Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CLeclerc16

R these true about us vs Japanese carrier?

25 comments in this topic

Members
102 posts
2,738 battles

So I am trying t decide which line to go for. I am reading the following things about thrm: us has good AA, more planes, Japanese has speed, a little more concealment, and morr offensive plane setup in general right? Can someone give me some advice here?,

[content moderated - inappropriate language]
~PrimordialSlime 

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles

IJN: Faster planes, weaker planes, more groups, fewer planes per group, wider spread

US: Slower planes, stronger planes, less groups, more planes per group, tighter spread.

I prefer US due to the tight spread, but torp-groups are limited.

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
925 posts
3,435 battles

US has crapfor offensive capability and Japanese carriers tend to have more offense then 2 or 3 US carriers combined in most cases

Edited by vasuba

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles

By "tight spread" are you referring to the torpedos when they're dropped?

Yes. IJN ones can hit 2 per spread for smaller ships, and 3 on larger ones.

With US CVs, when you get them at the right angle / approach, large BBs can often eat the full loadout, which is pretty devastating to their HP pool.

Members
2,829 posts
6,653 battles

Yes. IJN ones can hit 2 per spread for smaller ships, and 3 on larger ones.

With US CVs, when you get them at the right angle / approach, large BBs can often eat the full loadout, which is pretty devastating to their HP pool.

In regards to the IJN:

You need the drop right angle and the enemy ship needs to be travelling at the right speed.  Otherwise you're limited to 2 per squadron on larger ships with the average torpedo hit rate per squadron hit being like 1.3ish..

Edited by Misniso

WG Staff
81 posts
642 battles

From my experience (only up to about Tier VI of carriers though) they play a bit like cat and mouse.

US squadrons have more planes and a single squadron can afford to lose a plane or two and still be effective. US fighters only really fear other US fighters above their tier and Japanese fighters two tiers or higher - they can also run very fighter heavy loadouts and basically bully other CV's around and minimise their impact. Their bombers hit really hard but there aren't that many of them so you need to pick your targets and manage your reload times. US CV's are all about being in the right place at the right time to make a big difference and making accurate strikes count. They're also good for players who aren't the best micro-managers of lots of units but they can have more downtime while they're reloading than Japanese carriers.

Japanese planes always have to worry about what's in the air and what AAA is on the ground. Even a US fighter squadron a tier below you can cause serious problems and wandering over enemy cruisers can be fatal - losing one or two planes can render a squadron almost useless. They make up for this by having more squadrons to put in the air. You can afford to spread your squadrons out and look for the undefended targets - or you can put all your eggs in one basket and darken the skies in one particular spot - hoping you don't choose wrong. Managing all your different units can be a headache but it's rare that all your squadrons will be on cooldown.

The differences between the ships themselves aren't quite as important though I'd say US carriers probably have the edge in speed and AAA. If things go well though these things shouldn't matter.

Edited by jasta007
  • Cool 2

Members
200 posts
947 battles

I feel like having more squadrons is a huge advantage. It means the Japanese carrier can cover a lot more area. Having more torpedo bombers really benefits them as well because if you attack a group of ships there's a chance you can miss one but hit another. US CVs need more going for them than just bigger squadrons. They either need a lot more planes, or something else special.

Beta Testers
1,102 posts
403 battles

IJN carriers are way better

Don't even bother with USN, they only get good at tier 9, which is a long way off.

Learn to carrier on IJN, then move over to USN once you think you can handle the awfulness.

Beta Testers
1,520 posts
187 battles

IJN: Faster planes, weaker planes, more groups, fewer planes per group, wider spread

US: Slower planes, stronger planes, less groups, more planes per group, tighter spread.

I prefer US due to the tight spread, but torp-groups are limited.

IJN planes actually aren't weaker. They simply have less in a group.

Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

IJN planes actually aren't weaker. They simply have less in a group.

Actually, they are usually weaker in direct comparison.

USN TBs drop torps with higher damage (from tier 6, roughly equal at tier 5), and most USN Fighters outdps their Japanese counterparts (Zero vs Wildcat aside).

IJN DBs have 4600 damage at all tiers, USN DBs go up to 7500.

HP is roughly equal at all tiers.

Speed usually goes to the IJN planes however, make of that what you will.

Beta Testers
3,072 posts
1,908 battles

From my experience (only up to about Tier VI of carriers though) they play a bit like cat and mouse.

