You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
EvilBrokenCaptain

Getting Opinions from WoT Veterans on WoWs

26 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
1,312 posts
4,574 battles

I'm just starting this thread to read Tanker impressions on this game.  I have a couple of questions for you WoT veterans and I think it would be a fun discussion!  Here are my questions!  I also answered them to get the conversation going.

1.  What are your impressions so far; what do you like or dislike about this game?

Ever since, testing it in CAT, I still love this game and can't stop playing.  I don't like the RNG (luck) when playing BBs, I think my hit performance would be so much better if it weren't for it (currently its 33%). 

2.  What are the key differences in gameplay experience between this and WoT?

I think this game has alot more room for making and correcting mistakes during a battle.  It starts slow but when the action starts, it gets very intense.  You're aiming your guns while dodging torps, and steering your ship for optimal battle results.  Plus this game, like WoT, encourages team play.  I think each class of ship has unique characteristics as well.

3.  Did this make you more interested in naval warship history?

Personally, I've always had an interest in naval history.

4.  Would you recommend this game?

Yes!  It's a great game for those who never considered playing a naval warship game.  It has a good balance to it between sim and arcadey gameplay.

5.  Do you think Warships is a great addition to the Wargaming trilogy when compared to WoT and WoWp?

I think its a great addition, with just a few more tweaks, I think the future is bright for this entry.  It has potential in the console market too.

6. Do you have any personal favorites among the ships?

I have several actually, In CAT and CBT, I loved the Cleveland, Fuso, Des Moines, Mogami, Fletcher, Benson, Atlanta, Amagi, New Mexico...so many! 

In OBT, My current fave is the Fuso despite the RNG.

7.  What are you looking forward to playing in this game current or planned?

I'm looking forward to Team Battles, hoping for weather effects, the Bismark, Scharnhorst.  I might delve into CVs again. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,312 posts
4,574 battles

What classifies as a "veteran?"

Someone who has enough battles under their belt to fully form an opinion on this game compared to WoT.

[HFXSD]
Beta Testers
753 posts
8,107 battles

Someone who has enough battles under their belt to fully form an opinion on this game compared to WoT.

You cannot compare WoWS to WoT. Two completely different games. 

Members
16 posts
217 battles

1.  What are your impressions so far; what do you like or dislike about this game?

5.  Do you think Warships is a great addition to the Wargaming trilogy when compared to WoT and WoWp?

1, I really like the game so far.

2. It seem to have a lot to offer to different styles of play. All ship types have their place and style.

3. Somewhat, I'm a history buff as it is.

4. Oh yes, if you liked tanks you will probably like this.

5. Yes, I didn't like planes.

6. Not sure yet. I am currently playing battleships. Tier 4 currently.

7. New maps, I like getting to know new maps. Looking forward to playing the carriers and destroyers..

Members
174 posts
9,458 battles

I'm just starting this thread to read Tanker impressions on this game.  I have a couple of questions for you WoT veterans and I think it would be a fun discussion!  Here are my questions!  I also answered them to get the conversation going.

I've got about 20k games in WoT, so I might classify as a veteran.

1. I love this game.  I used to play about 50 or 60 battles per day in WoT, but since OBT in WoWS, I've only played 28 battles in WoT.  WoT's has become so toxic nad frustrating with RNG.  This game will probably become the same, but until it does, I love it.  What I hate most about this game is no in-game comms for divisions and the extremely hard to read fonts on the screens.

2.  I've seen a lot of people, obviously used to WoT, try to sit still behind and island and snipe.  The gameplay is totally different and people need to forget their WoT mentality.  Teamwork is key and it's nice not being 1 shotted by arty on the other side of the map.

3. Not really.

4. Highly.

5. Yes, it's great.  WoWP was a failure (too many plane games out there already), but at least 2 out of 3 isn't bad.  That's a 67% wr for WG

6. Well, right now I'm only up to tier V, but one of my favorites has to be the St. Louis

7. Don't really know enough about the ships yet, but I'm wanting to give the Cleveland a try.

Edited by Leeferr

Alpha Tester
1,312 posts
4,574 battles

You cannot compare WoWS to WoT. Two completely different games. 

There are similarities, you just have to try...
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,312 posts
4,574 battles

I've got about 20k games in WoT, so I might classify as a veteran.

1. I love this game.  I used to play about 50 or 60 battles per day in WoT, but since OBT in WoWS, I've only played 28 battles in WoT.  WoT's has become so toxic nad frustrating with RNG.  This game will probably become the same, but until it does, I love it.  What I hate most about this game is no in-game comms for divisions and the extremely hard to read fonts on the screens.

2.  I've seen a lot of people, obviously used to WoT, try to sit still behind and island and snipe.  The gameplay is totally different and people need to forget their WoT mentality.  Teamwork is key and it's nice not being 1 shotted by arty on the other side of the map.

