Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ajatcho

Hakuryu vs Shinano

35 comments in this topic

Members
943 posts
4,083 battles

well I dont know why Hakruyu is chosen over Shinanao in which Hakruyu didnt even exsist (another paper ship from WG) in which I cant even find it on any sources that it even exsist oppose to the Shinano which does exsist and looks like a worthy contender to be a tier X

sdasdasd_zpsilbzi2cc.png?t=1436458781

Aircraft

SHINANOo4_zps4syljbmx.gif?t=1436461439

well lets start with aircraft Hakuryu carries 100 planes while Shinano carries 120 planes so 20 more planes than Hakuryu

The ship's organic air group was intended to consist of 18 Mitsubishi A7M Reppū (Allied reporting name "Sam") fighters (plus two in storage), 18 Aichi B7A Ryusei ("Grace") torpedo-dive bombers (plus two in storage), and 6 Nakajima C6N Saiun ("Myrt") reconnaissance aircraft (plus one in storage). The remainder of the hangar space would have held up to 120 replacement aircraft for other carriers and land bases.

fdfsdfsdf_zpsdu4lkows.png?t=1436459959

Firepower

jap_cv11_zpslqjtokgw.gif?t=1436461386

secondary/AA guns for the Hakuryu looks good

• 100mm 12x2 (3 turrets per side port and starboard)
  • 40mm 22x2 (11 turrets)

hmmm pretty decent but Shinano has

• 8 × twin 12.7 cm Type 89 dual-purpose guns (two at each corner of the hull)
  • 35 × triple 25 mm Type 96 AA guns (a grand total of 105 guns)
  • 12 × 28 – 12 cm (4.7 in) AA rocket launchers (yes it has a freaking anti-air rockets though not guided)

Speed

sure Hakuryu travels at 34.9 knots while Shinano was designed speed of 27 knots but Shinano never conducted full-speed sea trials so her actual performance is unknown. surely the 34.9 knots was of the Hakuryu was all made up since it's just a paper ship anyway.

Armor

shinano_yamato_4_big_zps2f71c742.jpg

we all know that Shinano was suppose to be a Yamato-class so it has the hull armor of a battlship

The ship's original waterline armor belt thickness of 400 millimeters (15.7 in) was only retained where it had already been installed abreast the magazines, and reduced to 160 millimeters (6.3 in) elsewhere. Below it was a strake of armor that tapered in thickness from 200 millimeters (7.9 in) to 75 millimeters (3.0 in) at its bottom edge. The flat portion of the armor deck over the machinery and magazine spaces, ranging from 100 to 190 millimeters (3.9 to 7.5 in), was retained, and the sloped portion that angled downward towards the bottom of the main armor belt was 230 millimeters (9.1 in) thick. Large external anti-torpedo bulges below the waterline provided the main defense against torpedoes, backed up by an armored bulkhead extending down from the belt armor; the bulkhead was intended to prevent splinters from piercing the main hull and, though not water-tight, was backed by a second one which was. The joint between the upper and lower armor belts was weak and proved to be a serious problem when struck by torpedoes.

Even though Shinano‍ '​s avgas tanks were protected by armor that could resist a 155-millimeter (6.1 in) shell, the IJN attempted to isolate the tanks from the rest of the ship with a cofferdam. However the investigation into the loss of Taihō had revealed that her avgas tanks had sprung leaks after she was torpedoed. The resulting fumes then penetrated the cofferdam and exploded. Therefore the IJN thought it prudent to fill the empty spaces between the tanks and the cofferdam with 2,400 metric tons (2,362 long tons) of concrete to prevent any fumes from escaping.

I dont know about the Hakuryu heard rumors it was a upgraded Taihō :unsure:

it looks to me that Shinano has it all

so the question why prefer the paper ship when some other ship did exsist?

Edited by Ajatcho
  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[GOAT]
Beta Testers
1,523 posts
7,150 battles

They wanted more than one tree I imagine.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

Your quote says itself that the 120 planes were not part of Shinano's air groups. They are there as a method of transporting planes for other carriers and air bases. So Shinano basically has only 40-some planes in her hangar.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
966 posts

The Shinano only carried 47 aircraft, it would make a terrible top-tier CV, it only carried the higher figure when it was used for transport purposes and could stack/cram things.

Edited by Tears_of_Destiny

0 posts

The Shinano only carried 47 aircraft, it would make a terrible top-tier CV.

They actually represented that ingame when it was still in...

It makes me cry every day. 

