Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Frank_Ye

Begging for Advises on Colorado

25 comments in this topic

Members
41 posts
6,688 battles

I'm now playing the Colorado, but I feel that I'm doing terribly in it, much worse than I do in other US battleships (Iowa and Montana excluded because I've never played them). Please give me some advice on how to be a good Colorado captain. Thanks.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,670 battles

Well the battleship sucks according to many testers.

Members
41 posts
6,688 battles

Well the battleship sucks according to many testers.

Yeah, every ship I encounter seem to have longer range, and I'm doomed if I try to close the distance cause I'll get focused.

Beta Testers
138 posts
430 battles

I have no advice for you. I too hit the Colorado and immediately wanted my New Mexico back. The only consolation is that the North Carolina and Iowa make the pain and suffering worthwhile.

When I moved to Colorado my first thought was they should have made a 12 x 16" gun Battleship. That thought was followed by the idea "They did, its called Montana".

All I can tell ya is keep moving and pray. The biggest problem I had with Colorado was the crazy, random, almost 45deg cone of fire that might hit anything in that cone if your lucky.  Even chewed up a Iowa once. I had better rate of fire but he only took a couple salvo's to take me from 100% to dead.

2,809 posts
1,670 battles

Can't give you any advice because I never got the ship, it was this or a tier 9 Japanese battleship which is better.

Alpha Tester
460 posts
1,739 battles

BB and CVs will be prime CW ships

But BB slow reload makes if horrible in PUGs

CV has reach so it is playable, just please don't park and wait for a Japanese DD to fined you and the way you learn is his torps sinking you

I have killed several CVs in USA DDs just by running them down and using  Guns with torps to make them steer the way I want them top go

CVs are not arty and need to be moved WITH the fleet and behind them 

Nothing makes me laugh more than a CV screaming for help all the way across the map because he never looked at the shops on HIS team

Of course it could be Her ship for those Female gamer's out there

So it edits the last two letters of BB plural 

Test BB's

Edited by Argon3

[NSF]
5,304 posts
9,284 battles

You can't git gud in the Colorado. You can do well in every other ship in the game, but the Colorado is just pure failure.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,110 battles

I'm now playing the Colorado, but I feel that I'm doing terribly in it, much worse than I do in other US battleships (Iowa and Montana excluded because I've never played them). Please give me some advice on how to be a good Colorado captain. Thanks.

Best advice I can give you, keep your nose or tail pointed at the enemy at all times.  Only turn enough when you need the rear turrets then get back facing front. Try to get as close as possible.

Other than that, GL. Was a horrible ship in CBT, and it's still horrible.

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
4,344 battles

The Colorado is the worst BB in the game, aside from the South Carolina. Without the South Carolina's ONLY redeeming feature. (And that feature is that at least you get out of it quickly!)

I'm sorry to say, there's really no special trick to this failboat. Grinding through it in CBT was like having my nuts hit by a hammer. The only pleasure that came with that ship, was getting out of it, and selling it and getting my NC.

This time around I'm literally saving EVERY free xp point I can, so that I can get the hell out of it almost immediatley...hopefully. I am even grinding up multiple ship classes this time around, and will go IJN once I get my New Mexico. Maybe then I'll have enough free xp to skip the pile of crap entirely.

Edited by Mavairo

[NSF]
5,304 posts
9,284 battles

Funny thing is that there have been threads asking about the Colorado since the day US BBs were introduced.

Not a single one has ever solicited a reply by a Dev.

Alpha Tester
1,997 posts
2,336 battles

I call it the Craporado. Its the M3 lee of warships. Worst ship in the game. Though I hear the Furutaka gives it a run for that title. 

Its standard operating procedure to block out the really really good vehicles behind really really crap vehicles in all WG games. i think its a way to keep the server population of the powerful stuff from being TOO high. Like in tanks, you have to go through the M3 lee, T1 heavy, and M6 just to get to the T29... on of the best heavy tanks in the game. Same here, Have to get through the Craporado to get to the mana from heaven that is the North Carolina and its bigger sisters. 

Only advice i can give you is to pay attention to angling. It has pretty nice armor, and with its low DPS compared to other BBs, you have to use that angling to stay alive long enough to damage the enemy. I did "OK" in the craporado in CBT, usually at least got a kill and a few citadel pens in a match. Oh, and you get pretty decent AA once fully upgraded, so you got that going for you too... for what its worth. lol

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
134 posts
3,811 battles

it's one of those walls in a f2p game where they try to get you to spend money. either suck it up and go into a lengthy horrible unfun grind or spend $

2,809 posts
1,670 battles

They can say with confidence that there is no pitfall in the Japanese battleship line, but for American battleships they will not say this statement in their official videos unless they replaced the Colorado.

[NSF]
5,304 posts
9,284 battles

And to think people complain about the Nagato. That ship was a dream compared to the Colorado.

Does the IJN BB line actually have a really, truly bad BB in it? The Izumo looks odd, but people seem to do well in it.

2,809 posts
1,670 battles

Izumo has a big fat citadel that many good Iowa players can exploit which is why they buff it's secondaries range.

[S_E_A]
Beta Testers
2,709 posts
4,563 battles

And to think people complain about the Nagato. That ship was a dream compared to the Colorado.

Does the IJN BB line actually have a really, truly bad BB in it? The Izumo looks odd, but people seem to do well in it.

Kawachi or stock Fusou I guess.

2,809 posts
1,670 battles

Fuso has 6 turrets, besides once upgraded she is playable.

