Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Foxbrook

DD Balance

5 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
102 posts
3,830 battles

Now I'm not talking about how USN or IJN have different gun turns or detection or anything of that.   What I want is the torp reload to be more streamlined between the tiers since right now it's kind of a disadvantage to tier up since you fire your torps slower and slower the higher you go. 

A tier 4 and 5 IJN DD have a 45ish second reload for their torps which is pretty damn fast but then you go to Tier 6 and it's 73+ seconds which is a HUGE downgrade.  Then it's 82 / 82 for tier 7 and 8 then it jumps up again to 110 for T9 and 150 for T10.

T2 = 22. T3 = 39, T4 = 42. T5 = 47. T6 = 73. T7= 82. T8= 82. T9 = 110. T10 = 150

Notice the huge difference here? I'm not saying that the higher tiers need to be balanced, I'm fine with their reload, but I tihnk that the lower tiers need their reload increased.  Playing as a T6/T7 DD against a T4/T5 feels like such a huge disadvantage since they can fire their torps twice as fast as you and are detected at a much shorter range than you.

In fact going up the IJN DD line past tier 4 feels like a huge downgrade every single tier until you hit Tier 10 only because the torp range is 15-20k but even then you're only firing once every three minutes.

It just feels that each time you increase in tier of DD the worse it gets because your health pretty much stays the same while everyone else has is always upgrading both their health and their damage.

Since this is beta I figure I could at least offer up my 2 cents and all I'm asking is that the reload for torps is more steamlined for all tiers that way when a T5 goes up against a T7 they can't fire their torps 40 seconds faster.  Make it so the curve is more natural instead of huge jumps between tiers.

Beta Testers
435 posts

Range. Damage. Offset by speed of the torpedo. And the fact that you get more torpedoes per launcher as you get higher tiered.  That is why the lower tiers can spam their torpedoes, you get extra torpedoes with eventually longer ranges.  And at tier 5 is where it is best with the Minikaze.  The Mutsuki/Hatsuharu are just trash in regards to the rest with a lame excuse to "translate" to a new playstyle of get close and die since that's all you an do, they have similar number of launchers to the last couple of ships but extra torpedos (but same mechanics to fire and be dodge so not as effective) but give it up for lousy AA which should be off (exploit this as you can, seeing destroyers from beyond their stealth cause they don't know about P key yet).  They are just not fun to play, unless WG does something about the torpedoes for those two ships, highest I got to was the Fubuki in CBT but I was so burned out by them  it felt like a heavy cruiser with battleship maneuverability I didn't really bother to try getting the rest of the modules.  The Mut and the Hat are really like a side tier of their own, they don't need to tweak the recharge if something else could be done to the ship (guns on the two ships are just an after thought).

American ships on the other hand, are mainly about the guns and torpedoes are secondary.  And you can shoot beyond your stealth, maneuver to dodge the projectiles and disappear like a phantom at range.  Sure, your damage might be pathetic...but far more fun to harass with fast reloading guns than a IJN DD which just has to use the bomber jacket method to be successful  or miss with dead fire torpedoes that can be dodge unless the target is a scoped out idiot.

Beta Testers
295 posts
565 battles

The torpedo reload time is one of the hugely amusing parts of being a IJN DD, the only type of warship in WoWS that becomes less effective as you tier up.

The pinnacle of the Japanese destroyer line is not at Tier 4, though.  That belongs to the Tier 5 Minekaze, which is probably ton for ton the most OP/powerful ship in all of WoWS.

I understand the low torpedo reload timers at low tiers is meant to help new players get used to using torpedoes, but I think it also contributes to a lot of the salt of low tier battleship players; being able to machine-gun torpedoes out at these low tiers does make IJN DDs OP I think.  Then suddenly, at Tier 6 and beyond ... IJN DDs become a nuisance, like mosquitoes, particularly with the abysmal Mutsuki, which is a USN DD in its stock configuration ... except without the fast turning and fast firing guns.  It's honestly tied with the unupgraded Chester as the worst ship in the game.  When you consider its Tier, it's probably worse than a Chester.  Things slowly get better after that, then you have a terrible dog of a ship Tier 9 (yes, Tier 9 has one of the worst IJN DDs, a hugelong grind in an extremely mediocre ship) in the form of the Kagero.

ofc, WG is so tired of listening to people complain about OP torpedoes they won't even fix the Kagero's non-torpedo issues like guns and rudder times which makes it some weird mutant Tier 7 stuck in Tier 9.

