You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Omenbourne

The pain of playing BB's

24 comments in this topic

Members
19 posts
201 battles

I hate to say it fellas but until the Random battle Queue is less than 60% Battleships (which it usually is now) i can almost guarantee there will be nothing done to "Improve" them. i hate the laughable accuracy and raging fires in my BB as much as the next guy but seriously, there are usually at least 4 BB's to a side now and if you look at the ships waiting for the Tier 4 - 6 battles it is almost always over 50% Battleships and often over 60%

Beta Testers
2,420 posts
1,809 battles

All of which are reasons wg should try as hard as they can to make them more fun to play

Beta Testers
435 posts

All of which are reasons wg should try as hard as they can to make them more fun to play

Missed the part where BB the majority and kind of a pain in the [edited]to play not the selective opinionated part where you think just because there are more BB that WG should buff them.  Game would stagnate to overblown armored ships with massive hitpoints that cannot reach the objective and if under tiered the better ships would dominate...like entire teams of Iowas. Repeat whining of underperforming class and endless buff/nerf cycle.

• Cool 4

Members
19 posts
201 battles

Yeah turning into world of battleships is an almost guaranteed failure. This is the Beta still though i expect lots of things to change eventually. but until the number of battleships vs every other kind of ship goes down a lot you can almost bet anything you want they are gonna look for ways to get more people in the other classes.. DD's and CV's for instance are very very low in numbers on the MM. Cruisers and BB's easily make up nearly 90% of the players waiting for matches and the BB's outnumber the cruisers nearly 2 to 1.

Beta Testers
501 posts
3,962 battles

i do not know..... i see more cruisers then i do BBs... if you play lower ters then yes but the higher ters are close to even with BBs and CAs/CLs  now we have a lowe CV and DD problem up here

Edited by cronics

[CVRME]
[CVRME]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,942 posts
10,652 battles

Class Popularity =/= Class is ok.  

Many will say differently, but that's the bottom line.  Everyone wants to play the Big, shiny Battleship with cool/huge guns.  If I had to guess... the vast majority of players who are in BB will quit out of a fundamentally stupid design for how the guns work out.  Give it time, the "new car smell" will wear off.

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

I don't know; I was in a great BB and CA/CL-only slugfest not too long ago.  It was wonderful, and felt like a proper naval battle.  No DDs, no CVs; just pure skill with leading, aiming, and tactics.  Personally, I wish MM would do this more often.

8mpmHoi.jpg

Beta Testers
345 posts
4,996 battles

Try not to generalize like that, makes you look petty.

Yeah i've made it really evident I care about how i'm perceived by mouth breathers whining about how underpowered the 2nd strongest class is on an ezmode arcade game
  • Cool 2

Members
7 posts
283 battles

I've been messing around with them for a bit now. Initially got stomped, but once I started getting the hang of it, my performance improved dramatically. As far as I can see, they are not particularly "laughable", only that they are unforgiving. If you drive in somewhere you shouldn't, you're not likely to be able to get away in time to recover from it. If you get caught and swarmed, you can't get away. If you get yourself poorly positioned, it takes much longer to adjust it.

If you play it right, you avoid all of that most the time. Things can still happen, yes. I got ammo racked presumably by a single shot to the back of my superstructure and my full health battleship 'sploded rather spectacularly. I think most people want them to be floating death wagons of indestructiability and while they may have been that to an extent in life, that would make for a poor game. It's rock paper scissors, guys. The fires will probably get tweaked in the near future, also likely the gun dispersion, it's a bit unnecessary to make "sky is falling" threads all the time, especially when it's really not THAT bad if you're careful.

RNJesus, he giveth and he taketh away. Live with it.

• Cool 1

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,257 posts
12,077 battles

4 classes

so all being equal 25% each

BB = less than 60% you say......

so BB = 40%

therefore BB are better than average by YOUR statement, yet it seems you are complaining........

Anyone else confused by this?

:sceptic:

Beta Testers
644 posts

I hate to say it fellas but until the Random battle Queue is less than 60% Battleships (which it usually is now) i can almost guarantee there will be nothing done to "Improve" them. i hate the laughable accuracy and raging fires in my BB as much as the next guy but seriously, there are usually at least 4 BB's to a side now and if you look at the ships waiting for the Tier 4 - 6 battles it is almost always over 50% Battleships and often over 60%

People are playing them because they're fun. It's exciting to land that massive hit occasionally. Plus a skilled BB captain is one of the most dangerous things you can encounter on the field. 

[NDA]
Beta Testers
5,251 posts
8,893 battles

you either have good days as a BB or bad days. but if i did have to say anything about balance the NC and Iowa feel wayyy to squishy.

it makes no sense how easy it is to get citadel'd which makes you play ultra passive by constantly playing like a tank and never showing your side and it makes you question whether or not they have been over nerfed to hell.  cause they certainly dont feel like battleships at all in the way they play.      

more like cruiser killers i guess and mayb chase a pesky DD here and there, but they are paper and cant rly go toe to toe at all in a brawl unless you wanna go for a straight ram then its fine.

Members
37 posts
1,229 battles

I think all the BB's need is a slight range increase of their secondary guns.

I've been finding grinding my Myogi a tad painful. But I'm chalking most of that up to being new at the game.

Not using the Myogi's strengths to their best advantage.

