You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
VioletZer0

I need tips for playing destroyers. I keep getting rekt in them

16 comments in this topic

Members
418 posts
233 battles

In any match, destroyers are always my most feared enemy. One way or another they **** you. 

And yet, when I play a destroyer I keep getting rekt no matter what I do. Aiming torps even at relatively long distances doesn't seem to be an issue. Mostly just staying alive. 

I'm sorry if there's a guide somewhere, I am posting this in a hurry. 

Alpha Tester
185 posts
165 battles

In any match, destroyers are always my most feared enemy. One way or another they **** you. 

And yet, when I play a destroyer I keep getting rekt no matter what I do. Aiming torps even at relatively long distances doesn't seem to be an issue. Mostly just staying alive. 

I'm sorry if there's a guide somewhere, I am posting this in a hurry. 

What kind of play style do you use when in a Destroyer? 

Members
418 posts
233 battles

I like to torpedo ships and run. Right now I am playing the tier III IJN destroyer. 

Should I focus on smokescreens for my teammates or something?

Beta Testers
140 posts
1,261 battles

We are the Wolves We need No "Style" We make the game bend to our Will

Torpedoe the choke zone early game, Retreat, Wait for the  Team to Break out to the left and right side then Shoot the gap and attack the BB from behind

Edited by panzerdan412

[BLKHS]
Beta Testers
1,612 posts
8,174 battles

I feel your pain.  I ranted in the CB about the OB DD's.   But I learned in WOT a maxim "if ya can't beat it, buy it."  So I have gone into DD's heavy since OB.  Here is what I have learned so far:

1.  Go to the part of the map that has the most islands.

2.  Hang out in those islands and wait to bushwhack an enemy ship who comes through a passage or around a corner.

3.  Avoid the temptation to attempt to infiltrate to raid the enemy CV until at least half the enemy team is destroyed.

4.  When a DD sails in open water it dies.

5.  DDs are super effective when operating with two CC's or a CC and a BB providing covering fire.

[COUPB]
Beta Testers
44 posts
5,900 battles

Also, make sure you know what your detection range is and constantly monitor how far the enemy ships are. Oh, and hit the P button at the star of the match, this turns off your AA guns.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,719 posts

I feel your pain.  I ranted in the CB about the OB DD's.   But I learned in WOT a maxim "if ya can't beat it, buy it."  So I have gone into DD's heavy since OB.  Here is what I have learned so far:

1.  Go to the part of the map that has the most islands.

2.  Hang out in those islands and wait to bushwhack an enemy ship who comes through a passage or around a corner.

3.  Avoid the temptation to attempt to infiltrate to raid the enemy CV until at least half the enemy team is destroyed.

4.  When a DD sails in open water it dies.

5.  DDs are super effective when operating with two CC's or a CC and a BB providing covering fire.

I have had good success lately soloing BB's... a BB without a cruiser nearby is a flashing sink me sign to me.

Last 3 matches in My Nicholas I have gotten the following sunk: 3BB/1CL/1DD, 4BB/1CV/1DD/1CL and 2BB/2DD/1CL..

[NWFLT]
Members
1 post
699 battles

I've only played the IJN DD line so far (up to tier 4) so my post may be a bit one sided but I've found just keep hauling a** and forget what a straight line is, I've managed to pull of some amazing "Neo from the matrix in bullet time" dodges from about 7-10km out. Immediately invest in situation awareness for your officer as it'll tell you when you've been detected, because you'll want to get the hell out of Dodge when detected.

I normally sail around and between the islands and try to keep my ranges for my target between 6.9km and 6.1km, depending on their orientation in relation to my ship's launchers. BBs are really easy targets if you line up your shots right. However, it does feel like a lot of torpedo shots can end up being dodged, but I've lately been having more success lining up a broadside and holding off my shot for a few seconds, if the suggested launch area begins to move independent of your ship it means your target is either changing speed or direction, and you'll need to take that into account and, well, guesstimate a little bit. 

