You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Aus_Firewing

Stop complaining about maps

12 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
153 posts
40 battles

Context: Various players whinging about Ocean, in particular DD and CL players.

I am getting real sick and tired of people complaining about Ocean.

It's not a bad map, it's a challenging map. It may possibly be the best map in this game.

Why? In order to have a good game on this map you have to intimately know every ships gunnery ranges, accuracy, detection range, speed, turning circle. You need to know when to engage, who to engage, and when to back off. This map will require every skill you will ever learn over the course of playing this game and then some.

I've had some excellent games in a DD on this map. I think about possible targets, who may be sitting undetected next to them, how to make best possible use out of my three smokes.

DDs may in fact be the most important ship class on this map, simply because they have the ability to hide their teammates. The best games I've had in a DD on this map were when I used my smoke to conceal a battlegroup, which then smashed into the enemy team's flank and obliterated three or four ships in short order.

Ocean is not a bad map. It is merely the single most challenging map in WoWS and requires teamwork, skill and patience.

[/rant]

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,113 posts
500 battles

but this is WG we are talking about. 

there cant be any team work, skill or diversity in the game. it must be all point and click with the same ship but with different skins. . . :hiding:

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,279 posts
333 battles

100% agree with the OP here. Every ship has a chance at being very effective on this map if the captain knows what he/she is doing. There are no handicaps here...no islands to hide behind...just pure, unfiltered skill vs skill here. I love it, and have played every class here with both success and failure, but each match was fun and extremely rewarding as a player.

Don't like Ocean? Okay, well i don't like Two Brothers but i don't start ranting about it...i just give a big sigh and soldier through it.

...on a slightly different topic, why are you playing a naval warfare game if you cant stand the one map without land?

Edited by Flagship_Nagato

Beta Testers
1,102 posts
403 battles

100% agree with the OP here. Every ship has a chance at being very effective on this map if the captain knows what he/she is doing. There are no handicaps here...no islands to hide behind...just pure, unfiltered skill vs skill here. I love it, and have played every class here with both success and failure, but each match was fun and extremely rewarding as a player.

Don't like Ocean? Okay, well i don't like Two Brothers but i don't start ranting about it...i just give a big sigh and soldier through it.

...on a slightly different topic, why are you playing a naval warfare game if you cant stand the one map without land?

You are dead dead wrong.

Any USN DD pre 8 is worthless on Ocean, try it and see how well your 8km stealth combined with 4km torps work without islands to ambush from. What you are left with is some 5 inch guns.

Edited by Awesomecopter

Members
972 posts
822 battles

You are dead dead wrong.

Any USN DD pre 8 is worthless on Ocean, try it and see how well your 8km stealth combined with 4km torps work without islands to ambush from. What you are left with is some 5 inch guns.

pretty much this.

Disclaimer: not even remotely good!

I dislike ocean at low tiers, Tier 3 BBs usually outranged by everything. Tier 3 american DD also out ranged by everything lol and is usually useless until a flank opens

Beta Testers
1,279 posts
333 battles

You are dead dead wrong.

Maybe you should be able to adapt and change your strategy to fit the situation, and not ask that the situation change to fit your strategy?

Any DD with an ounce of sense should know that on Ocean you should be in close proximity to your Cruisers and BBs, as they will be the bigger targets and you will be able to use your superior maneuverability to get closer to the enemy for a surprise torping run, only to run away fast behind your allies.

In Ocean, when you are a DD, your allies are your islands...use them to your advantage...just try not to run smack into a Cruiser torp run...or smack into the Cruiser for that matter

Members
4,274 posts
4,649 battles

pretty much this.

Disclaimer: not even remotely good!

I dislike ocean at low tiers, Tier 3 BBs usually outranged by everything. Tier 3 american DD also out ranged by everything lol and is usually useless until a flank opens

Didn't think ocean occurred if you were that low a tier

Alpha Tester
1,730 posts
1,193 battles

It's a running gag for me and my friends that the very first comment on any map in any title will be someone stating they hate said map. 

Beta Testers
1,102 posts
403 battles

Maybe you should be able to adapt and change your strategy to fit the situation, and not ask that the situation change to fit your strategy?

Any DD with an ounce of sense should know that on Ocean you should be in close proximity to your Cruisers and BBs, as they will be the bigger targets and you will be able to use your superior maneuverability to get closer to the enemy for a surprise torping run, only to run away fast behind your allies.

In Ocean, when you are a DD, your allies are your islands...use them to your advantage...just try not to run smack into a Cruiser torp run...or smack into the Cruiser for that matter

you "suprise torp run" consists of charging 4KM at the enemy battle line then turning side ways to drop torps, then somehow hope you make the 4km run back to stealth, likely longer because now you have a cruiser giving chase.

Who am I kidding, you die before you ever get in torp range.

You would know that if you played, or even looked at the stats sheet for USN DD's.

Beta Testers
1,279 posts
333 battles

you "suprise torp run" consists of charging 4KM at the enemy battle line then turning side ways to drop torps, then somehow hope you make the 4km run back to stealth, likely longer because now you have a cruiser giving chase.

Who am I kidding, you die before you ever get in torp range.

You would know that if you played, or even looked at the stats sheet for USN DD's.

Don't need to, i see it happen all the time...when i play matches with USN DDs that know what they are doing.

Sorry if you can not achieve the same in that respect...maybe your playing the wrong class for your skill set?