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
4,344 battles

I'm partly hoping they just remove the ole Craporado before I get there this time. Either way I have a plan now, and plenty of advance warning as to it's Suck Factor. I didn't have that before.

I feel bad for anyone who's spent free xp before getting there.

Honestly there should be a support group for Craporado players.

And, in CBT I had a saying, "Whats the easiest way to tell what side wins? The one with the least colorados on it..."

I just fragged a fresh one, in my Wyoming a couple days ago.

Beta Testers
86 posts
814 battles

I've been toughing it out in the Colorado. I think I've had half decent stats in it, 1700 xp per battle and currently 59k per game. I was at 65k ish per game, but a string of games where going the wrong direction at the start resulted in several potato damage games.

Once you accept that the secondaries are useless and the main guns have bad dispersion, you learn to live with it. The armor is quite good against AP and the AA is excellent.

You'll have to come to terms that sometimes you do indeed miss due to bad aim, and sometimes you will aim well and dispersion kicks you in the nuts, and the key is to not get aggravated and lose your composure. Use all the BB tactics you've learned: keep DD positioning in mind, be mindful of IJN cruiser torps, put yourself where you can be useful.

All the USN BBs have been slow up to this point, but choosing the wrong flank is more apparent at tier 7 because people will generally learn to push together and opposing high tier BBs are faster and will be out of your range the entire game. Since you're facing high tier DDs the 21 knot stuff sticks out if you don't keep their position in mind, their torps are very fast and long ranged now, and you will feel sad on the wrong flank eating torps with no way to deal with it.

The guns are punchy and good against higher tier BBs since they are quite a bit bigger now. Amagi, Iowa, izumo, nagato are all quite large and it's pretty much your own fault if you miss those targets, and you should probably aim for those as opposed to CAs if you are 15 km out, Colorado dispersion will not let you hit cruisers at that range.

I have a couple 100-120k damage Colorado games, I think 5 or 6, I could upload.

Beta Testers
295 posts
565 battles

The Izumo is basically the Colorado of the IJN BB line.

It's not a good ship.  From my understanding, it is based on a design idea, one in a line of proto-Yamato designs for ... a battlecruiser.

Seriously, battlecruisers are lemons.  Everyone abandoned them them after Jutland.  But there it is in WoWS.  The Izumo.  A tier 9 ship in the battleship line with light armor and "high" speed.  It's opponent: The Iowa, a ship with a high speed, superior armor, and superior damage from its.  Izumos get citadel'd like crazy, not just by Iowas and Montanas, but by North Carolinas and Colorados, too.  In response to complaints about the armor and low firepower on the Izumo, WG addressed some of the issues by buffing the Izumo's secondary guns as well as introducing a number of "soft" buffs to the upgraded primary guns.  But it still gets citadel'd like crazy and is expected to be the opponent of Montanas, Iowas, and Yamatos.

You don't hear complaining about the Izumo here on NA server because everyone here who posts is about US Navy battleships 24x7.  I come from the SEA server and they pretty much complain about the Izumo the same way NA server complains about the Colorado (conversely, hardly anyone talks about the Colorado out there, though they do complain about the USN BB line's overall slow speed).

Beta Testers
86 posts
814 battles

I played the izumo in CBT, probably 40 ish games. I quite liked it, the firepower is extremely good with accurate guns, and I quite like the gun layout, even for stern chases (I don't know why people complain about this, you can still fire over the shoulder and will still have at least 1 gun on target unless direct stern).

The armor may have been weak, but angled, it bounced all the same. A bit anecdotal but I had a game on hotspot, turned an early corner and was within 10 km of a Montana, yamato and Iowa, focusing my completely angled front. They didn't get a single penetration at that range and I citadeled them all, with only a couple cruisers as my backup. Again one game wonder but if you angle that bow towards your target, they aren't getting through.

It's broadside armor wasn't noticeably less weak than other BBs since something like a Montana was notoriously easy to citadel from broadside.

And then it's secondaries were absolutely amazing, at least vs any USN BB.

[PEPE]
Beta Testers
231 posts
1,267 battles

Best advice. Sell it. Free XP your way through it...

In CBT, only needed like 56k do get the North Carolina... Good luck though!

Edited by Sk8er4LifeMD

Beta Testers
86 posts
814 battles

I should add that the Colorado's gun layout requires you to angle a bit too far from optimal to get the third turret on target, unlike an Iowa or Montana. If you want to fire your rear guns, make sure your target has fired their entire salvo, or make sure your rudder isn't completely set to one side so you can quickly return to proper angling. I feel this is one of the reasons people think the Colorado is squishy, but if you properly maintain the angle you should not have issues against other BBs.

Members
41 posts
6,688 battles

You'll have to come to terms that sometimes you do indeed miss due to bad aim, and sometimes you will aim well and dispersion kicks you in the nuts, and the key is to not get aggravated and lose your composure. Use all the BB tactics you've learned: keep DD positioning in mind, be mindful of IJN cruiser torps, put yourself where you can be useful.

Special thanks to you. I have to say that I have an aggressive playing style. I think I need to be more calm with this ship.

Beta Testers
86 posts
814 battles

Special thanks to you. I have to say that I have an aggressive playing style. I think I need to be more calm with this ship.

It's not that aggression is bad per se, but aggressively pushing (with all the aggression that 21 knots allows) and eating torps or AP fire from angles you can't do anything about is going to result in bad, bad things. I'm definitely not advocating sitting in the back and sniping since this is bad BB play and hilariously awful in a Colorado, rather, keeping track of things that will ruin your day is a good idea. 

Sign in to follow this