NEVER broadside up when detected, as a single clean salvo from a cruiser or BB can usually annihilate you, I like to turn perpendicular to whoever is firing at me and take asymmetric turns (start mashing a/d and q/e haha) and watch their fire and estimate where you think it'll hit, I've dodged full salvos this way at 6km. and just haul until you are once again undetected. 

Also, I don't even USE my guns on IJN DDs are they are slow (45second 180degree turn time?! My torpedos LOAD faster than that!) and it'll also give away your position. 

Hope this helps! 

If anyone has anything to add (Specifically about how to make my torp launching a bit more accurate) or sees that I've given bad advice, please do reply :D

Beta Testers
68 posts
1,511 battles

In general

you are fast, so it is easy to get yourself out of position.

watch the minimap at least 50% of the time during fights, and 100% of the time in between fights.

map awareness and position are extremely important.  you dont have enough health to be surprised.

use your speed to cruise up and down the battle lines until you find the battle you need.  yolo dd's might get a kill early, but early kills rarely win the game.  late game dd's are more dangerous.

-look for battleships or slow cruisers coming around islands

-look for enemy ships firing at targets.  ships not engaged in fights already will react to you much quicker, as they are not in tunnel vision mode

- avoid fast firing ships like the cleveland and st louis.  they may not one shot you, but the constant fires and engine dmg will wreck you

- never charge into an area with no escape route.  you have to think of how you will get away before you attack

- dont try to chase a cv down in open ocean if he has more than a 8 km lead on you.  he will draw you out  while your team gets wrecked.  cv can be killed if you can get within 5-8 km of them before they notice, but its hard before that

- use torps to control the flow of the enemy. wheter you hit or not, a wave of torps will make them turn and change thier attack pattern

- turn off aa in smoke.  shooting planes while in smoke lights you up. (p button turns off aa)

- learn your detection range and use it.  its quite easy to get behind the enemy in open water, if you know your spotted range

- when fleeing watch the enemy behind you, when you see his guns flash, turn the opposite direction, wait for another flash, turn again opposite direction.  will reduce the hist you take.

- if you see a cruiser or dd running parallel to you and hes not firing his guns, start turning. torps are coming, dont wait for them

- smoke is life, dont waste it

[TXGUN]
[TXGUN]
Members
4,596 posts
13,514 battles

A trick i use is not to pop smoke unless I am retreating. the only thing a smoke screen does is advertise where you are at. I dont use smoke even in my Clemson until after I have made my torpedo run. also another thing is not to get in an area where there are alot of enemy ships. Its best to only attack single ships where other ships are not in range. Also dont assume that a BB cant kill you. I just did three matches in a row with my Arkansas Beta and got three kills per match. Of 9 Kills 6 were destroyers.

[VOORD]
Beta Testers
33 posts
5,882 battles

Don't ignore using guns with IJN DD's I do use them, and you'll see it in my video highlights below- don't be THAT IJN destroyer Captain that relies solely on his torpedoes. Guns are absolutely necessary when you get into close in destroyer knife fights, knocking out your opponents engine will make it easier to land a torpedo on them with just a single salvo or keep them Dead In Water if your torpedoes are reloading.

Since torpedoes take much longer to reload at higher tiers start developing the discipline to hold off launching torpedoes when your enemy is at a terrible attack angle, if your the type to dump all of your torpedoes on top of the aim helper just to miss, you may find that you have the PERFECT angle / time to launch seconds later, but just couldn't hold onto one of your torpedo tubes until then.

Finally be prepared to get just totally stomped each game, I do. And I have been taken out in the first 2 minutes of a game because I was OVER aggressive. you don't need to be and doing so is a sure way to get killed.

Here are links to my twitch video highlights I also do a few bad torpedo shots, learn not to do these. As well as run into some island or two. :trollface:  NSFW words and comments and some trash talk so I hope your of a mature nature. But I think I highlight MANY of the points given on this thread. I am not the best DD player, not by far, but I do main DD's far more because I find them much more enjoyable than any other class of ship. Okay shutting up and linking my highlights so you can watch, learn, observe, and probably pick up a few moves / figure things out that you could adopt into your play style.

