You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GiN_nTonic

Omaha Hull C

21 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
825 posts
7,027 battles

I am curious why someone would want the Omaha Hull C when it has less torps and a lower gun stat.  I see you get more AA guns, but is that really worth giving up then on the other items?  Im making my way through that line and came across this head-scratcher. 

thanks in advance.

Edited by JlNN

[TXGUN]
[TXGUN]
Members
4,596 posts
13,518 battles

Its for those of us who like to use cruisers for their intended role of AA support for other ships. I use the fully upgraded hull but I dont spam HE at everyone either. I also use it to take out other cruisers and DDs and have had great success with it despite loosing the guns and torpedoes. I use AP and citadel the hell out of other cruisers.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
11,668 posts

I researched the hull, bought it, then put  the B hull back.  I do consider aircraft to be a big threat to the cruiser, but I consider other cruisers and destroyers an even bigger threat.  So far I got my best ever game on the B hull, with 6 kills.  

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Given the current state of AA in the game, which is what Hull C is all about, I'd say there's hardly any (good) reason to buy it.

Hull C looks like it may have been designed as a homage to historical modifications to most USN ships in the course of the war. These tended to sacrifice torpedoes and even main guns for AA. However, what makes sense in the historical context isn't necessarily worth a damn in WoWs (which is OK).

Members
41 posts
427 battles

This was with a hull C. I started brawling with it and finally died but almost had my 8th kill that round on the SC that got me. One more salvo would of finished him.

Omaha.jpg

• Cool 1

[HBK]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,361 posts
16,207 battles

haha, nice work.

I'd say the best way to play the Omaha with the C Hull is to just play the Murmansk instead ;D

• Cool 4

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,591 posts
5,060 battles

Its for those of us who like to use cruisers for their intended role of AA support for other ships. I use the fully upgraded hull but I dont spam HE at everyone either. I also use it to take out other cruisers and DDs and have had great success with it despite loosing the guns and torpedoes. I use AP and citadel the hell out of other cruisers.

This ^^^

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
825 posts
7,027 battles

The US used Cruisers this way during WW2 and the Cold War, but the Omaha class wasn't built with that specific purpose in mind - granted the C variant represents the modification to that use.  The Omaha was an offensive weapon against DD and a screen ship against BB fleets.  It was designed to look similar to the Clemson DD so as to make an enemy underestimate the armament the Omaha class Cruiser had.

Does anyone know if the masts on the B variant means going around Islands when those stick up higher ends up giving the position of the Omaha (or any other ship I guess) to the enemy?  I was curious about that, as that alone may be a better reason to have the C variant mounted.

[PPNA1]
[PPNA1]
Beta Testers
2,229 posts
29,229 battles

For me I didn't play a single game in C Hull, researched it but never bought/mounted it. If you want to play C Hull Omaha, just play Murmansk instead as it is basically the same ship with better stats.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Heard the Omaha was getting a buff. More than likely the C hull is going to be comparable to the Murmansk.

Beta Testers
11,668 posts

Heard the Omaha was getting a buff. More than likely the C hull is going to be comparable to the Murmansk.

True.  It needs fixing.  

Artillery values

Omaha B = 47

Murmansk = 45

Omaha C = 40

0 posts

True.  It needs fixing.  

Artillery values

Omaha B = 47

Murmansk = 45

Omaha C = 40

That sounds reasonable honestly, it would make everything a bit better overall. 

Beta Testers
2,580 posts
4,750 battles

Its for those of us who like to use cruisers for their intended role of AA support for other ships.

Thing is I'm not sure the C hull actually has better AA.

The C has the 40mm Bofors that shoot at 3.5km but with pretty poor dps & all the rest of its AA is pared back to 2.0/2.1km.

The B hull has a whole lot of 2.5km range AA dps.

So the C will shoot at planes at longer range but the B will kill planes much quicker once its actually shooting.

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,322 posts

The US used Cruisers this way during WW2 and the Cold War, but the Omaha class wasn't built with that specific purpose in mind - granted the C variant represents the modification to that use.  The Omaha was an offensive weapon against DD and a screen ship against BB fleets.  It was designed to look similar to the Clemson DD so as to make an enemy underestimate the armament the Omaha class Cruiser had.

Does anyone know if the masts on the B variant means going around Islands when those stick up higher ends up giving the position of the Omaha (or any other ship I guess) to the enemy?  I was curious about that, as that alone may be a better reason to have the C variant mounted.

the Omaha Class was intended to be a scout cruiser. Their position was to be out in front and on the flanks of the fleet, looking for the enemy...not as AAA defensive ship. They needed a fairly large armament, so as to be able to overwhelm any enemy DD's and CL's they encountered...while maintaining the ability/speed to run away if necessary.

Beta Testers
202 posts
633 battles

However, what makes sense in the historical context isn't necessarily worth a damn in WoWs (which is OK).

No, it's not "OK.:

Edited by boxtosser

Beta Testers
196 posts
568 battles

So the C will shoot at planes at longer range but the B will kill planes much quicker once its actually shooting.

If the CV ignores the AA bubble, that means that the planes traversing it will take more total damage and have a larger area that is "off limits."

However, the Omaha B prints wins with its extra guns and torpedoes.

Edited by ravenouscorvidae

[TXGUN]
[TXGUN]
Members
4,596 posts
13,518 battles

They need to go back to the year designation of the hulls because I laugh every time I hear A Hull.

Edited by donaldEpott
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,730 posts
1,193 battles

the Omaha Class was intended to be a scout cruiser. Their position was to be out in front and on the flanks of the fleet, looking for the enemy...not as AAA defensive ship. They needed a fairly large armament, so as to be able to overwhelm any enemy DD's and CL's they encountered...while maintaining the ability/speed to run away if necessary.

The Phoenix design represents the original nearly final design for what the Omaha would become. However the new British light cruisers had superior beam on firepower which is important for pursuit and disengagement something the scout cruisers were expected to do. So to resolve this issue the fore and aft twin turrets were added to the design to give six gun beam and aft firepower. 

However, the aft lower case mates and the below deck torpedo launchers were constantly wet and flooded and often unable to be serviced. So in their final refit they were removed. You can see why the aft lower casemates would often flood if you look down the ship from the front or aft and see how much they stick out and how low they are. They were constantly dipping into waves as the ship made headway.