Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rev_Humpjoy

BB Accuracy- How bad is it really?

16 comments in this topic

[-GET-]
Beta Testers
670 posts
8,643 battles

So I was digging through a old Naval journal online and came across a interesting graph showing BB accuracy.

Table 1: Accuracy of Battleship Gunfire

Range 

(Yards)           Percantage of hits

12,000             12.3

14,000              8.9

16,000              6.2

18,000              4.2

20,000              2.6

22,000              1.5

24,000              0.7

26,000              0.1

28,000              ---

30,000              ---

10k yards = 9.1 km

12k yards = 10.9km

26k yards = 23.7km

* This is from a 1922 journal and was the test results from using a spotting plane for the first time to gain range.  

Of course later spot planes were implemented on most ships and also, radar increased accuracy of BB's over time.  

Thought I'd share this for those that complain about BB's only landing 1-2 shells per salvo at long range. Like it or not WG is pretty close, and possibly allows for more hits than in reality. 

Anyways, enjoy! 

• Cool 3

[VX9]
Beta Testers
619 posts
4,170 battles

Any chance we could get a link to your source for anyone interested?

Very interesting nonetheless

Beta Testers
86 posts
814 battles

Pretty sure its been established that BB gunfire from real life was very inaccurate, however since we aren't simulating 3 hour engagements, taking real life accuracy numbers for gameplay is going to be seriously unfun.

• Cool 2

Members
26 posts
1,940 battles

I agree with Endeav , this is great for historical knowledge but it has no place in this game.

I don't like getting hit by a BB but if I were driving one, I would like to hit what I shoot at.

Their shell spred is pretty bad as it is.

Alpha Tester
119 posts
1,622 battles

As primarily a BB driver, this makes total sense. This is pretty much what I see happen in game and it is well represented. However, the main problem is you can visibly see the shells going 10-15 degrees off center out of your gun at times with some guns. This, is what most of us (I think) are complaining about.

[-GET-]
Beta Testers
670 posts
8,643 battles

As primarily a BB driver, this makes total sense. This is pretty much what I see happen in game and it is well represented. However, the main problem is you can visibly see the shells going 10-15 degrees off center out of your gun at times with some guns. This, is what most of us (I think) are complaining about.

That is understandable. I would g that is just an animation issue though.  I may be wrong but I would assume you get RNG when the shot is fired to figure dispersion, than another RNG to calculate damage when you hit the target. uess

Beta Testers
79 posts
1,257 battles

I have found with the Wyoming firing all guns at once is better than doing a rolling broadside accuracy wise.

[ONAVY]
Beta Testers
901 posts
12,831 battles

Interesting... So buff their armor a bit and make sure all have at least minimal AA.... and I'm happy. I've found that grinding out the expensive gun fire control upgrades makes a big difference, particularly on the BBs. But people are in such a rush to jump up the tiers they don't want to spend big creds on 'em. I'm happy to take my time going up the ladder. It ain't a race folks!

Members
19 posts
201 battles

I would be happy if they would just lessen the dispersion between guns in the same mount. i will often get radical dispersion at close ranges from firing one turret. it sucks to see all of the two or three shots from one turret go in wildly separate directions. As an aside though if folks would wait until the tier 5 BB's before they make any decisions about how they play. the tier 5's are easier to play because they are faster and the the guns accuracy at 50 - 75% max range is much better. at max range the accuracy of all the BB guns suck, its just at lower tiers your max range is still fairly close.

• Cool 2

[CVRME]
[CVRME]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,942 posts
10,652 battles

I find it a bit comical that OP here decides to use historical/real life values to justify current BB accuracy.  So... people are really going to go back to "cherry-picking"?  Sad.  Of course people who hate BBs and anybody who plays them will hop right on board with this, or the historical fanatics both of which have no place for an arcade game.  

Seriously,  If we really want to use this as justification, I could start listing tons of balance changes and new mechanics to seriously f*** over any class in this game, including BB to make it "closer to reality".  But is that good for a game (not a simulation)?  No, of course not.  

So sorry, you can leave numbers like these at the door thank you very much.

Other thoughts:  While interesting to see from a historical standpoint, Once again, this has no place for any talks in balance or to justify the status quo.

Edited by CaliburxZero

Beta Testers
80 posts

People need to realize that the only time you're going to get an impressive broadside that hits with a BB is when your enemy is in secondary gun range.

[CS7]
Beta Testers
326 posts
7,159 battles

Well if you want to talk about historical accuracy then cruiser guns should be no more accurate than BB guns and they certainly should not have almost the same range as BB guns either.

Beta Testers
1,413 posts
454 battles

You have data that covers up to a tier IV ship.  Accuracy of guns and FCS improved substantially by the start of WW II

Sign in to follow this