You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Penryn87

A short guide to Captain Training, Retraining, and Premium Ships.

30 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
88 posts
1,093 battles

For some new players and some old as well, I have found that the premium ships and captain training mechanic can be a little confusing. So to help sort this out, I wanted to create this quick guide for old and new players alike. 

As you know, one of the advantages of premium ships is that any captain from the same nation can be assigned to that ship without retraining, but there are some things to be aware of.

Retraining is not required when -

1. Captain of regular ship A goes to Premium 1, 2, 3 (any premium ship of the same nation), and is this moved back to his original regular ship A.
  2. Premium ship captain is moved to any premium ship of the same nation.

Retraining is required when -

1. Captain of Regular Ship A is moved to Regular Ship B.
  2. Captain of Premium Ship 1 is moved to any regular ship that he was not assigned to before being assigned to Premium Ship 1. Or was recruited when that premium ship was placed in the fleet and is now being assigned to a regular fleet ship for the first time.

So for instance - If you have warspite, you can train a Royal Navy captain on that ship, but once the royal navy tier comes out, that captain will have to be retrained on whatever royal navy ship you assign him to.

An important point to know if you decided to move a captain from one regular ship to another regular ship: If you move a captain to Regular Ship B from Regular Ship A, retraining is required. BUT, you can also move that captain to any premium ships of the same nation after he is assigned to Regular Ship B and that captain will gain XP for his retraining on Regular Ship B. 

My strategy - With exception to the Royal and Soviet navies, your premium ships should be captain free, and you should just move a captain to those ships when you want to play them. That captain then receives training experience, and is then moved back to the regular ship he commanded previously, no retraining.

Edited by Penryn87
  • Cool 3

Beta Testers
33 posts
3,385 battles

i.move my captain from ship  a to ship b and normally do the 200k silver option that keeps all the skill points but requires several thousand exp before your exp goes to new skill points.  I have found it very handy to put the captain in a premium ship  because all his skills are active in it...  There is nothing more frustrating than trying to retrain your desktop captain without situational awareness...

BTW what does the free retrain option do for you?  does the captain lose all his skill points?

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
88 posts
1,093 battles

i.move my captain from ship  a to ship b and normally do the 200k silver option that keeps all the skill points but requires several thousand exp before your exp goes to new skill points.  I have found it very handy to put the captain in a premium ship  because all his skills are active in it...  There is nothing more frustrating than trying to retrain your desktop captain without situational awareness...

BTW what does the free retrain option do for you?  does the captain lose all his skill points?

You can pay gold and have the captain automatically trained, 200,000 credits for half retraining, or no credits for full retraining. 
  • Cool 1

Members
1 post
121 battles

So just to be clear.  If I take my captain from my T4 cruiser and move him to my T5 cruiser that I just unlocked I have 3 options: Gold which makes him fully usable from the start, silver which means he has his skills but needs to be retrained, or nothing which means he has to relearn everything?

Basically when you say retrain is that a amount of XP the captain must earn before his skills are active again?

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,551 posts
20,985 battles

Gold retraining makes and skills/perks fully available.

The 200K option means the skill/perks are available, but only work at 50% until he finishes the retraining.

The free option means no skills/perks until he finishes the retraining.

• Cool 1

[PN]
Members
5 posts
12,996 battles

Does this mean I can also retrain (example) a captain from a Cruiser to a Battleship?  Or Destroyer to Battleship? etc...

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,081 posts
60,319 battles

How much xp does it require to retrain a captain?

Either with 200000 silver, or the free option...

It depends on how much xp the commander has.  It appears to be a % of the total amount of XP the commander has.  So at low xp levels, the commander may finish retraining in a single battle but a commander of a higher level may take multiple battles.
  • Cool 1

[OLDSK]
Beta Testers
431 posts
10,676 battles

Does this mean I can also retrain (example) a captain from a Cruiser to a Battleship?  Or Destroyer to Battleship? etc...

Yes.  Captains are not tied to a particular type of ship like in WoT, only a particular nation.  That said, a captain who has several torpedo skills will be inferior when commanding a battleship.  The retraining time is either, xp equal to the xp needed for the current level if free training is taken, or half that amount for 200,000 silver.
  • Cool 1

Members
2 posts

Thx Patton.

