Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_JEJgAhN5LeMR

Getting kind of worried about this game.

48 comments in this topic

Members
1,368 posts

I've tried to give the game some time and to get to a higher level then I managed in CBT but honestly, I am really worried about this game right now because I know that after tier 5, it becomes a serious grind.  And yet, even in the tiers I am currently at, I just don't feel motivated to stay online for more then an hour or so. 

Part of this feeling is the absolutely horrible teams you get.    I can handle that as things will eventually balance out (it is a F2P game after all)

But the MM and the serious balance issues just compound things.  I don't want to start a whole MM sucks thread again but really - it is just painful to have to deal with game after game where there's 2 CV's against 1 or when the CV's are two tiers apart or when one team has two tier VII BB's while the other has all Tier IV's just because they might have a couple of Tier VII DD's.   Heck, i even tried the CV's again for something new and I got 5 matches in a row against American CV's that just ate my airplanes up. 

That pace of most games is horrid. People now realize just how long of a grind it is to get the xp and credits to advance past Tier IV so everyone is doing the WoT equivalent of "camping"...  sitting huddled together near the spawn area waiting for the enemy to appear.  You try and do any flanking maneuvers and you'll find yourself alone and dead.  I don't know if this is partly to do with the way XP and credits are awarded but most players seem to be OK with taking a loss as long as they live longer and get more damage.  There needs to be some incentive to win and the 1.5X bonus per day is just not enough.

Probably the biggest concern I have is that the way this OBT is going, it seems like the devs have already made the "big" changes to the game and are now only working on minor bugs and what not.  That scares the heck out of me because, seriously, as the game stands right now... I doubt I will be playing it in a month.  It needs some big changes.  Not just bug fixes or very minor balancing but new features and reworking of some of the existing ones.  And yet, we are not being asked for input anymore. We are not even being asked to public test the ships they are putting into the game Monday.  The last month has been nothing but PR damage control and minor stuff... when this period of the game's development normally would mean the devs are scrambling with updates and patches on practically daily basis.

I hope I am wrong... lol, I have 85 days of premium still left and a bunch of gold...  but I hope that maybe they will drop a 0.5.0 on us next week with separate crew members, balanced CV's, better MM, more maps, and better Battle Modes... etc. 

This game is like a dish you are cooking that is almost there but just needs a little "something" to really make it great.

• Cool 15

Alpha Tester
17,510 posts

This game is like a dish you are cooking that is almost there but just needs a little "something" to really make it great.

a squeeze of lime

Beta Testers
196 posts
575 battles

That's the problem

this is a brandy game

We need Spanish ships to make it a Tequila game.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,843 posts
7,637 battles

I hope I am wrong... lol, I have 85 days of premium still left and a bunch of gold...  but I hope that maybe they will drop a 0.5.0 on us next week with separate crew members, balanced CV's, better MM, more maps, and better Battle Modes... etc. 

So far they have said only captains, I don't really see any need for more. CV balance is being looked at currently according to WGRU. MM is working as intended, NA server just doesn't have the population needed yet to fully balance it. Map rotation is constantly changing, since this is beta some maps need to be tested more than others. New battle modes have been tested, and have gone back to be re-looked at, but will most likely be returned.

Hope that helps.

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

Best cure is to take a break from the game and come back feeling refresh. It does wonders

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
756 posts
1,545 battles

So far they have said only captains, I don't really see any need for more. CV balance is being looked at currently according to WGRU. MM is working as intended, NA server just doesn't have the population needed yet to fully balance it. Map rotation is constantly changing, since this is beta some maps need to be tested more than others. New battle modes have been tested, and have gone back to be re-looked at, but will most likely be returned.

Hope that helps.

MM as he said, isn't working as intended according to the thoughts of 95% of players.     I'm sure even you will agree, Matchmaker needs to make CV's in a match equal numbers and equal tiers.    Granted this isn't what happened in Real Life....and the numbers were often very poor towards one side or another, but this isn't real life.      My only complaint is the CV matchup....and only that as far as matchmaker goes.

What he said is very very very true about fighter matchup as well.   Anytime i send my japanese fighter squadron against a u.s. squadron.  they lose one bar on their fighters, while my entire squadron is wiped out.    they can put their fighters on my torp bombers, and my entire torp wing is wiped out in 5 seconds flat, i put my fighters on their torp bombers,   and it takes 9 years to shoot em down. lol.

fighter balance needs to be tweaked just a little (not much).   i mean, i should at least be able to kill off 1/2 the u.s. squadron.  *shrug* in my eyes.

