Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Halios

Kita Kami

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
5 posts
2,773 battles

I would really like to know why the Kita Kami was taken out and when/if they are putting it back in please?

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

Players couldn't figure out how to use it so it got labeled underpowered and then removed.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,630 posts
5,107 battles

I would really like to know why the Kitakami was taken out and when/if they are putting it back in please?

Fixed that for you. Its Kitakami, not Kita Kami. 

~Hunter

Beta Testers
209 posts
3,713 battles

I was a big "tester" of the Kitakami and she was one of the primary reasons my win/loss and kill/death ratios were so bad in beta.  We testers were asked for ideas on how to balance her and they apparently didn't like what I and others had to say.  She is too powerful in weapons and weak in all other attributes to balance like they do any other class of ship.  She is closest to a DD in purpose though she's a modified Tier IV Kuma-class light cruiser.  The more destroyer-like the Devs made her the less they were satisfied she was playable for the masses.

I had recommended that she be lowered from a Tier VIII premium to a Tier VII premium in keeping with her limited 10 km torpedoes.  Others recommended increasing her torp range due historically her carrying long ranged torpedoes, such as out to 15 km as comparable level DD's have.  Another suggestion was much longer reload times or limited torpedo reloads so she couldn't spam torps all match.  Unlike a carrier who is useless once she runs out of planes the Kitakami has four single 140mm guns on the bow, a DP twin secondary mount aft and light AA guns.  So she'd still be able to fight once out of torps, though at like a DD level of firepower.  None of these changes were immediately implemented and we were left wondering if they'll be play-tested and the ship returned to service down the road.

As for the real ship, the game's 1941 version of the Kitakami and her sister-ship Oi were specialty weapons created to dump long lance torpedoes in waves ahead of the main fleet during an expected night action against the US Navy.  She was never meant to be used in daylight where the enemy could see what she was doing and avoid the torpedo attack.  Fortunately for the US Navy the Kitakami was not assigned to an area where the tactic was tried out on us Americans.  Imagine the result had Kitakami been part of the night resupply runs to Guadacanal, for instance.

The nature of the war changed and so too did Kitakami.  She and Oi were modified to be fast transport cruisers, losing many of her torpedo launchers, gaining more AA and carrying 2 landing craft instead.  The pair were very successful in this role and mainly served together.  However, Oi was sunk on July 19, 1944 by the USS Flasher (SS-249) about 570 miles south of Hong Kong in the South China Sea. Most of her crew survived and the Kitakami wasn't with her on that run.  The DD Shikinami was on hand and attacked Flasher unsuccessfully.

Once the war became one sided and Japan was resorting to Kamikaze attacks the Kitakami was again refitted this time to be a mother ship for the Kaiten human piloted torpedoes, a tactic the Germans also resorted to when they got desperate.  All her vaunted torpedo launchers were removed and rails to launch the Kaiten installed running down her sides.  In late 1944 the Kitakami was damaged in an air raid but not completely put out of action.  She was surrendered at the end of the war and for a while she saw limited service as a repair tender for reparation ships.  She was scrapped in August, 1946.

Attached is a typical Kitakami match - I was sunk by a Cleveland, likely from just one or two quick salvos but still got a ship with my torp spam after death.

And my old sig line: http://kitakami%20sig_zpscldicqkz.jpg

shot-15.05.27_20.54.34-0863.jpg

• Cool 2

0 posts

So it is most likely never coming back?

It will probably come back, but not for a bit. 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,008 posts
5,814 battles

I doubt WG are just going to throw away such a historically unique ship into the bin entirely. Kitakami will probably return once WG figure out how to balance her.

Personally I don't think Kitakami's temporary absence is necessarily a bad thing. Her replacement Atago is a very good all round ship similar in playstyle to the main branch IJN heavy cruisers, so it's much better for training cruiser captains.

Sign in to follow this