Beta Testers
102 posts
3,830 battles

Range doesn't matter and don't really change until tier 9/10.  Speed is actually WAYYYY faster as T4/T5 and actually gets slower as you tier up and never gets as fast as the lower tiers. Even Tier 10 is slower than T4/5. In fact once you pass T4/5 you'll never have that speed again ever.  You get really close to it at T9/10 but that's it.   T6/7/8 are way slower.   A T10 DD gets detected at 7.6k range while a T4 gets detected at 4 at 6k. 

Now I'm not complaining just saying they numbers should be more even and spread up over the tree better instead of having the lower tier faster, more maneuverable, with the fastest torps AND fastest reload with the higher tiers only having better range.  Damage doesn't matter since at any of those tiers the damage is enough to kill or cripple someone, though less of that chance at higher tiers since BB's have like 100k health and cruisers have 50k

Beta Testers
102 posts
3,830 battles

The torpedo reload time is one of the hugely amusing parts of being a IJN DD, the only type of warship in WoWS that becomes less effective as you tier up.

The pinnacle of the Japanese destroyer line is not at Tier 4, though.  That belongs to the Tier 5 Minekaze, which is probably ton for ton the most OP/powerful ship in all of WoWS.

I understand the low torpedo reload timers at low tiers is meant to help new players get used to using torpedoes, but I think it also contributes to a lot of the salt of low tier battleship players; being able to machine-gun torpedoes out at these low tiers does make IJN DDs OP I think.  Then suddenly, at Tier 6 and beyond ... IJN DDs become a nuisance, like mosquitoes, particularly with the abysmal Mutsuki, which is a USN DD in its stock configuration ... except without the fast turning and fast firing guns.  It's honestly tied with the unupgraded Chester as the worst ship in the game.  When you consider its Tier, it's probably worse than a Chester.  Things slowly get better after that, then you have a terrible dog of a ship Tier 9 (yes, Tier 9 has one of the worst IJN DDs, a hugelong grind in an extremely mediocre ship) in the form of the Kagero.

ofc, WG is so tired of listening to people complain about OP torpedoes they won't even fix the Kagero's non-torpedo issues like guns and rudder times which makes it some weird mutant Tier 7 stuck in Tier 9.

Yes that's what makes the IJN DD line to be quite sad since after T4/5 you have T6/7/8/9 as all crappy ships with only the T10 being good ONLY because it has 20k range. It's still hampered by the fact it can only fire once every 3 minutes though.  Which means that in a 20 minute match it can only attack 5 times at most since the game doesn't start you off as reloaded and no one fires right away at the start since you're out of range.

If the match doesn't last 20 mins, which is more than likely, you only attack at least 2-3 times a match.  Imagine being a crusier or a BB and only getting to attack 3 times and that's it for the entire match.

I'm just saying that the reload times should be more streamlined throughout the tiers instead of a massive short reload for the lower tiers making them seem OP and then the entire opposite with the torps having a massive reload making them weak

Beta Testers
295 posts
565 battles

with only the T10 being good ONLY because it has 20k range.

Shimakaze is sort of odd in that she has these uncharacteristically rapid-firing guns for an IJN destroyer, probably so she can at spit out half of the shells of a Gearing.  While her guns have lower damage and shorter than the Gearing's the honest truth is that with all the Tier 10 maps like Hotspot and Islands of Ice, IJN DDs are going to use their guns because they will eventually be forced to fight in confined waters for caps and so on.

And despite all their other parameters being 'teh suk' IJN DD guns have a flatter trajectory than USN guns so they're easier to hit with - the Shimakaze during CBT was a pretty respectable DD duelling machine because of this; when my torps were on reload, I'd often get into gunfights with USN DDs and kill them.

Similarly, the Fubuki gets triple torpedo racks, which makes her pretty flexible in engaging the enemy; she definitely gets more hits than the Mutsuki, Hatsuharu, or the Kagero because of her triple racks.  Plus she gets the gun speed upgrade that Shimakaze gets, making her a passable fighting DD as well.

Kagero ... nope.  None of this.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this