Beta Testers
648 posts
15,736 battles

That pace of most games is horrid. People now realize just how long of a grind it is to get the xp and credits to advance past Tier IV so everyone is doing the WoT equivalent of "camping"...  sitting huddled together near the spawn area waiting for the enemy to appear.  You try and do any flanking maneuvers and you'll find yourself alone and dead.  I don't know if this is partly to do with the way XP and credits are awarded but most players seem to be OK with taking a loss as long as they live longer and get more damage.  There needs to be some incentive to win and the 1.5X bonus per day is just not enough.

Same frustration here. I even had a game that most of our team huddled to "A", which I capped at beginning and gave up "B", "C","D" without a fight, leaving our poor carriers open to enemy DDs. I was so angry that I dumped my torpedoes at those cowards and left the game.
  • Cool 1

8,843 posts
7,637 battles

MM as he said, isn't working as intended according to the thoughts of 95% of players.     I'm sure even you will agree, Matchmaker needs to make CV's in a match equal numbers and equal tiers.    Granted this isn't what happened in Real Life....and the numbers were often very poor towards one side or another, but this isn't real life.      My only complaint is the CV matchup....and only that as far as matchmaker goes.

What he said is very very very true about fighter matchup as well.   Anytime i send my japanese fighter squadron against a u.s. squadron.  they lose one bar on their fighters, while my entire squadron is wiped out.    they can put their fighters on my torp bombers, and my entire torp wing is wiped out in 5 seconds flat, i put my fighters on their torp bombers,   and it takes 9 years to shoot em down. lol.

fighter balance needs to be tweaked just a little (not much).   i mean, i should at least be able to kill off 1/2 the u.s. squadron.  *shrug* in my eyes.

The reason mm is screwed up is it is set up for the larger player base in RU. They aren't looking to edit it over here just for us, though I do agree some matches are mismatched. RU is a whole different server where CV's are actually pretty useless from what I've heard about their tactics.

8,843 posts
7,637 battles

Your comment about MM is [edited], but I really don't want to argue about it any more.  There's 16K people on every night and the queue is like 5 seconds average.  If they think that matches where CV's are not even per side or matches where the top tier capital ships can be two tiers apart are OK.. then I guess I won't be playing this game long.  Sorry, I can beat my head against the wall in my room here and save some electricity instead of go into matches where one team can just roll another because "MM is working as intended".  When you are limited to 12 players per side and the matches are 20 mins long, MM has a much larger effect on the game then in WoT matches, for example.  Sometimes I think that Victor Kislyi's nephew or someone is the MM programer and he can't fire him because his wife will put him in the dog house.

It wasn't really my comment, that was kinda quoted from a dev on the RU server.

Beta Testers
542 posts
1,775 battles

Best cure is to take a break from the game and come back feeling refresh. It does wonders

Or play a different class of ship.

I started off just playing DD's and low & behold they got hit hard by the nerf hammer. Wasn't until T3 that they started to be viable. In the meantime, I started playing cruisers. 

Edited by SourKraut13

Alpha Tester
1,997 posts
2,336 battles

Ive had the same fears for a while. The pacing of this game just makes it exhausting. 

The problem is we are dealing with warships. Huge hulking masses of steel and men. The gameplay is already accelerated as far as they can and still maintain the epic feel. So something else has to be added to give more involvement without accelerating the pace of the game anymore. I dont want BBs zipping around like destroyers just for the sake of making matches end quicker. That would be a bigger turn off for most of us than any of the problems currently in the game. 

I dont think they can really accelerate the tech tree any, in fact people already have tier 10s, which means they could probably stand to slow the tech tree progression down some. It should take a month of heavy grinding to get a tier 10, not a week and a half. I think the answer lies in giving us more to control on the ships themselves. Give us the option to jump into the AA guns and shoot at planes, or jump into the secondaries and try to nail that pesky DD. All systems would work on AI as normal if your focusing on fighting something with your main weapons. But something like that would give more "action" during each match. 

We also need incentives for different classes doing their jobs. DDs need to get spotter exp, cruisers and CVs need to get bonus exp for shooting down planes in the presence of friendly ships. And BBs need to get a buff to accuracy at mid-range to get them into the fight more. 

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,322 posts

I've tried to give the game some time and to get to a higher level then I managed in CBT but honestly, I am really worried about this game right now because I know that after tier 5, it becomes a serious grind.  And yet, even in the tiers I am currently at, I just don't feel motivated to stay online for more then an hour or so. 

