You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SyberSmoke

Will we see the Alaska class Large Cruiser (AKA Battle Cruiser)

96 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
66 posts
2,435 battles

There is is, the simple question.  Has there been any mumbling about Wargaming releasing the Alaska as a premium ship in the same vein as the Ishizuchi?

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

All we currently know is that it is slated for tier 6.

• Cool 1

Members
3,243 posts
1,579 battles

It'll either be a tier 10 BC, or it'll end up as a low-tier US BB with 3/4 of it's AA stripped for "balance".  They'll throw in some made up hull modifications too if it's low-tier, since it was decommissioned in the same state it was commissioned in.  Should point out it will never have it's historical 4.5rpm rate of fire at low tier either, and is likely that even at tier 10 it would only get 3-3.5.

Edited by Sirus_Patton

Alpha Tester
119 posts
1,622 battles

It'll either be a tier 10 BC, or it'll end up as a low-tier US BB with 3/4 of it's AA stripped for "balance".  They'll throw in some made up hull modifications too if it's low-tier, since it was decommissioned in the same state it was commissioned in.  Should point out it will never have it's historical 4.5rpm rate of fire at low tier either, and is likely that even at tier 10 it would only get 3-3.5.

I think it will probably branch off from either the Cruisers or BBs not its own branch. If it branches of Cruisers, then it will have intact AA. If it branches off BB, it will have nerfed AA. Unless of course, WG decides to NOT do that and reverses the Iowa and NC AA nerf which would be swell.

Members
3,243 posts
1,579 battles

I think it will probably branch off from either the Cruisers or BBs not its own branch. If it branches of Cruisers, then it will have intact AA. If it branches off BB, it will have nerfed AA. Unless of course, WG decides to NOT do that and reverses the Iowa and NC AA nerf which would be swell.

Honestly there are enough designs that the US could have a full battlecruiser tree from tier 2-10 without an issue.  And even though several were converted into CVs or never laid down, I'm fine with it given the majority of the Russian tech tree will be nothing but paper designs the Russians couldn't have built.  As far as it's AA, it came off the line with the same AAA firepower as the North Carolina which was deemed too powerful for tier 8, so if it came in at say tier 6 it would have nothing like what it was equipped with.
Edited by Sirus_Patton

Beta Testers
1,413 posts
454 battles

Tier 6, oh that's right it fits in BB line of bad designs that should have never been tried.  The thing is it has a single rudder and couldn't turn or take a hit.
Edited by Rotary_Rocket

Members
3,243 posts
1,579 battles

Tier 6, oh that's right it fits in BB line of bad designs that should have never been tried.  The thing is it has a single rudder and couldn't turn or take a hit.

Actually, it's an excellent battlecruiser design, which is what it is in a nutshell despite official nomenclature of "Cruiser of exceptionally heavy displacement".  Over 200mm of belt armor and 9 12"/50 caliber main guns firing 4.5 rounds per minute with a staggering AA suite.  Her roll was to steamroll cruisers and lead fleets of heavy and light cruisers, not to act as a battleship.  
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
312 posts
1,096 battles

Personally, I'm hoping the Alaska, B65, and Germany's P-Class are tier X alternatives that top off the heavy cruiser lines. They don't belong in the battleship line, IMO, because the only place they'd fit is tier 4 or 5, which is an insult to those ships. At top tier, they could do their intended job of hunting down lesser-armed cruisers with extreme prejudice, but would probably be utterly useless against destroyers and proper battleships. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
66 posts
2,435 battles

Well what ever they do...I am waiting to see what happens.  Some times there has to be compromises for good game play sadly (less AA) but reality would be far less fun to play.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

I was hoping it would end up the tier 10 in one of the cruiser lines with the DM being the other.

Alpha Tester
2,410 posts
2,897 battles

yeah.... about that... The Alaska should be the same Tier as the Scharnhorst...wouldn't you think?... I mean she is not as well armored as the Scharnhorst but she does have a bit better firepower...

