Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CasualCat2001

Torpedo damage exploration/questions for non-BB targets (video included)

10 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
307 posts
1,303 battles

I've noticed in many games that torpedoes usually don't hit for full damage.  This is expected for BBs because of their torpedo bulges, but I was curious about other "soft" targets.  I've seen anecdotal posts about people using multiple torpedoes on a single DD and have experienced this myself (having 2 torpedoes not kill another IJN DD as the second torpedo hit for 500).

So I decided to test some of this.  At the end of this post is my video and a table of damages.  In the video, I hit DDs with single torpedoes and cruisers for 1 or 2 torpedoes.  A couple tests had to be thrown out due to sloppy aim and/or torpedo drift which caused too many torpedoes to hit the targets.

Observations:

-Didn't realize torpedo drift could be so extreme even with the many matches I played in DDs in CBT

-In the video 2 targets hit by 2 torpedoes (Omahas) hit for the exact same total damage.  While this could be coincidence, it is suspect and suggests to me some mechanic determining damage other than simply RNG (possibly max damage calc with chance for full damage then RNG applied)

-Damage as a percentage of target HP averaged ~82% on my targets (table is below feel free to parse it differently)

-Torpedo damage was averaging ~55% of max

-Torpedoes generally did less damage on targets with less HP (comparing IJN DDs to USN DDs)

-more testing still needed (I realize sample size here is small, but the results are in line with the average damage I see in real matches)

Outstanding questions:

-Do center hits for DDs always do more damage? (needs additional testing) edit: confirmed below this is the case

-Is there a design mechanic that generally favors not one-shotting other DDs with torpedoes?

-Does this same mechanic exist for 2 torpedo hits on CLs?

-When and how often do torpedoes hit for full damage?

-does tier play a factor? (the one single torpedo DD kill I got was a same tier DD, but could also be because it was a center hit)

-Given already lower torpedo damage is there no actual additional mitigation (from the bulges) for BBs?  

From the video (Hatsuharu torpedo damage is 17233):

target damage #torps Full HP % of hp % of max torp dmg
Mutsuki 8865 1 9800 90.5 54.4
Omaha 19146 2 23100 82.9 55.6
Omaha 19146 2 23100 82.9 55.6
Aoba 9245 1 26300 35.2 53.6
Nicholas 9832 1 12000 81.9 57.1
Minekaze 8757 1 9600 91.2 50.8
Mutsuki 8700 1 9800 88.8 50.5
Nicholas 9979 1 12000 83.2 57.9
Minekaze 8307 1 9600 86.5 48.2
Mahan 9062 1 11700 77.5 52.6
Mahan 11700* 1 11700 100 67.9* 

*damage isn't going to show more than the max hp of the ship so the true value here isn't known

Edited by CasualCat2001

Beta Testers
86 posts
814 battles

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/18034-basics-damage-mechanics/

Relevant portion:

The torpedo damage and chance of flooding depends on the torpedo itself and the anti torpedo protection of the ship. It progresses with the tiers where tier 1 ships don't have any (so 0% reduction) and tier 10 BBs (best anti torpedo protection) have 50% reduction of damage and chance of flooding, the rest is scaled inbetween. The flooding damage itself also depends on the tier and it's between 0.5% and 0.125% hp/sec. That mean that tier 1 ships will lose 0.5%hp/sec, while tier 10 only 0.125% hp/sec. There can be only 1 flooding. Destroyers take increased torpedo damage in the middle section of their ship, that's why sometimes 1 torpedo from TB can oneshot them even if the max damage is lower then their hp pool.

Beta Testers
3,012 posts
1,480 battles

there is the potential to do more than the maximum damage. most I've got is nearly 12 k on a destroyer, non citadel

Beta Testers
86 posts
814 battles

Destroyers take increased torpedo damage in the middle section of their ship, that's why sometimes 1 torpedo from TB can oneshot them even if the max damage is lower then their hp pool.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,194 posts
15,770 battles

Relevant portion:

The torpedo damage and chance of flooding depends on the torpedo itself and the anti torpedo protection of the ship. It progresses with the tiers where tier 1 ships don't have any (so 0% reduction) and tier 10 BBs (best anti torpedo protection) have 50% reduction of damage and chance of flooding, the rest is scaled inbetween. The flooding damage itself also depends on the tier and it's between 0.5% and 0.125% hp/sec. That mean that tier 1 ships will lose 0.5%hp/sec, while tier 10 only 0.125% hp/sec. There can be only 1 flooding. Destroyers take increased torpedo damage in the middle section of their ship, that's why sometimes 1 torpedo from TB can oneshot them even if the max damage is lower then their hp pool.

There is also the RNG from the damage range for the torpedoes. This can make for some interesting results, a DD taking four surface launched torpedoes and living or a full health BB going down to two air launched torpedoes, it was my Fuso back in alpha.

Beta Testers
307 posts
1,303 battles

Relevant portion:

I don't have access to that link.  I'm guessing that is a dev post there?  I wonder how much actual variance there is in the damage reduction scaling.  It doesn't appear to be much. For example the reduction was near 50% on a couple of my test cases.

I would expect BBs to have significantly better reduction than other ships whose main reduction will be better avoidance.  That helps though I didn't realize all ships had built in reduction.

there is the potential to do more than the maximum damage. most I've got is nearly 12 k on a destroyer, non citadel

I've seen torpedoes do more than max damage as well, though it is pretty rare.  Every once in a while you get a golden torpedo.

Edited by CasualCat2001

[LFD]
Alpha Tester
3,951 posts
723 battles

I've seen torpedoes do more than max damage as well, though it is pretty rare.  Every once in a while you get a golden torpedo.

either a citadel or a Magazine hit.

however i can tell you a Fuso will not survive a 20 torp salvo from a Mogami at .25km

Edited by BnaditCorps

[-VT-]
Alpha Tester
2,641 posts
14,056 battles

I've one-shot a BB with a torpedo from the Simms, so yes, it's possible to get a magazine hit with torpedoes. 

[-VT-]
Alpha Tester
2,641 posts
14,056 battles

From what I've observed it doesn't really matter given that Destroyers can just spam massive numbers of torpedoes.

Depends on the tier, as the higher tiers have longer reloads. 

Sign in to follow this