You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Eagle1468

Individual Main Battery Control

3 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
977 battles

Sorry if this is Off topic for this Discussion area but the Suggestion area is closed I believe and I just had to make a suggestion!!!!

I think the Main Batteries should have the option of individual control and all control.

Some Main Batteries are slow and full swing takes forever to change sides of the ship (for example the South Carolina)

If you were able to aim the batteries either in ALL or Individually (Toggle ability) this would help. In real life each battery is independent of each other so why shouldn't it be so here?

So say if I toggle the Batteries as INDIVIDUAL control I should be able to aim (let's use the South Carolina for example) Battery 1 forward, Battery 2 to Port, Battery 3 to Starboard, Battery 4 to Aft. Then have where you can select the batteries as you want to fire. If you want all Batteries to focus on one point then View thru the Battery of View point wanted then Toggle back to ALL Batteries. Oh and Allow for each battery to have whatever SHELL you choose for it. So Battery 1 & or 2 & or  3 & or 4 can be set to AP and or HE as you see fit.

This will allow for more realistic game-play and be more effective in battle.

Banned
3,836 posts

sounds interesting. BBs could defenitly use a divided control on batteries due to their slow traverse.

so like settign an arc and ammo type for each to go to would be interesting.

Beta Testers
162 posts
1,801 battles

This has been brought up several times since I've joined the forums. The general outcome of them is that in a practical sense with the way the game is set up a toggle returning and locking sets of turrets for/aft into a neutral position and not allowing them to fire while locked. That way when you have a use for the aft turrets they aren't all the way port when you need them starboard.  Also due to how the game is made I do not think we will ever see multiple shell types loaded at the same time as shell flight times and travel paths are different between the two shell types. Not to mention how much more difficult this could be to manage in the heat of battle. Think about managing all of St Louis' guns individually in both shell type and aiming... very quickly becomes impractical.

Members
2 posts
977 battles

Maybe the St. Louis should not have this option as her Main Battery turning time is very low. However, Battleships and other ships that have centralized guns that rotate from Port to Starboard should!

As far as HE or AP rounds go I think this is a good idea to be ALL or Individual.

Let's look at it in battle ---

As the South Carolina (just to be consistent with my original post) You may be in battle with more than 1 type of ship and at different distances at the same time do to her slow speed and turn speed.

Being in battle with another Battleship and a Cruiser and or Destroyer all at the same time is not unheard of... A matter of fact it happens a lot (at least to me)....

I like to put the main (or most powerful Enemy ship say the Battleship at my 45 degree angle as it does less damage to my ship when hit)

the Cruiser and the Destroyer are much faster and they tend to go Broadside or aft to get a better angle on my Battleship.

Having Batteries 1 & 2 for the Enemy Battleship setup with AP rounds set to 310 to 355 or 005 to 040 degrees relative respectively would decrease damage and allow for the attack.

Then having Battery 3 (lets say the Cruiser is on my Port Broadside) set, with AP or HE rounds, at 260 - 270 relative will allow for a quick attack response.

And let's say that pesky Destroyer has positioned herself aft and is coming up our Starboard side for a torpedo run....

Then Battery 4 with HE rounds aimed for impact at her hull would also allow for a quick response..

You say this would be too complex.... I disagree. Think about the time it takes to reload each battery... I could switch from battery to battery and position each one where I want it and fire all while the ones I just fired are reloading!

This would not be too complex - this would just make sense! Why can't a Battleship Fight on all fronts like say the St. Louis as you mentioned with her batteries on both sides; all it takes is a quick swing of the mouse and very, very little time to aim on the opposite side?

Edited by Eagle1468