Alpha Tester
2,410 posts
2,897 battles

I was hoping it would end up the tier 10 in one of the cruiser lines with the DM being the other.

uhm those BCs... Alaska and Scharnhorst would get crunched at tier ten.... t7 is about where they belong

Members
418 posts
233 battles

We know for a fact that, as far as WoWS is concerned, battlecruisers are battleships. So it'll be considered as such.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

uhm those BCs... Alaska and Scharnhorst would get crunched at tier ten.... t7 is about where they belong

Against a DM? Or a Zao? Take an Alaska any day.

Alpha Tester
2,410 posts
2,897 battles

We know for a fact that, as far as WoWS is concerned, battlecruisers are battleships. So it'll be considered as such.

and we know for a fact that they are splitting the BC and BB line... so that we will have separate lines... unless the latest Dev interview was a lie lol.

Alpha Tester
2,410 posts
2,897 battles

Against a DM? Or a Zao? Take an Alaska any day.

yeah... then again a Nelson, Admiral, KGV, Colorado, and Nagato can crunch a DM and Zao also....
Edited by Mourneblade

Members
418 posts
233 battles

and we know for a fact that they are splitting the BC and BB line... so that we will have separate lines... unless the latest Dev interview was a lie lol.

Linky please.

I know that they said that as far as matchmaking is concerned BCs are BBs. That was way early in development though so that might have changed.

Alpha Tester
2,410 posts
2,897 battles

Linky please.

I know that they said that as far as matchmaking is concerned BCs are BBs. That was way early in development though so that might have changed.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/1697-what-we-know-about-ships-updated-25062015/

This is the Tech tree as we know it now.. Red squares are BCs

As to the interview.. my mistake they are splitting the CL/CA line first... Japanese translator issues apparently lol

Beta Testers
1,280 posts
2,433 battles

USS Alaska? Tier 6?? THIS USS Alaska?

Alaska_zpsj6bqnpv5.jpg

Are you out of your frikkin minds??

Even the cleveland isnt that heavy and gods know theres a ton of threads about how OP THAT ship is.. Lets look at its direct competitor..

shot-15.07.09_11.50.24-0194_zpswdemp3wk.

If alaska is tier 6 my granny is a Popsicle.  tier 8 maybe.. but never tier 6.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
2,410 posts
2,897 battles

Alaska_zpsj6bqnpv5.jpg

Even the cleveland isnt that heavy and gods know theres a ton of threads about how OP THAT ship is.. Lets look at its direct competitor..

She is way too crunchy to play at tier 8 IMHO... she only has 9" belt armor....her reload rate at best is every 20 secs....I don't know..

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,461 posts
1,963 battles

It'll either be a tier 10 BC, or it'll end up as a low-tier US BB with 3/4 of it's AA stripped for "balance".  T Should point out it will never have it's historical 4.5rpm rate of fire at low tier either, and is likely that even at tier 10 it would only get 3-3.5.

Tier 10? Unlikely. Too weak compared to the other available candidates.

I don't believe that the RoF was 4.5. Navyweaps gives the much more believable figure of 2.4-3.0.

Beta Testers
1,280 posts
2,433 battles

She is way too crunchy to play at tier 8 IMHO... she only has 9" belt armor....her reload rate at best is every 20 secs....I don't know..

i dont know either to be honest, but it stll seems to me that Alaska is a massively capable ship.  Speculating here so bear with me..

We know that WG increased the capabilities of the Murmansk ( because its russian ) while at the same time, nerfing the capabilities of american ships, so perhaps they'll nerf the alaska into near oblivion like they have all other american ships??

Like I said, I dont know. I want the Alaska in game and have for quite some time. Its the closest thing the americans have to a battle cruiser.. Its a great ship, but at tier 6 crunchy or no, it would dominate the entire field without even breaking a sweat.

Oh and tier 8?? Yeahh, we have the Atago. Also verrrrrry crunchy. good with chocolate.. Seriously, except for Atagos torpedo's i'd put it and Alaska about even on both the crunchy scale and the firepower scale..

Edited by Fog_Battleship_Mikasa

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,461 posts
1,963 battles

Alaska_zpsj6bqnpv5.jpg

Thats thinking of it as a cruiser. As a Dreadnought it is against Fuso and New Mexico.