If its correct what 56Bravo wrote, i need to get 100% of the xp, the commander had before (with free training), but during this time, at least i get 50% of the effectiveness of the skills he already has...

[COPE-]
Beta Testers
7 posts
1,841 battles

Quick question.

Can I take a, for example, Cleveland commander, move him to a premium Sims, then move him to the premium arkansas beta, and then back to the Cleveland, penalty free? Or is it only moving him to one premium ship and back?

Thanks in advance.

Members
376 posts
1,961 battles

Quick question.

Can I take a, for example, Cleveland commander, move him to a premium Sims, then move him to the premium arkansas beta, and then back to the Cleveland, penalty free? Or is it only moving him to one premium ship and back?

Thanks in advance.

That would work fine. You can move the captain between as many premiums ships, of the same nation, as you have and then back to their original ship without penalty.

• Cool 2

[PLPT]
Beta Testers
287 posts
3,121 battles

What is crazy to me is that I can have a commander trained in my Clemson (a destroyer), and when I move him into my Nicholas (another destroyer) he needs to be retrained. BUT I can put him in my Arkansas Beta and he is perfectly good at driving that battleship. And then after 5-6 battles in the battleship he has enough experience to complete the retraining and is all of a sudden he is able to drive the destroyer.

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,474 battles

Note that if you move a captain to a premium ship for retraining then un-assign him (put him in the free pool), you will see he retains the name of his original ship, meaning he can go back to his original ship without retraining. Be careful not to assign him to another regular ship by mistake (I did once), as now the name of the original regular ship gets changed to the new one, and he needs retraining all over again.

Also note that as the captain gains experience and grows in rank (past row 3) the training requirements get much steeper. Now it takes seemingly forever to get to the next level. This is something we have complained about and needs to be fixed, or eased a bit, (maybe premium ships should have the added bonus of accelerated captain training, maybe at 1.5x or something like that).

• Cool 1

[LN-W]
Members
2 posts
1,459 battles

ok nevermind, i found out this evening that you needed to be level 5.

Jaq

Edited by Jaquomot

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,535 posts
29,684 battles

This is an excellent article. I wish I'd seen it when it first came out. Can you confirm that once you've selected the perks for the captain that you don't get to reset them (for free) during retraining. If you have an IJN BB captain at a more senior level with perks specifically chosen for a BB, then he will be driving your premium Fujin with BB perks (no torpedo skills, awareness, etc - just gun perks). Thats the bad. The good is the captain gets the XP added while in the Fujin. Is that correct?

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,474 battles

This is an excellent article. I wish I'd seen it when it first came out. Can you confirm that once you've selected the perks for the captain that you don't get to reset them (for free) during retraining. If you have an IJN BB captain at a more senior level with perks specifically chosen for a BB, then he will be driving your premium Fujin with BB perks (no torpedo skills, awareness, etc - just gun perks). Thats the bad. The good is the captain gets the XP added while in the Fujin. Is that correct?

That is correct. A BB Captain runnijng a premium DD (e.g. Fujin) will gain XP but some of the skills will be useless for a DD.

The only wait to re-arrange the skill points is by spending gold.

• Cool 1

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

I'm a bit confused.

Say you move a captain from Ship A to Ship B, pick the 200k silver option, and he's at 50% effectiveness during his retraining period. You then move him to Premium Ship X. Will he be also at 50% effectiveness on Premium Ship X while retraining, or at the full 100% while retraining? If he's at 50% effectiveness, I'm not sure why premium ship retraining would be any better, aside from the fact that premium ships get the 50% xp boost over non premiums. 

[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
506 posts
11,518 battles

I'm a bit confused.

Say you move a captain from Ship A to Ship B, pick the 200k silver option, and he's at 50% effectiveness during his retraining period. You then move him to Premium Ship X. Will he be also at 50% effectiveness on Premium Ship X while retraining, or at the full 100% while retraining? If he's at 50% effectiveness, I'm not sure why premium ship retraining would be any better, aside from the fact that premium ships get the 50% xp boost over non premiums. 

He will be at 100% effectiveness while in the premium ship.

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

Indeed. Although despite having already spent money on the warspite and murmansk (no regrets), I'm thinking of getting the Atlanta as it's the perfect boat for training USN destroyer captains