Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mouth1313

Poll about CV-BB interaction

23 comments in this topic

Members
750 posts
1,271 battles

Just trying to figure out what the player base thinks. I think no, because then what is the point?

[PPNA1]
[PPNA1]
Beta Testers
2,229 posts
29,229 battles

Just trying to figure out what the player base thinks. I think no, because then what is the point?

No, otherwise CV fails its purpose as the hard counter to Battleships. Actually I'd say dodging more than 1/4 or 2/6 means CV have failed its purpose because the long reload. If a CV can't heavily damage/sink a lone battleship then it have no purpose in the game.
Edited by Cpt_VictorHenry_USN

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,312 posts
23,671 battles

Hmm that is a tough question. I would say given equal good skill then yes a TB squadron will have a lot of trouble getting the flank of a BB player that sees them coming and it is 1 on 1. However equal skill two TB squadrons nope, BB gonna take some hits all things being equal.

Now same question equal bad skill then the auto attack will work against most BB's scoring some hits.

Skill in this game makes a very large impact. Most BB's I see that take massive hits look like they do not even see it coming. No change in speed or course they just eat it, and cry about it.

If a CV player focus a BB with multiple squadrons at once,  then yeah CV should more or less be the hard counter for the BB. Particularly the lone wolf BB.

Edited by paradat

Members
750 posts
1,271 battles

Hmm that is a tough question. I would say given equal good skill then yes a TB squadron will have a lot of trouble getting the flank of a BB player that sees them coming and it is 1 on 1. However equal skill two TB squadrons nope, BB gonna take some hits all things being equal.

Now same question equal bad skill then the auto attack will work against most BB's scoring some hits.

I'm not asking if it can be done currently, only if it SHOULD be able to. 

[LFD]
Alpha Tester
3,951 posts
723 battles

Skill in this game makes a very large impact. Most BB's I see that take massive hits look like they do not even see it coming. No change in speed or course they just eat it, and cry about it.

If a CV player focus a BB with multiple squadrons at once,  then yeah CV should more or less be the hard counter for the BB. Particularly the lone wolf BB.

unless it is an un-nerfed Iowa...RIP planes

[VEN0M]
Members
10 posts
6,230 battles

just my 2 cents....

Historically, the CV's were what made BB's obsolete in open sea naval combat.  In WW1, the dreadnoughts ruled the waves, in WWII, it was the carriers. 

Alpha Tester
256 posts
8,682 battles

CVs should not be the hard counter to anything. It just doesn't fit with the rock-paper-scissors dynamic. Whatever makes them strong against BBs also makes them stronger against cruisers and DDs, just to a lesser extent. And if the CV is a hard counter to the BB, what is the hard counter to the CV? There is nothing that can directly take the CV out of the fight in the same way a CV can take out a BB, other than another CV, which means we should all be driving carriers (see point #1).

This is what happened in real life, but that's not fun for everyone else in the game. CVs should be a soft counter to everything - they beef up a team's overall firepower, strength, and flexibility. But they don't fit the triangle of the DD-CA-BB group.

Beta Testers
840 posts
595 battles

I think they should just move CV's up to tier 5.

OR

Add AA into tier 4.

That's really the problem we're seeing right now.

Alpha Tester
3,710 posts
1,392 battles

EDIT: It seems like nobody understands the ops question -_-

Id say yes, it should take two squadrons under ideal circumstances for the BB.

There are plenty of circumstances in game where a single direction attack would still be effective due to terrain, other ships being present, the BB already turning for some reason, etc.

But assuming open ocean with just one BB vs one CV i think the CV should be required to use two squadrons to attack from two different directions to hit a good BB.

Beta Testers
140 posts
1,261 battles

The Best Cv player will win eventually its a question of  angle of attacks. Torpedoes from the bow and side or From both side are eventually going to chew the  BB down  BB's cant comb all the wakes

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,591 posts
5,060 battles

As a hardcore BB player I voted no. 

Because far too many times I've seen a meh TB attack get reset 3-4 times, whilst I'm turning, to hit me square in the broadside no matter how much I do to stop it. 

And maybe for his troubles I'll shoot down one of his planes if I'm lucky. 

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,591 posts
5,060 battles

Hes not asking how it is, hes asking how it aught to be.

well I'm tired to the bone, but honestly, in my cloudy mind the Way it is and the way it ought to be are lining up pretty well for CV players

I might be wrong though.  

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,421 posts
2,511 battles

The thing is according to WG CV's are soft counters to everything. However in the current meta its a hard counter to BB's, soft counter to CA/CL's, and almost no counter to DD's.

Members
750 posts
1,271 battles

It's not about in game mechanics or anything currently in game. This is supposed to be a concept poll. Not CAN a BB player avoid all the torps, but SHOULD a BB be able to dodge them. Of course you have to assume equal skill level, so we'll just assume it's the best player in each.

If a BB CAN dodge all the torps from a proper TB run from 1 squadron, then there is no reason a U.S. CV should have to wait till T9 to get 2 TB squadrons.

Beta Testers
3,072 posts
1,908 battles

But assuming open ocean with just one BB vs one CV i think the CV should be required to use two squadrons to attack from two different directions to hit a good BB.

So only tier 9 and ten US CV should be able to hit in this case? If both sides have equal skill that BB should take a torp or two.

Beta Testers
555 posts
65 battles

Yes, a BB should be able to dodge torpedos from CV's. 

As it is currently a CV will wipe the floor with a BB, equal skill given.

Beta Testers
1,113 posts
500 battles

a skilled BB player would team up with CAs for AA support and the CV will lose. . . (team work OP)

but 1 v 1 the CV would be able to counter a BB player with equal skill because that is how the rock, paper, ship theory works.

Beta Testers
555 posts
65 battles

a skilled BB player would team up with CAs for AA support and the CV will lose. . . (team work OP)

but 1 v 1 the CV would be able to counter a BB player with equal skill because that is how the rock, paper, ship theory works.

teaming up =/= to do with skill for hte BB.

A BB is subject to his team due to how slow it is. Sorry. :/

Edited by MandoWarrior1

Alpha Tester
3,710 posts
1,392 battles

So only tier 9 and ten US CV should be able to hit in this case? If both sides have equal skill that BB should take a torp or two.

Keep in mind we are talking a very fundamental mechanic here. In the actual game other stuff would be going on. Some BB may be target fixated, some BB may be already turning because something else (torpedo/enemy bb is shooting at them) and be unable to freely turn.

So lets look at this from the scenario given, where there is ONLY a CV and ONLY a BB. The CV still has dive bombers, the CV is faster than the BB, by forcing the BB to evade their TB the BB can be kept back out of spotting range indefinitely buying the CV all the time in the world it needs to just dive bomb the BB.

So in this specific scenario the CV is still the one likely to win, and In actual practice there shouldn't be any shortages of things to TB.

That said i think CVs need a major rework anyway, though thats not likley to happen. Point is though, even in the current game, if a BB could indefinitely evade a one-direction TB attack from a CV, the CV would still be stronger than the BB.

Sign in to follow this