Part of this feeling is the absolutely horrible teams you get.    I can handle that as things will eventually balance out (it is a F2P game after all)

But the MM and the serious balance issues just compound things.  I don't want to start a whole MM sucks thread again but really - it is just painful to have to deal with game after game where there's 2 CV's against 1 or when the CV's are two tiers apart or when one team has two tier VII BB's while the other has all Tier IV's just because they might have a couple of Tier VII DD's.   Heck, i even tried the CV's again for something new and I got 5 matches in a row against American CV's that just ate my airplanes up. 

Probably the biggest concern I have is that the way this OBT is going, it seems like the devs have already made the "big" changes to the game and are now only working on minor bugs and what not.  That scares the heck out of me because, seriously, as the game stands right now... I doubt I will be playing it in a month.  It needs some big changes.  Not just bug fixes or very minor balancing but new features and reworking of some of the existing ones.  And yet, we are not being asked for input anymore. We are not even being asked to public test the ships they are putting into the game Monday.  The last month has been nothing but PR damage control and minor stuff... when this period of the game's development normally would mean the devs are scrambling with updates and patches on practically daily basis.

HOnestly, it's a fun game to play for an hour...after that it's boring because it's all point and click there is no depth to it any more. It's been this way since mid/late Alpha...the game has become shallower/easier with every patch to the point where there is no real skill involved. While I don't have a lot of battles in OBT, I have a significant amount in prior lifetimes...and to be honest, the balance is just bad. There needs to be a mild nerf to HE-fires & manual torp drop distance as well as a mild buff to BB ACC.
Edited by Redwing6
  • Cool 3

In AlfaTesters
392 posts
6,657 battles

I am right thee with the OP.  While playing in CBT 3.0/3.1 I was just loving this game, and I spent money to encourage them.  It was nearly impossible to persuade my friends to try WoWs because of the WoT experience.  They finally gave WoWs a chance and ended up really enjoying it and we all saw enormous potential.   Then 4.0/OBT dropped and the game is so broken we are astounded at how many things in this game are just an exercise in frustration.  We have all agreed that if it stays as is (as succinctly described by the OP) then we are moving on.  I really don't get it, this is a business to make money from there end, why make these (imho) poor design decisions that have got to making people just walk away?

Foot note...why would anyone suggest this become an even worse grind than it ready is?  A month to tier 10!?!  Seriously, only the welfare warriors would be left and that because it's F2P.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,080 posts
60,239 battles

When I first started playing WoT, I would play match after match after match.  After a few years, I ended up just playing enough to get my dailies on the tanks I was grinding.  Due to burnout.  Right now, in WoWS, I end up playing just enough to get my dailies on the ship lines I'm grinding.  And OB just released a couple of weeks ago.  And without accelerated training, I have no incentive to play any of my premiums.  Also in WoT, I was tired of the fubared MM.  And guess what we have in WoWS.  A fubared MM.

• Cool 1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
11,692 battles

WG's reward's always the bane in their side.

Any competitive/coop game should be strive to imitate the play style professional teams in tournements are doing.

However, due to the reward system, the single most fundamental issue for all WG games, no one in pubs will play as a team. There's no incentive to save your teammates, all exp and credit rewards are based on your own damage. There's every incentive in game to sabotage your teammate s you can do more damage. I've encountered teammate's DDs intentionally sail along side of you on the side closer to the enemy matching your moves to block your torps so his torps can hit the enemy first. Similar things happen in WoT (if you watch Quickybaby's stream he does it regularly, near end game he'd use his tank to shield the remaining enemy so he can get all the dmg done to himself).

The 3rd party rating systems like WN7/8 are just making playing in pubs worse. It does not promote the correct style of game play.

If you watch a WoT tournament match or clan wars match. Everyone will push together, engage together. During a push one tank will always go first and absorb all shots and most likely die as a result, but allows his team to close into melee and deal decisive damage. That's the play style WG's game SHOULD be played. However, good luck convincing anyone in pub games to play that meta. Because it is not rewarding enough.

WG's doing this grind for grind's sake because you need premium time and free exp transfer so they can make money. This is self sabotaging. People do not like playing a team based competitive game with no actual team (that's where most of the whines about MM and game play stem from - no support no team no corporation). The cluster f of bad reward system and 3rd party rating give birth to guides that all states "just use your team as a meat shield and max your own damage".  That sort of recommendation should NEVER be in a TEAM BASED game. And yet this is what we have to deal with.