Members
943 posts
4,083 battles

Your quote says itself that the 120 planes were not part of Shinano's air groups. They are there as a method of transporting planes for other carriers and air bases. So Shinano basically has only 40-some planes in her hangar.

well she could use those planes for herself maybe she was design to transport those planes from island to island (beacuse Japan is almost comletely out of resources to build more carriers beacuse islands dont sink as much as ships do)

Edited by Ajatcho

0 posts

They wanted more than one tree I imagine.

It could be possible to make Shinano tier 10 with heavy buffs (40 planes is a big no no) 

Alpha Tester
177 posts
10,923 battles

Also since Shinano was a Yamato hull,  so what's different on the armor or is it the same? 

Edited by MaxHD2490

Beta Testers
804 posts
981 battles

with 40 planes it would make it tier 5 or 6, but that secondary armament and AA would be too op for those tiers. So either they'll have to nerf it into the ground or buff it into the sky.

Edited by Carrier_Furious

Banned
2,485 posts
977 battles

They actually represented that ingame when it was still in...

It makes me cry every day. 

At least it was hilariously lulzy against cruisers/DDs that fired onto your hull and not your bridge/deck >.>

I see the Shinano as the tier 10 for the 2nd IJN CV line, seeing that Akagi is already confirmed to be part of that tree.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

well she could use those planes for herself maybe she was design to transport those planes from island to island (beacuse Japan is almost comletely out of resources to build more carriers beacuse islands dont sink as much as ships do)

Source please. Just because the material can be placed on board does not necessarily mean that the ship is designed to use it.

[-VT-]
Alpha Tester
2,641 posts
14,056 battles

Well some of us Alpha players got to play it.

It ran out of aircraft, FAST. 

It was a total female dog to sink. It could tank like a Yamato.

The reason it's not here, is there is going to be a second line of Japanese CVs which are based on CVs converted from other ships. That is where the Shinano will wind up, most likely tier X with the air groups buffed.

[DERE]
Beta Testers
624 posts
2,574 battles

Source please. Just because the material can be placed on board does not necessarily mean that the ship is designed to use it.

I think he just means make it part fictional like how Hakuryu was never built

Beta Testers
3,012 posts
1,480 battles

2nd line for IJN CV is converted ships, already stated by a dev previously. so that is why Haku is T10 after Taiho

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

Hakuryu is project G-15 iirc. Blueprint ships although it weren't built still exist. Shinano is actually set to be tier 9 at some point looking at the "what we know about ships" thread.

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,461 posts
1,963 battles

Hakuryu is project G-15

Correct.

As for Shinano, the proposed strike variant rather than the support carrier variant is a tier 10 candidate, likely of the 2nd Japanese CV line.

0 posts

At least it was hilariously lulzy against cruisers/DDs that fired onto your hull and not your bridge/deck >.>

I see the Shinano as the tier 10 for the 2nd IJN CV line, seeing that Akagi is already confirmed to be part of that tree.

I just recall spamming AP onto it. 

[LFD]
Alpha Tester
3,951 posts
723 battles

i think a ram would have been much better, back when the ramming system was if you hit a hostile lightly you both sunk.

the good ole days

Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

As people have mentioned, the current CV line is for purpose built CVs.

The second IJN CV line will be for converted CVs, (Junyou, Kaga, Akagi, etc)

[GOAT]
Beta Testers
1,523 posts
7,150 battles

Also since Shinano was a Yamato hull,  so what's different on the armor or is it the same? 

They hadn't finished installing the armor apparently, so it was only the same as Yamato over the magazines.

Banned
2,485 posts
977 battles

Immune to citadels from DDs :P

It was the only carrier i recall where you couldn't simply throw an 8-inch shell at it from any angle and citadel it XD

Beta Testers
1,102 posts
403 battles

Shinano is pretty good as the tier 9 for the converted IJN carrier tree.

zuiho > hiyo > kaga > akagi > Shinano > better Shinano.

[CHASE]
Beta Testers
1,810 posts
6,062 battles

As people have mentioned, the current CV line is for purpose built CVs.

The second IJN CV line will be for converted CVs, (Junyou, Kaga, Akagi, etc)

In will be Hiyou. If they keep going with the lead ship names. Zuihou is the oddball, in more ways then one. She isn't the lead ship, and she isn't a purpose built carrier.

Members
943 posts
4,083 battles

In will be Hiyou. If they keep going with the lead ship names. Zuihou is the oddball, in more ways then one. She isn't the lead ship, and she isn't a purpose built carrier.

well true Zuiho is kinda odd in the tree a converted