Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Veridical

Newcomers and their failings......

23 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
214 battles

Just started today but only after reading and watching videos and am sad to see 'tank' like playing in WoWs. I mean in open water and stopping to fire? Sorry to seem a little bitter, but for those that really try after reading and watching, your battles are at risk for those that seem not to take into account the nature of the game. Sorry again, I guess I need thicker skin......... call me alligator.....

• Cool 2

[BB_59]
Members
855 posts
3,403 battles

You read and watched videos about a free game before you tried it? I'll admit, stopping in open water is stupid, but we don't need more elitists. Although you did say sorry so I can see no poor intentions were made here.

• Cool 3

[LFD]
Alpha Tester
3,951 posts
723 battles

Just started today but only after reading and watching videos and am sad to see 'tank' like playing in WoWs. I mean in open water and stopping to fire? Sorry to seem a little bitter, but for those that really try after reading and watching, your battles are at risk for those that seem not to take into account the nature of the game. Sorry again, I guess I need thicker skin......... call me alligator.....

it is funny watching QB play this as even though he does it right, he doesn't do it effectively (means you die more) and then there is Jingles

Beta Testers
77 posts
6 battles

Elitist need to go back to WOT.  I see the stopping maneuver done an awful lot, it works at times and not at others.

Beta Testers
825 posts
7,027 battles

The thing that bugs me a lot is when i see the high tier BB sitting in the back not close enough to anything to engage, and basically takes a "if it doesn't come within my range I'm not doing anything" mentality.   Not to say they should be in the middle of a battle, but they need to move to a point where they are keeping their guns going.

At the end of a loss they are last alive - full health or near (perhaps torp plane took some) and they die in a blaze of cannon fire.  Had that ship used its guns and hp in the start of the match it could have been a game-changer.

I always think those were the artillery players in WoT.

Edited by JlNN
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
5 posts
1,836 battles

Targets?  Other than the first salvo missing them, makes it easier to send them to the deep...  But yeah, they need to learn.

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

I like to educate those who stop moving... by shooting them repeatedly.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,885 posts
21,755 battles

You read and watched videos about a free game before you tried it? I'll admit, stopping in open water is stupid, but we don't need more elitists. Although you did say sorry so I can see no poor intentions were made here.

there's a fine line between an elitist and a player who uses their brains.:sceptic:

however, everyone knows its virtual suicide to stop in this game.

Edited by BladedPheonix

[RULE]
Beta Testers
201 posts
12,688 battles

The thing that bugs me a lot is when i see the high tier BB sitting in the back not close enough to anything to engage, and basically takes a "if it doesn't come within my range I'm not doing anything" mentality.   Not to say they should be in the middle of a battle, but they need to move to a point where they are keeping their guns going.

At the end of a loss they are last alive - full health or near (perhaps torp plane took some) and they die in a blaze of cannon fire.  Had that ship used its guns and hp in the start of the match it could have been a game-change.

Just as in WOT this game requires strategic positioning and understeanding range, optimal shooting areas, torp runs, airplane abilities and so on in other words to get it right you need to master a lot of skills, obviously not something you can get as a new player and just as in WOT I think 1k games will be needed to become proficient enough to play decent, most people have one to two hundred games in so far so I wouldn't start criticizing too hard yet, yes there are those who will not go with the program or who get it slowly I guess that's part of it too.

Beta Testers
4,982 posts
6,249 battles

I like to educate those who stop moving... by shooting them repeatedly.

Why shoot them when you can torp them :D

Members
1 post
13 battles

Hi there, I'm a new player!  Rather, all I've really done so far is back-seat pilot as a friend of mine recently picked up this game.  Never actually played a round of my own, and I'm just now starting the download for myself, so that I can join him later today.  

Not too thrilled to see that the linked post to the Newcomer's forum for this game reads as "Newcomers and their failing...".  For a young game that's trying to gain followers, is this really how you want to represent this place?  

Members
1 post
6 battles

ahh yes as a new player(and an MMO Vet)  I never would have guessed these type are in this game .. /sarcasm

I'm downloading now and look forward to trading weapons fire with you all!

Members
4 posts
677 battles

Just as in WOT this game requires strategic positioning and understeanding range, optimal shooting areas, torp runs, airplane abilities and so on in other words to get it right you need to master a lot of skills, obviously not something you can get as a new player and just as in WOT I think 1k games will be needed to become proficient enough to play decent, most people have one to two hundred games in so far so I wouldn't start criticizing too hard yet, yes there are those who will not go with the program or who get it slowly I guess that's part of it too.

True, true. I've only been playing for 4 days, and exclusively play cruisers right now, but I do see what your saying. I think it's also essential to understand the strengths and weaknesses of your own ship to play it more effectively. Even that though, is not a skill one masters overnight. It takes playing the ship over and over again to learn what works with that ship and what will not work. I know for a fact that I have not learned the strengths and weaknesses of my ships by heart, so sometimes my game play is a more conservative, and sometimes I'm feeling bold and play more aggressively. I'm just scratching the tip of the iceberg to figure out what works and what does not with each ship. My highest tier is tier III, so there's many more tiers and many, many more ships for me to learn how to play effectively. WOT was the same way for me. Even at tier III I had not totally figured out how to play all my tanks on each map, effectively. 

