Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NeutralState

Target Switching difficulties. How exactly do you switch locks?

12 comments in this topic

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
11,692 battles

Target locking and unlocking mechanism is very convoluted for me.

It is especially problematic when ships are near each other or one in front and the other behind them.

For example is two ships are sailing in parallel one is 1 km from you, the other 1.1km. I found no way of switching from the 1km to the 1.1km target.

Someone stated X key is used to switch targets when torps are selected. It NEVER worked for me. I always have to go into gun view switch tracking then back to torps.

Is there a way to switch lock to current mouse hover target? If there is no key for it, then what do you need to do for the game to auto lock for you to a new target?

WG's always have this problem to not label ALL of the controls and shows ALL important mechanics. Can someone from WG or community please write something comprehensive?

While we are on the topic, what does the "Tracking target" option in game options does? It has no explanation. I ticked it on and off and found almost no difference in game play.

Edited by NeutralState

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

You need to put the very center of your screen over the desired ship you want to switch to.  If it is behind move your crosshairs high.  Hit X.  Practice on a swarm (within range) just moving the camera around and switching targets with X.  Your watching a cute little celtic cross jump your crosshair.  This identifies your target.

Members
6 posts
94 battles

I am curious about what keys do what as well.

I want a way to have gun lock and aim in a direction so I can look in other directions without them following me.

I know Ctrl Clicking an enemy will lock the target for secondary weapons. It may work for Torpedo's. I'm still trying to learn all the tricks.

[-GET-]
Beta Testers
670 posts
8,643 battles

X key 

You don't have to be in torp mode. Any camera mode works

You do have to be in range however, so if you can only shoot 10kms, then you can only target/change target up to 10kms

[COUPB]
Beta Testers
44 posts
5,900 battles

You need to have the aiming reticule on the target you want, then press X. And yes, when ships are bunched up it can be difficult, but do what you are already doing and go into gun mode, aim at the ship you want then press 3.

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

I am curious about what keys do what as well.

I want a way to have gun lock and aim in a direction so I can look in other directions without them following me.

I know Ctrl Clicking an enemy will lock the target for secondary weapons. It may work for Torpedo's. I'm still trying to learn all the tricks.

You guys should find the 'Quaffer' in the guides section.  He explains and lays out your stuff with nice attention to detail.  A swell guy.

Members
6 posts
94 battles

so the x key will lock the guns to the target? and guns won't follow me while I look around?

I notice alot of times while I am aiming the other guys tall and won't focus on the target. I'm assuming guns that are on like battleships are 270% and have to go back the whole other way around?

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
11,692 battles

X key never works for me. Doesn't matter how I point my scope or reticle. Target won't unlock or relock to new ones. I've had game where the sight stayed locked onto a ship 10km away and I can't get it switch to a new target 6km away. It's extremely frustrating.

Edited by NeutralState

[-GET-]
Beta Testers
670 posts
8,643 battles

X key never works for me. Doesn't matter how I point my scope or reticle. Target won't unlock or relock to new ones. I've had game where the sight stayed locked onto a ship 10km away and I can't get it switch to a new target 6km away. It's extremely frustrating.

I would go into your settings under controls, look to see what key it is bound too. You can also change it to whatever you want.

Members
139 posts
1,975 battles

so the x key will lock the guns to the target? and guns won't follow me while I look around?

I notice alot of times while I am aiming the other guys tall and won't focus on the target. I'm assuming guns that are on like battleships are 270% and have to go back the whole other way around?

cntrl-x locks guns on a relative heading, meaning when you move your ship they will not change position. its like sticking a stick outside your car window and not touching it.

shift-x locks guns on a universal heading, meaning when you move your ship they will try to keep pointing at the object they originally were. (they are not tracking the object though, just keeping the same angle) its like a compass.

x locks onto a target, meaning the guns compensate for the targets motion so the fire solution is stabilized. It's kinda like a bipod.

right click mouse allows you to look around without moving your guns.

Edited by Pyromaniac_Rasputin

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
11,692 battles

I would go into your settings under controls, look to see what key it is bound too. You can also change it to whatever you want.

What's the key's name? 

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

Delete your preferences file then start game up and do your options again.  Maybe reinstall keyboard drivers if that doesn't fix it.

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

Start with Gunnery Basics to learn about target lock [X].  Even with a lock moving your mouse will change your guns and view. That's the way you adjust the lead.

Then look at Weapon Bearing (Shift-X) (Ctrl-X) (X)  to learn about locking your guns on a fixed location or relative bearing. Your guns will stay put as you look around.

View Basics comments on overview mode [RMB] and Quick Zoom Artist, very useful.

I also recommend you look through Guide, List of Mouse and Keyboard Commands as a sort of cheat sheet.  It's not linked into my guide system like the others are.  I hope this clears things up a little.  One you've gone to Gunnery Basics or Weapon Bearing feel free to browse through the included linked guides.  While most of it you may know already I'm sure you can find something you haven't seen before.

Thanks for the recommendation Moksie.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this