ALL the problems of this game stem from one source, that's the reward system which does not promote team play nor it helps WG's player retention.

~~~~~~~~~

Corporation is hugely important in ship to ship combat. WG attempts to replicate different type of ship's roles in game without realizing all of them cannot operate individually. You always need to operate with a fleet. Much of the BB whine against CV is from no AA support from any of the teammates. DDs feel hopeless because it's too fragile to carry a team and spotting rewards them little in terms of exp or credit. Cruisers feel game's bad because they don't have enough fire power to defeat a BB, well you don't say?!  CV feels OP because no one's combating them - same reason why people think Arty's op. I've been a open promoter of Anti arty play since closed beta in WoT (which ironically is the mechanism Armored Warfare adopted). There needs to be incentive for CVs to combat other CVs, aircrafts are ALWAYS the first line of defense against enemy CVs. Ship born AAs are more of a last line desperation and should NOT be relied upon as primary defense.

We need a mechanism to promote team play and only team play. Individualism should shine when there's a few left on each team, but before that there needs to be something to promote mutual support and play as a single fleet.

~~~~~~~~

I have a suggestion, since BBs or CVs are usually fleet's flag ships. Allow BB or CV to designate target for focus fire. Any ship firing on that target within designated time or damage range will receive extra reward. This one change will make the entire fleet support their capital ships and move as a group AND it does not require changing current in game reward system.

Edited by NeutralState
  • Cool 4

Beta Testers
258 posts
490 battles

I will gladly wait an extra 15-45 seconds for the MM to give us more balanced teams.  The MM rushing us into lopsided battles just makes me want to stop playing.

Beta Testers
436 posts
2,160 battles

The MM never works as we the players want it. Wish they would just make it so the max was a two Tier difference and even then  that might to much at some tiers.

[-WTP-]
Alpha Tester
834 posts
9,104 battles

MM strikes again:

rLAr4bm.jpg

Though to be fair my buddy and I ended up winning and getting a ton of XP.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
11,692 battles

The MM never works as we the players want it. Wish they would just make it so the max was a two Tier difference and even then  that might to much at some tiers.

You know why? Not enough players.

There's simply not enough players for other styles of match making. WG has to spread the MM bracket wide to compensate for the low player number.

They have player number problem because their game's a huge grind and not enough rewards. There's no reason for the grind to be this long.

What they should've done, especially with this new Captain's skill tree thing. Is simply revamp the reward system. Do it like what League of Legend does. Unlocking new ships at a somewhat reasonable rate, plus a longer grind to max out talents/skills/perks.

People want to experience the game in full, even if it is FTP and it might take longer, but longer as in a reasonable amount of time. I know people that played WoT since release and yet to have one single T10 tank or a full skilled crew. 

People don't like grinds with no end and when the end's reached you get a marginally better ship.

Beta Testers
1,313 posts
12,709 battles

I don't mind the grinds because I don't want noobs playing tier 9 with less than a months worth of playing. Sorry, but anybody who want's easier grinds would be killing the game and not making it better.

Upper tier CV's are so broke right now it's a joke. Unless Wargaming does something to fix that balance I'm outta here as well.

[NORUN]
Members
695 posts
8,870 battles

Don't forget that team play over on the RU server is non existent as well.  Matches there are simple 3-8 minute massive melees with no strategy or communication where everyone zerg rushes the middle and goes point blank. 

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
11,692 battles

Don't forget that team play over on the RU server is non existent as well.  Matches there are simple 3-8 minute massive melees with no strategy or communication where everyone zerg rushes the middle and goes point blank. 

In this reward system, massive melees are actually more efficient for EVERYONE involved to farm exp and credits.

Both team group at one spot and trades damage. Everyone will not get the maximum possible but they'll always get average damage. Chinese servers do this as well. There's something to be said about people living in post communist or communist countries and team work (even though in this team it's more of a collusion).

Edited by NeutralState

Beta Testers
326 posts
6,564 battles

I didn't read the entirely of this thread before posting so my apologies for if I'm repeating someone else.  Another reason why MM is broken is all the high tier premium ships the CBT players brought over.  Right when I got into my tier 5 Kongo I was going up against Atlantas, Sims, and Atagos.  How is that balanced?  Most of those ships will out DPM you unless you get a good citadel shot on them.  Currently though I'm grinding my tier 5 Bogue and 5 out of the 6 matches, MM has put me up against multiple CV's leaving me alone.  Granted I do the smart play and escort my bombers, engage their fighters, and possibly win the dogfight.....leaving either my weakened fighters or bombers wide open for the other CV captain's fighters to clean me up.  One time out of those 6 matches I did go 1v1 against another CV....which happened to be a tier 6 Indy who proceeded to wipe out most of my aircraft leaving me with only 2 planes shot down before the match is over.  I would have no problem if they put the same kind of MM that WoT arty has for CV's where if one team had two than the other will get two as well.

Sign in to follow this