3. Not really.

4. Highly.

5. Yes, it's great.  WoWP was a failure (too many plane games out there already), but at least 2 out of 3 isn't bad.  That's a 67% wr for WG

6. Well, right now I'm only up to tier V, but one of my favorites has to be the St. Louis

7. Don't really know enough about the ships yet, but I'm wanting to give the Cleveland a try.

Yeah, toxicity is something that will only grow in this game but Im looking forward to the ability to filter chat.  I forgot to mention the Alaska Class ships as somethign to look forward to.  Des Moines players better watch out! 

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

I just really like it all around. Good attention to detail -- visual effects and sounds come together really nicely to bring me into the game. I like that every ship, from the smallest to largest, has a role and can't be ignored. I like all the potential there is to work together. That really satisfying feeling when you put some large shells into a cruiser attacking a division friend, or sic fighters on TBs going after them.

With how long matches can run, it does kind of suck to die early. MM is frustrating, last night my T4 was pitted against a T6 CV. Among other things.

To me it seems a lot more dynamic. WoT has a lot of hiding in bushes and stuff. I liked light tanks for their run-and-gun style... well in Warships, everyone's constantly on the move.

TBH, not really. I'll read the little in game paragraphs though.

Already have. From the complaints on the forums you would think the game is barely playable but IMO it's no worse than tanks. The few I've gotten to try it have a lot of fun.

Yes. But I never played WoWP.

Minekaze, Kitakami, Hiryuu, Ishizuchi. I liked CBT Langley better than I would like the current one...

TBH I like both the USN and IJN tier 1 boats too.

Well there was a post recently that said, long term, WG might consider submarines again. I'd really like to play uboats. More immediately I'm looking forward to getting back in a Hiryuu.

Other things in their long term plans: Weather, night battles, BBs with torpedos, etc.

Beta Testers
108 posts
792 battles

I have 15k+ battles in wot with crappy stats do I count as a veteran!?!?!?!?! LoL I like WoSW kinda like tanks on the ocean LOL..:)

Members
188 posts

oh no, no no no no no no. No Subs. No. I do not want to turn the corner in my cute little DD to see torpedoes from an invisible undersea muffin closing distance to contact in a few seconds

World of Warships doesn't have the tension at the low tiers so I can't offer my opinion. But in WOT the Pz IVH...

Edited by anonym_2ZNiJLJL8ln2

Beta Testers
108 posts
792 battles

Sorry to lazy to answer all those questions anyways it pain in the butt to do huge post from a smart phone.

[RED]
Alpha Tester
429 posts
14,838 battles

A lot of the WOT vets showing up still have to break a lot of habits from WOT that just don't work over here.....:popcorn:

[T_D_F]
Beta Testers
173 posts
17,016 battles

I like how well optimized the game is, and how nice the graphics are.

I dislike how grindy the game has become. The increased XP between ships and the increased costs for everything has just sucked all the fun out of the game.

This game is significantly more unforgiving than WoT. It is far more difficult to stay hidden in every class of ship, meaning capable carrier and destroyer pilots decide the game more often than the team as a whole.

No

At this time I would not. In the CBT version, I would. They have artificially padded out the game with absurd grind times to get people to fork over even more money. The game is unplayably slow as it stands.

If the enormous grind issue were corrected, it could be. As it is now, it is not.

Nothing at the moment. Grinds are so long I have not been able to reach any ships that I had enjoyed in the CBT.

Nothing really. I had been looking forward to California and New Mexico, but those ships were nerfed below real life capabilities for the sake of "balance". God knows what they'll do to other ships I might like.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Let's compare War Thunder to Warship Gunner 2, while we're at it

World of Tanks is a totally different game from this, the gameplay is very different.

Alpha Tester
922 posts
5,325 battles

I've been in CAT and I liked it the way it was.

- The bots in PvE were initially too accurate but now they don't land hits as often as they did, though it seems that has been made up for with increased critical and citadel hits.

- Destroyers used to have 3 smoke charges and I felt that was a reasonable amount to use. Reducing it to 2 smoke charges was uncalled for. I can understand reducing the duration of the smoke but not the reduction of amount of charges.

- Aircraft carriers (USN carriers at least) used to have reasonably balanced loadouts of aircraft but after IJN carriers were introduced the loadouts seemed to focus too much on dive bombers. My preferred loadouts were 1F/2TB/1DB or 2F/2TB/1DB. I'll still play carriers from time to time but I think the old loadouts are better.

- Most noticeable difference, which I find some new WoWS players fail to realize, is aircraft carriers are NOT artillery. Unlike arty in WoT, aircraft carriers can use any of their planes to scout.

- Battles are much more active.

Personally, I've always had an interest in naval history. (Sorry for copying your quote, evildrtran. That pretty much was what I thought when I read your question. :P)

-  I would like to say yes but with the current state of the game I'd say no. My main reasons are the aircraft carrier loadouts, nerfs to AA and smoke charge capacity. HE fires would be among those reasons also but as I play both BBs and cruisers, I feel there is something off about fires caused by HE. Cruisers need it to take down BBs but at the same time it feels like HE fires I receive are excessive when I'm playing BBs.

- WoWS certainly offers different kinds of gameplay so I think it is a good addition to WG's titles.

- Cleveland

- New Mexico

- Warspite

- Ranger

- Lexington

- Atlanta

- St. Louis

- Iwaki (Death Pickle!)