US squadrons have more planes and a single squadron can afford to lose a plane or two and still be effective. US fighters only really fear other US fighters above their tier and Japanese fighters two tiers or higher - they can also run very fighter heavy loadouts and basically bully other CV's around and minimise their impact. Their bombers hit really hard but there aren't that many of them so you need to pick your targets and manage your reload times. US CV's are all about being in the right place at the right time to make a big difference and making accurate strikes count. They're also good for players who aren't the best micro-managers of lots of units but they can have more downtime while they're reloading than Japanese carriers.

Japanese planes always have to worry about what's in the air and what AAA is on the ground. Even a US fighter squadron a tier below you can cause serious problems and wandering over enemy cruisers can be fatal - losing one or two planes can render a squadron almost useless. They make up for this by having more squadrons to put in the air. You can afford to spread your squadrons out and look for the undefended targets - or you can put all your eggs in one basket and darken the skies in one particular spot - hoping you don't choose wrong. Managing all your different units can be a headache but it's rare that all your squadrons will be on cooldown.

The differences between the ships themselves aren't quite as important though I'd say US carriers probably have the edge in speed and AAA. If things go well though these things shouldn't matter.

This is all very true. I will add that IJN CV are faster, harder to detect, have okay AA, and are kinda flimsy. US CV are slow, sturdy, easier to find, and have good AA.

I feel like having more squadrons is a huge advantage. It means the Japanese carrier can cover a lot more area. Having more torpedo bombers really benefits them as well because if you attack a group of ships there's a chance you can miss one but hit another. US CVs need more going for them than just bigger squadrons. They either need a lot more planes, or something else special.

Having more squadrons also let's you use different strategies. IJN CV can do a whole load of stuff while US CV are regulated to attack like this, rearm, and repeat.
  • Cool 1

WG Staff
81 posts
642 battles

Having more squadrons also let's you use different strategies. IJN CV can do a whole load of stuff while US CV are regulated to attack like this, rearm, and repeat.

IJN carriers have more potential options true but they are also much more prone to having their options shut down and their strategies dictated by opposing carriers or strong anti-air defenses. I always felt I could be a lot more aggressive with moving my squadrons as a US carrier. IJN squadrons have to be more cautious or take more risks.

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
925 posts
3,435 battles

IJN carriers have more potential options true but they are also much more prone to having their options shut down and their strategies dictated by opposing carriers or strong anti-air defenses. I always felt I could be a lot more aggressive with moving my squadrons as a US carrier. IJN squadrons have to be more cautious or take more risks.

Until you get to the Hakyryu that just totally outclasses the Midway. 20 fighters versus 21. Hakuryu then gets 2 Torpedo Bomber Squadrons and 2 Divebomber Squadrons. Midway gets 2 DiveBombers that are mediocre at best. Haku can keep 4 out of 5 squadrons tied up in combat and still have 4 attack squadrons to attack freely with. That's their "balanced" loadout. They could opt for less fighters and then get even more insane attack options

Members
888 posts
761 battles

OP don't say 'jap'

It pisses people off.

Yeah, people who look for any reason to get "offended."

• Cool 2

[CLOVR]
Beta Testers
3,667 posts
1,637 battles

IJN carriers are only countered by other carriers. US carriers can be countered by lots of things.

[QAPLA]
Beta Testers
1,186 posts
4,641 battles

of course it takes just as many letter to type...

"IJN"....

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
703 posts
345 battles

OP don't say 'jap'

It pisses people off.

Back on topic: From what I've heard, the US has better fighters and larger squadrons.

[content moderated - non constructive/inappropriate]
- Yshoneist

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,520 posts
187 battles

Back on topic. From what I've heard, the US has better fighters.

Only better because of squad size.

Beta Testers
201 posts
1,171 battles

OP don't say 'jap'

It pisses people off.

You probably won't make any friends here by glorifying the Japs in WWII either.  That talk rather pisses off another type of people.

One of My grandfathers was a Marine and the other was in the Navy.  Neither hold a particularly rosy view of the Pacific War.

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles

This, so much! I made a comment on the matter in a thread about the topic not too long ago, talking about 'victim mentality', and was censored/punished for that alone.

Fought it in support, they pointed out that I said nothing offensive, everything was factual, but they would not uncensor me, only take away the warning points.

Members
888 posts
761 battles

This, so much! I made a comment on the matter in a thread about the topic not too long ago, talking about 'victim mentality', and was censored/punished for that alone.

Fought it in support, they pointed out that I said nothing offensive, everything was factual, but they would not uncensor me, only take away the warning points.

Working as intended, Komrad.

[CLOVR]
Beta Testers
3,667 posts
1,637 battles

Saying that America is the "Land of Opportunity" is now against the rules at some colleges, because it is "micro aggression". I kid you not.

PC is so darn stupid.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this