Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Jerjare

Sub captains would be the biggest whiners

19 comments in this topic

Members
200 posts
947 battles

A lot of people here would be resistant to the concept of subs. Understandable. However, if they were balanced with other ships, seriously consider it:

All but the highest tier submaries would be extremely slow. They'd have to stay on the surface to have any decent mobility, making them easy prey for many surface vessels and aircraft.

If subs were introduced, then DDs would certainly get antisub measures (hydrophones, depth charges) along with probably antisub planes/loadouts (an excellent use for a ship like the Bogue).

Submarines would be slow, vulnerable, and relegated to camping control points and choke points. Destroyers would easily be able to chase them down.

0 posts

I can see that...submarines themselves being slow, without the other weaknesses, would be enough to cause rage and complaints, everything else? ...well...its going to be noisy. 

Members
200 posts
947 battles

Subs would be the arty of WoWS.

No, because Destroyers would nullify the hell out of them.

That's my whole point. They're too slow to reliably get into position to use their torpedoes. Destroyers would chase them all down.

I think in that sense they should have had Submarines, since they would be so easily countered.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Subs would be the arty of WoWS. 

Never would be close. They'd be chased emergency deep till forced up, where they'd be rekt by anything in view range.

[ROMEO]
Beta Testers
466 posts
4,407 battles

No, because Destroyers would nullify the hell out of them.

That's my whole point. They're too slow to reliably get into position to use their torpedoes. Destroyers would chase them all down.

I think in that sense they should have had Submarines, since they would be so easily countered.

As a DD captain I wouldn't want to spend my game hunting subs. I don't think a lot of other DD captains would. And with four or five DDs maximum on a team, how are they supposed to cover the whole map? What you are suggestion would rely on the one thing you will really never get: teamwork.

Beta Testers
368 posts
234 battles

OK... how many battles can people name were subs were major a factor?  Since this game is about fleet action, how would they fit in?

Ask yourself, if they were implemented with their realistic flank speed, what would they do besides camp base?

Beta Testers
1,031 posts
684 battles

Never would be close. They'd be chased emergency deep till forced up, where they'd be rekt by anything in view range.

Which means they would be broken, if they are so easily countered. Balancing them would be hard much like arty in its current form. 

Beta Testers
295 posts
565 battles

Submarines already basically exist in WoWS.

They're called Japanese Destroyers.

* Bad guns.

* Good torpedoes.

* Hard to spot.

* Die easily to cruisers and destroyers if detected.

* Vulnerable to being spotted and attacked by aircraft, especially on the way to an attack.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,102 posts
403 battles

Subs are already in the game, they are just called IJN destroyers. Except for rather than 9 knots and cumbersome while submerged and can only aim by turning the ship, you go 35 knots, turn on a dime, and can aim torps over a wide arc.

Edit : 2 posts saying the same thing.

Edited by Awesomecopter
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,031 posts
684 battles

As a DD captain I wouldn't want to spend my game hunting subs. I don't think a lot of other DD captains would. And with four or five DDs maximum on a team, how are they supposed to cover the whole map? What you are suggestion would rely on the one thing you will really never get: teamwork.

This.

I play mostly DDs, and last thing I want to do is hunt subs. 

Beta Testers
1,102 posts
403 battles

This.

I play mostly DDs, and last thing I want to do is hunt subs. 

then you must hate USN DD because all they can really do until tier 8 is hunt subs (IJN destroyers).

30,523 posts
6,106 battles

then you must hate USN DD because all they can really do until tier 8 is hunt subs (IJN destroyers).

That's crap. Best ambush ships in the game are the Clemson and Nicholas. Find a nice island to orbit, wait for some idiot to blunder into range then crush him with 12 torps.

Beta Testers
1,102 posts
403 battles

That's crap. Best ambush ships in the game are the Clemson and Nicholas. Find a nice island to orbit, wait for some idiot to blunder into range then crush him with 12 torps.

Relying on your enemies being imbeciles is not a reliable strategy when sometimes you face off against non imbeciles.

Beta Testers
1,031 posts
684 battles

Going up both DD lines, and currently like USN DDs. Good guns to support your team with. And torps to punish inexperienced enemies. Hunting IJN is just part of their duties. 

30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Relying on your enemies being imbeciles is not a reliable strategy when sometimes you face off against non imbeciles.

Hell even if I don't have to rely on them being imbeciles, just find a nice channel and orbit. Along with taking pot shots, you can effectively close off a section of the map by being there.

[TILLT]
[TILLT]
Beta Testers
1,108 posts
6,666 battles

You all have lost your minds if you think WG would make them slow and cumbersome.  When subs come to this game, stand by.

Beta Testers
1,031 posts
684 battles

You all have lost your minds if you think WG would make them slow and cumbersome.  When subs come to this game, stand by.

That is what has me worried about subs. WG had to really warp how arty actually worked to fit it in WoT, which lead to a broken mechanic. I see subs going that route. 

Sign in to follow this