- I'd like to see historical battles in co-op. The AI has gotten better but it still tends to get stuck on certain maps. Some tweaks to the AI could make that better and perhaps someday play co-op historical battles.

[RAZGZ]
Beta Testers
814 posts
14,926 battles

Ever since, testing it in CAT, I still love this game and can't stop playing.  I don't like the RNG (luck) when playing BBs, I think my hit performance would be so much better if it weren't for it (currently its 33%). 

I think this game has alot more room for making and correcting mistakes during a battle.  It starts slow but when the action starts, it gets very intense.  You're aiming your guns while dodging torps, and steering your ship for optimal battle results.  Plus this game, like WoT, encourages team play.  I think each class of ship has unique characteristics as well.

Yes!  It's a great game for those who never considered playing a naval warship game.  It has a good balance to it between sim and arcadey gameplay.

I think its a great addition, with just a few more tweaks, I think the future is bright for this entry.  It has potential in the console market too.

I have several actually, In CAT and CBT, I loved the Cleveland, Fuso, Des Moines, Mogami, Fletcher, Benson, Atlanta, Amagi, New Mexico...so many! 

I'm looking forward to Team Battles, hoping for weather effects, the Bismark, Scharnhorst.  I might delve into CVs again. 

The game is OK at this point,  but it needs some still major fixing.   I have recommended the game to a number of my friends.

Without better MM and balancing the game will struggle my opinion.  In WoT's I pretty much sold all my high tier tanks and in CBT I could see the same things happening.   Your at this point much better off playing mid tier CA's.

I don't care for the same crowd that drive scouts in WoT again driving like that in this game.  Too many just run up and Kamakize,  it ruins whatever team based aspect there might be in the game.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

1. Love the quality of the modeling, physical movement of the ships, most of the physics, music is top notch.  Bad is they don't have balance quite right and plane physics are just horrible.

2. Way different change of pace and how the match develops. Top it off you have to have a way higher spatial awareness.

3. Not so much naval history insomuch actual classes of ships. I know a decent amount about naval history.

4. Yes but with the warning of take your time and don't rush.

5. Oh god yes.  With some changes this could be the best game out of the trio.

6. Can't play this game and not have favs.  For me Minekaze, Clemson, Atlanta, Warspite, Kongo, Baltimore, Mogami, North Carolina. And will likely be a lot more. Plan to have a big port just like tanks where I have a big garage.

7. Right now Cruisers and Destroyers are going to be my main focus. Maybe once I am done there swing into battleships.

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

Let's compare War Thunder to Warship Gunner 2, while we're at it

World of Tanks is a totally different game from this, the gameplay is very different.

This doesn't mean games can't be compared. You can discuss the merits of RPGs vs FPSs, for example. Or RTS vs Simulation. Etc. If everything was the same, there wouldn't be much to talk about.

Members
188 posts

1: The tension seems low, HE rounds seem OP, BB's seem to be too vulnerable, and fires and flooding seem too simplified. The rate of fire of many BB's is atrocious, and Battleship gunnery ranges should be increased (in my opinion), the secondaries would be great if they could actually hit something, and torpedoes are a bit... You know, their mechanic I believe needs work too. Long range gunnery is too accurate and short ranged gunnery is also too inaccurate (BB's mostly) so steepening the accuracy curve seems like a good idea.

2: The playstyles are different and everything can damage anything

3: No

4: I do try...

5: World of Tanks out shines it and World of Warplanes. well just go play Warthunder...

6: Japanese tier 1 lol. Ima go dodge your shots now

7: Zao and Shimikaze. The enemy will fear my torpedoes or suffer the torpedoing consequences. 

Edited by anonym_2ZNiJLJL8ln2

0 posts

too much typing

Too...much...troll :c 

Makes sense...a few months of playing would definitely make you a veteran...

Members
418 posts
233 battles

OBT pleb here coming from being terrible at WoT.

Love it, but obviously it is very flawed. However, WoT was much more flawed than this at launch and it managed to smooth out most of its rough edges over time. This game has a much lesser uphill battle than that game did.

Its skills are more based around your ability to pay attention to as many things at once as you can and it has a much greater emphasis on the whole rather than the individual. I like it this way.

I was always a fan of naval history. 

Absolutely. Like I said, it is flawed as hell but I am 100% confident that it will get its issues sorted out as time goes on. 

It's long overdue. Warships is a natural fit for this series and Wargaming's style and much better executed than Warplanes. 

I haven't gotten very far yet, but my personal favorite right now is the Dakka Machine St. Louis. 

Playing carriers, I especially want to play the Shinano because there is something artistic about an aircraft carrier that was converted from one of the most bad [edited]battleships of all time.

[CLOVR]
Beta Testers
3,667 posts
1,637 battles

Good shooter, but no depth, silly balance currently. But.. it is early still. Arcade game.

And World of Tanks is perfectly comparable. Both action games where you drive stuff and shoot stuff. Both have arty.

[POW1]
Members
5,078 posts

Well I play WOT and still have WOP on my comp. Do I count of just new players lol.