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Hi there, I'm a new player!  Rather, all I've really done so far is back-seat pilot as a friend of mine recently picked up this game.  Never actually played a round of my own, and I'm just now starting the download for myself, so that I can join him later today.  

Not too thrilled to see that the linked post to the Newcomer's forum for this game reads as "Newcomers and their failing...".  For a young game that's trying to gain followers, is this really how you want to represent this place?  

I'm going to guess the OP is a WoT veteran. Maybe could have been worded more diplomatically, but basically what he's saying is that a little familiarisation before you dive into the game can make your initial foray less frustrating.

Members
107 posts
7,783 battles

I went over all the NavalAcademy vids while downloading.(Does that make me Elitist? )  I think COOP is very useful for learning these kinds of things however.  Eventually they should notice that they get hit less when moving.  Although I do believe they should add tips ingame for this.  

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,810 posts
10,030 battles

I will say though that stopping or slowing down has allowed me to dodge some heavy torpedo attacks, haha.

Members
72 posts
2,297 battles

I am an old NF player.  Never played WoT, in between NF and WoWs I have been playing a completely unrelated MMO, DDO.

Anyway as an NF player I can say that the idea of stopping in battle is a scary proposition.  You would think that those who do it would realize that it is harder to hit moving targets, after all it does take some practice to get the lead down right.  I can see a new player not making the connection with getting hit more themselves and being stationary though, even if you keep moving there are ups and downs in the rate you take fire.  For people to notice something like that you need for there to be no other explanation but that they have stopped moving, otherwise people will make excuses for their failures and those excuses will not be that something they like to do is a bad idea.  They just got unlucky that DD spotted them or something...  People are so dense about that sort of thing.

This is at least one of the benefits of a clan.  If you play with them they are more likely to tell you when you do something stupid.  Eventually only the most dense of players will not get the hint.

Beta Testers
305 posts
1,519 battles

there's a fine line between an elitist and a player who uses their brains.:sceptic:

however, everyone knows its virtual suicide to stop in this game.

More accurately, it's virtual suicide to stop and STAY stopped.  It's just as bad to sail in a straight line for a long time. And to make a predictable turn, and to sail along at the same speed.

Zigzagging, changing up your speed, and constantly maneuvering will make you a hard target for shipboard guns, torpedoes, and carrier bombers.

• Cool 1

Members
289 posts
1,605 battles

You sir have absolutely NO understanding of Politics, and how to make friends and influence people!  Try to not be a Donald Trump all right?   Honest to god!.. Do you think there is a pill we can send to new players to give them instant smarts and mad skills?

New players are just that new players.  If they insist on doing dumb things I will add them to my kill count with great joy.  If I keep killing the same person over and over though, I make a point of contacting them if I can and telling them how it was I was able to bag them so many times.   Give them an opportunity to learn, and in turn give myself better competition in the game! 

Absolutely no player in this game answers to you, or to me, or to any other player.    If they don't want to learn what tactics work thats their call!  Not yours, not mine.   "WE" can advise them, and give them the low down, and the wise advice.  WE how ever do not command them.  And going around telling them what to do will just get you ignored.

And its really only hurting yourself.   Your next love of your life might be playing this game right now!  But, if yer a jerk, they may end up never talking to you,   Never finding out your the cheese in their cheese cake.  Don't be so harsh to others that they choose to not pay attentions to you.  It's how humans work in mass.  Best be paying attention to it. 

Edited by Deadeye_Pete

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

I have a suggestion for all of the tyros (beginners) out there.  Read the guides in the sub forums. Play the game. Keep an open mind.  If someone offers you advice, please listen.  You can decide for yourself if you want to take it or not.  What works well for me may not for you and vice versa. 

The general climate in this game may be a little different from other games you have played.  Many of the people who give you advice here want you to succeed. We know that the more informed you are, the more we will enjoy the game.  You are going to run into people who will insult you and tell you what to do. Consider the source. You are going to run into trolls and other forms of rude people. Don't dwell on it.

Play the game.  If you try something and have a bad result think about it.  I'm not saying you have to blame yourself. Some times you just get out played.  But before you blame the other guy, or the ship class, or the weapon, or the game, ask yourself what you could have done it differently.

You should start by acknowledging that there are things you can learn.  Then get back to sinking the reds and aiding the greens.

One last thing; have fun.

I hope to see you on the briny.

• Cool 1

Members
51 posts
1,325 battles

Preditor458 has some great vids up as well.

I am encouraged by the volume of You Tube content for new players like Me.

I DO wish that some of the guides, made during closed Beta, were updated to reflect changes though.

[7-TH]
Members
95 posts
6,220 battles

If it's crazy and gets you killed then it's crazy! If it's crazy and it works it's not crazy. Crash stop could help keep you alive in some circumstances, I suppose. I got fooled today buy some clever chap! He was out about 10-11k stern to me sailing slowly away. I couldn't hit the guy for anything. six salvos NO hits. I'm not Davey Crocket but jees. Right before I got pulled off by a more Immediate threat (DD, close aboard). It dawned on me, HE'S BACKING UP. I'm leading his bow just a bit, so I'm shooting long. Crazy? Maybe, but it worked! So it's not crazy! Wont fool me again though.

Fellow Noob

Kormoran

Sign in to follow this