Mutsuki, Exploiting enemy formation and my stealth to get to the rear ranks. Lots of 'why I'm doing this'  / 'what I am thinking' commentary. Don't have post game results of this one but it is worth the watch.

http://www.twitch.tv/devil_kit/v/7185380

Minekaze, using my guns yo.  No commentary on this one. I also admit, I do not exploit the stealth of my DD, but I chose to be hyper aggressive while we had the upper hand and give the enemy no time to counter it works out very well in the end.

http://www.twitch.tv/devil_kit/v/7190040

2015-07-06_00001.jpg2015-07-06_00002.jpg2015-07-06_00003.jpg

Minekaze, similar to the Mutsuki replay (in what I do) but again, guns, don't neglect guns on your IJN DD.

http://www.twitch.tv/devil_kit/v/7189184

2015-07-07_00001.jpg2015-07-07_00002.jpg2015-07-07_00004.jpg

Using all my tricks in the bag in this game, post game screen shots kind of make my point.

http://www.twitch.tv/devil_kit/v/7026415

2015-07-07_00005.jpg2015-07-07_00006.jpg2015-07-07_00007.jpg

Hope these videos with their commentary help.

2015-07-07_00006.jpg

2015-07-07_00005.jpg

2015-07-07_00007.jpg

2015-07-06_00001.jpg

2015-07-06_00002.jpg

2015-07-06_00003.jpg

2015-07-07_00001.jpg

2015-07-07_00002.jpg

2015-07-07_00004.jpg

Beta Testers
43 posts
202 battles

I like to torpedo ships and run. Right now I am playing the tier III IJN destroyer.

Should I focus on smokescreens for my teammates or something?

First life gets much better in the tier IV Isokaze and immensely better at V with the Minekaze.

Smoke at this point in the game is almost useless, save for yourself and escapes, do NOT pop smoke if you haven't been seen, you're just letting them know your location. It only lasts 20 seconds so the help for your team is almost nothing.

Try not to fight cruisers solo, they exist to kill DD, the St. Louis is the devil on water, this is important. :ohmy:

Know the range of your torpedoes.

Make sure you know the distance you become visible on both water and from the air, you can launch your torps and you don't become visible, this is really more important later as the early torps don't have all that great of a range.

As an IJN DD try not to use your guns at all unless already detected and you have no choice, they are all but useless and once again they give your location away.

Turn OFF your AA guns they also give away your location and you don't have enough of them to do much good anyway, this is accomplished by pressing the "P" key after the game starts.

Hope some of this helps. :honoring:

Edited by Dizzy_Squirrel

Members
438 posts
6,587 battles

If a plane is in AA range you have already been spotted ...  at least in a USN DD....  

Beta Testers
251 posts
679 battles

In a DD, be skittish.  You have no armor, no health, and your guns are tiny.  You are NOT a main combatant.

Stay outside your detection range, and feed torps to unsuspecting ships as they come around islands, or if they're not paying attention and driving in a straight line.  If your torps have the range to do so, of course.

IJN, don't use guns unless you have to, they're poor.  Your torpedoes are your main weapon.  Save your guns for when an enemy DD surprises you.

USN, don't use torps unless you can surprise someone around islands, use you guns from range.  You have fantastic guns and horribly short ranged torps.

Turn off AA unless you're on the opposite side of an island from ALL the enemy.  All it does is show where you are.  If no one can hit you but planes, you might as well make it hard on them.

Your job is to scout the enemy, capture cap circles, and (later) ambush unsuspecting enemies.  Fair fights are for BBs.  Face raping a CV midgame is your happy time.

[STORM]
Alpha Tester
1,125 posts
4,431 battles

Just because you can be the first one to the fight doesn't mean you should be.

Good tactics include hiding on the side of a cruiser who is charging at an enemy warship in a brawl and use them as moving cover before popping out from behind and unloading torpedoes. 

DD's are unparalleled for early game capping and for capping UNDEFENDED or lightly defended cap points. Good DD players tend to have average damage per games but a high win rate or high cap points per game for this reason.