lots of hits using both AP and HE.

4700 Omaha.png

Edited by nosalvation

[GWG]
Beta Testers
90 posts
8,071 battles

Who says you can't load AP in a DD?  Can't let you big guys have all the fun.

Good going! But I wouldn't call the St Louis 'Big' or 'Fast' for that matter. LOL

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,450 battles

You can load AP in a DD, but there's only a few rare cases where I can think that the AP would be beneficial over the fire. One would be where you need to take out a cruiser and fire will take too long, i.e. you are in citadel range and your torpedoes are on cooldown. That's about it, really =.=

Beta Testers
167 posts
772 battles

You can load AP in a DD, but there's only a few rare cases where I can think that the AP would be beneficial over the fire. One would be where you need to take out a cruiser and fire will take too long, i.e. you are in citadel range and your torpedoes are on cooldown. That's about it, really =.=

It's really only a gremlin thing in 4.0.  USN rounds have too much arc to reliably penetrate even light cruisers, and IJN guns have too low a RoF to warrant using them more than a couple times as you are fleeing to concealment in which case it's probably better to fire HE to maybe start a fire or break something.  The gremlin has lovely high-velocity shells with a decently flat arc and the highest caliber guns on any DD platform.  You can reliably penetrate up to the Pensicola, (with the exception of the St. Louis which has a really weird citadel hitbox) and Aoba provided they're showing you a flat side and you're within ~9k.  Inside 9k you should expect to see about a 50% citadel rate if you're firing all 4 shells, and at least 1 citadel out of 3 shells if you're angling yourself to make yourself a harder target.  This results in 3-8k vollies every 4s.  It's not Des Moines DPM but it can get the job done.

Often times your guns are a much better option than torpedoes, even if they're available for use.   There's a big deadzone from 7k-2.5k where torpedoes are almost certainly going to miss due to your target maneuvering (you're spotted, after all) and even if they did hit, it would take them 20s+ to do so.  Also in cases where there is a friendly ship in the line of fire you should be firing guns, not torps.  I switch to AP in the Gremlin at least one time every match and it's a great tool to really surprise CLs who think they're going to just wipe the floor with you or finish off vulnerable cruisers under 10k hp.  Sadly, they removed the citadels from DDs and instead made the modules extremely weak because prior to that patch IJN DDs actually had a chance vs their USN counterparts in a gun battle, provided they had their guns pre-trained in the right direction.

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,450 battles

It's really only a gremlin thing in 4.0.  USN rounds have too much arc to reliably penetrate even light cruisers, and IJN guns have too low a RoF to warrant using them more than a couple times as you are fleeing to concealment in which case it's probably better to fire HE to maybe start a fire or break something.  The gremlin has lovely high-velocity shells with a decently flat arc and the highest caliber guns on any DD platform.  You can reliably penetrate up to the Pensicola, (with the exception of the St. Louis which has a really weird citadel hitbox) and Aoba provided they're showing you a flat side and you're within ~9k.  Inside 9k you should expect to see about a 50% citadel rate if you're firing all 4 shells, and at least 1 citadel out of 3 shells if you're angling yourself to make yourself a harder target.  This results in 3-8k vollies every 4s.  It's not Des Moines DPM but it can get the job done.

Often times your guns are a much better option than torpedoes, even if they're available for use.   There's a big deadzone from 7k-2.5k where torpedoes are almost certainly going to miss due to your target maneuvering (you're spotted, after all) and even if they did hit, it would take them 20s+ to do so.  Also in cases where there is a friendly ship in the line of fire you should be firing guns, not torps.  I switch to AP in the Gremlin at least one time every match and it's a great tool to really surprise CLs who think they're going to just wipe the floor with you or finish off vulnerable cruisers under 10k hp.  Sadly, they removed the citadels from DDs and instead made the modules extremely weak because prior to that patch IJN DDs actually had a chance vs their USN counterparts in a gun battle, provided they had their guns pre-trained in the right direction.

You can punch through Ibuki armor with an Atlanta. DDs have the same set of guns, and they will go ham. Almost 8K per barrage on a Sims.

Beta Testers
167 posts
772 battles

Yeah, at 3.5k in a USN DD though you're 1 good volley away from death. :(  I've taken a Mahan into the training room and tore up some bot citadels at close range like that but I've never been able to duplicate the feat in a live match.  Nice job with that Atlanta.

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,450 battles

Yeah, at 3.5k in a USN DD though you're 1 good volley away from death. :(  I've taken a Mahan into the training room and tore up some bot citadels at close range like that but I've never been able to duplicate the feat in a live match.  Nice job with that Atlanta.

As long as you have a pinata like a BB there, they'll ignore you :D

Sign in to follow this