Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Eraden

Query about Battleships in this game

2 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
13 posts
311 battles

I am getting the impression from the time I have spent playing this game, and the posts I have seen in the forums, that WG appears to want battleships to play out much like "tanks" in World of Warcraft. In other words, their PRIMARY role appears to be one of damage soaker. Their ability to do damage appears to be almost secondary to this primary role. This would explain why, for example, while battleships are able to do incredibly huge alpha strikes, these strikes are mitigated heavily by rng. If it really is WG's intention to have battleships play out this particular role, would it be useful to improve on their ability to soak and repair damage? This might go a long ways to allow them to carry out this function.

Additionally, this might explain why many battleship players in this game are at odds with WG on the "fun" factor of battleships. There was an extremely small subset of players in World of Warcraft who enjoyed the role of standing there and taking a beating for the team. Most players wanted to be damage dealers. In real life, I suspect battleships' primary roles were that of damage dealers but in this game, they appear to relegated to damage soakers with a bit of heavy damage thrown in from time to time. I have a friend who loves to play the battleships in this game but he is incredibly frustrated with sitting there and being a punching bag for the team. He's fairly good at minimizing damage to his ships but he's unhappy because he wants to be doing massive amounts of damage to the enemy and finds it difficult to do so.

[GOAT]
Beta Testers
1,523 posts
7,150 battles

I disagree with the assessment of battleships but a lot of people seem to feel this way. I have generally been able to do more damage in Battleships than any other class and I don't really get where other people are having problems.

Beta Testers
2,420 posts
1,809 battles

BB's deal lots of damage through citadel penetrations (especially at higher levels)

Sign in to follow this