Edited by Lethalhavoc

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,591 posts
5,060 battles

you either have good days as a BB or bad days. but if i did have to say anything about balance the NC and Iowa feel wayyy to squishy.

it makes no sense how easy it is to get citadel'd which makes you play ultra passive by constantly playing like a tank and never showing your side and it makes you question whether or not they have been over nerfed to hell.  cause they certainly dont feel like battleships at all in the way they play.      

more like cruiser killers i guess and mayb chase a pesky DD here and there, but they are paper and cant rly go toe to toe at all in a brawl unless you wanna go for a straight ram then its fine.

I'll comment here on the Iowa.

Iirc her belt armor was only 14 inches thick, and she was armored in the bow bulkheads more than any BB built at that time.

that tells me that she's fast for a reason, and she's built to approach and destroy, not trade broadsides like a tallship. I built a reputation in a couple of circles for being a hyper aggressive BB player. I blame the Warspite and the Iowa, in that order. Approach, angle the armor,  fire your third turret over the shoulder and you're golden in the Iowa

Beta Testers
501 posts
3,962 battles

I'll comment here on the Iowa.

Iirc her belt armor was only 14 inches thick, and she was armored in the bow bulkheads more than any BB built at that time.

that tells me that she's fast for a reason, and she's built to approach and destroy, not trade broadsides like a tallship. I built a reputation in a couple of circles for being a hyper aggressive BB player. I blame the Warspite and the Iowa, in that order. Approach, angle the armor,  fire your third turret over the shoulder and you're golden in the Iowa

this is very true the iowa is very tanky if you keep bow to your enemy. Now i found that if you angle to get your 3erd turret in is a little to much and start taking damage 

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,591 posts
5,060 battles

this is very true the iowa is very tanky if you keep bow to your enemy. Now i found that if you angle to get your 3erd turret in is a little to much and start taking damage

Yup. Very true (fun fact, I deleted a pair of Iowa's in one match, in the Warspite. Wish I wasnt loudly celebrating and took a screenie instead...)

So usually you just swat that tail out to fire and reconceal it while it reloads. Heck, hang back a couple seconds and let them shoot first (if against another BB) then shoot your number 3 while they are reloading

Beta Testers
21 posts
3,752 battles

I treat my battleship like a battleship, getting in there all dirty like. Let my AI guns do work, its a battleship not a sniper. Get a DD and a cruiser with you and you can take out ship after ship.

Beta Testers
501 posts
3,962 battles

Yup. Very true (fun fact, I deleted a pair of Iowa's in one match, in the Warspite. Wish I wasnt loudly celebrating and took a screenie instead...)

So usually you just swat that tail out to fire and reconceal it while it reloads. Heck, hang back a couple seconds and let them shoot first (if against another BB) then shoot your number 3 while they are reloading

im just glad there are sooo meany bad Iowa skippers out there...shudder to think about what it will be like if more know how to play this beast,,, :ohmy:

never mind guys keep going broadside it makes my life a lot easier  :playing:

Edited by cronics

Members
750 posts
1,271 battles

im just glad there are sooo meany bad Iowa skippers out there...shudder to think about what it will be like if more know how to play this beast,,, :ohmy:

never mind guys keep going broadside it makes my life a lot easier  :playing:

World of tall ships lol. This^^

If you have a 30 second reload, use that time to, oh I don't know, present a smaller target. I've NEVER felt UP in a BB once I figured out a bit of the strategy to them. The only thing that scares me is islands hiding DDs. 

[N-F-H]
Beta Testers
309 posts
5,612 battles

Try not to generalize like that, makes you look petty.

because one game screenshot always shows everything about everything!

[NDA]
Beta Testers
5,251 posts
8,893 battles

i find this tactic a hard counter to the heavy tank playstyle. 

dd comes at your side ready to torp, you have 2 bb infront of you now you must make a decision either get citadeled, or take the torps.

what will it be? ;p

Beta Testers
782 posts
388 battles

I've been messing around with them for a bit now. Initially got stomped, but once I started getting the hang of it, my performance improved dramatically. As far as I can see, they are not particularly "laughable", only that they are unforgiving. If you drive in somewhere you shouldn't, you're not likely to be able to get away in time to recover from it. If you get caught and swarmed, you can't get away. If you get yourself poorly positioned, it takes much longer to adjust it.

If you play it right, you avoid all of that most the time. Things can still happen, yes. I got ammo racked presumably by a single shot to the back of my superstructure and my full health battleship 'sploded rather spectacularly. I think most people want them to be floating death wagons of indestructiability and while they may have been that to an extent in life, that would make for a poor game. It's rock paper scissors, guys. The fires will probably get tweaked in the near future, also likely the gun dispersion, it's a bit unnecessary to make "sky is falling" threads all the time, especially when it's really not THAT bad if you're careful.

RNJesus, he giveth and he taketh away. Live with it.

Battleships are much more reliant on skill than any other class.  Your decisions have to be right the first time because most BB can't maneuver to extract themselves from bad positioning like a CA or a DD can.

And you are right, it was posts like,  Ruining the game, worst class in the game, etc...  that really fired me up.  Especially when I see that most of them starting the "sky is falling" threads and posts are simply either not that good at ships, don't have many matches and/or are better in BB's than in CA/L (based on K/D ratios).

I open up my angle just before I complete the reload and try to time it so turret #3 lines up just as the reload completes and then I close down the angle again until just before the next shot.  Rinse and repeat.