You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ironhidex

Want to play in a battleship? Watch my guide first..BB guide & tactics

186 comments in this topic

[BBC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
366 posts
6,011 battles

So..your here cause you want to steam in a Battleship and want to know how or you are in BBs and are getting wrecked...watch my guide on battleships learn to be king of the sea...use my tactics and the enemy will look upon your works and despair...enjoy

Großer Kurfürst Guide  *new*

Friedrich der Große guide

How to battleship...in 3min or less 

Nagato Guide and Review 

Fuso Guide and Review 

also check out my Destroyer guide!

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/38935-want-to-play-a-destroyer-watch-my-guide-firstdestroyer-guides-and-tactics/

AND my Cruiser guide

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/39053-want-to-play-a-cruiser-watch-my-guide-first-cruiser-guide-and-tips/

and now...<gasp> carrier guides

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/42300-want-to-play-a-carrier-watch-my-guide-firstcarrier-guides-and-tactics/

[Thread moved to appropriate forum]

- Yshoneist

Edited by ironhidex
  • Cool 16

[NET]
Beta Testers
633 posts
8,609 battles

good guide, thanks man. couple things that i woulda like to see mentioned were slow american bb tactics. they have less range and slower speed but turn fairly well. any thoughts on there use? 

[QAPLA]
Beta Testers
1,186 posts
4,641 battles

Wish this had been around since day 1!!!

Had to learn all this the hard way, but since I started playing exactly like this a couple days ago, my win rate has gone way up. I was at 33% 100 games in, now over 45% with 200. Only playing battleships and some cruisers.

Great video man.

[BBC]
366 posts
6,011 battles

good guide, thanks man. couple things that i woulda like to see mentioned were slow american bb tactics. they have less range and slower speed but turn fairly well. any thoughts on there use? 

well I play the USN and IJN BBs about the same...once your at tier 6 the range is almost the same.....but with USN BBs I like to get much closer...they have better armor and more guns so close to brawl range from tier 3 to 6 tier 7 colo is kinda iffy and tier8+ can brawl or range fight....just remember the torp ranges of DDs and IJN cruisers and if a ship with torps gets inside that range he must become your main target...also if a DD is coming in on ya hold fire until he goes broadside to ya..he will turn to launch his torps and then alpha strike his butt  while also getting your rudder turning cause you have torps inc....but the basic of angle tords or away from ships and sliding your butt out to fire off a full salvo holds true for all BBs IJN or USN....just use your head...if your in a new york and your facing a wyoming...just stay 14km+ and he cant even hurt you etc

edit- but if you do not have aiming down yet...get closer...must always be putting out dmg and sinking ships...if your facing a ship that does not have torps...close to 1km if you have to to slam those shells into his citadel ..you will be fine long as you angle and slide out when your loaded

Edited by ironhidex
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
200 posts
2,132 battles

Well the Warspite is in that camp I beefed up my secondary battery range to 6km, want to get the skill to add another 1km to that and I brawl I move into juicy middle range and hammer it out then if anything is dumb enough to get into secondary range I designate them. That's what BB are for to take punishment and dish it out so they aren't shooting at the cruisers and destroyers as much or at all. The ocean map especially if you hang back your cowards and letting the poor other ships scouting usually die. Mix it up some. Japanese ships are different but firing away at range isn't accurate even you people need to close in some to get good hits.

[BBC]
366 posts
6,011 battles

think il make another cruiser guide as well

[BBC]
366 posts
6,011 battles

yea was a bummer ah well...got the fuso now....omgz so much fun ...more guns with better dispersion soooo good...once you get threw that painful stock hull anyways

[BBC]
366 posts
6,011 battles

once you get past the stock fuso anyways

[BBC]
366 posts
6,011 battles

good night of smashin..

Members
595 posts
500 battles

Great guide. 

I just learnt through trial & error myself, HE shells is freaken useless on a BB against BB/CA targets. Basically slinging HE makes your BB a worse CA (much slower RoF, reliance on fire procs or RNG crits).

I just got the hang of AP fire and damn, BB with AP rounds and a good aim is a beast. 8-12k damage from tier 3-4 is amazing.

Great tip on the blading between salvos!

2,809 posts
1,670 battles

HE shells are more useful against DD/CL, got to be careful using HE against armored carriers as it is almost as bad as shooting HE at battleships.

Beta Testers
134 posts
3,811 battles

ya know I was watching and it seemed to start out well until around 3 minutes when you said the most important things you as a player can do is learn how to shoot and learn how to maneuver.

shooting is easy. bbs are between 5-7. cruisers are usually 10. dds are past 10. not hard. it's the rng that stops you from becoming a good bb.

maneuvering is something you already talked about in the very beginning with cvs. you simply cannot avoid tbs.

i couldnt watch the other 12 minutes as it's not hard to play a bb, it's the stupid game mechanics that hold you back as a player which is bad game design imo.

Beta Testers
134 posts
3,811 battles

i went down usa bb line until colorado (tier 7). i never had a problem with range, just slap on the modification that gives you extra range and use your scout plane. other than that you dont need 20+km range as you will surely miss 98% of those shots.

they do not turn well at all either so i'd recommend the rudder modification as well. unfortunately you just cannot make enough credits in tier 7 to keep going down the line (as a free user anyway). so i eventually quit and also because of the cv tb [edited].

other than that it's just a simple point and click game. follow the herd cause if you try to actually strategize you will lose.

Beta Testers
43 posts

I would like to add a few comments about perspective.

Regarding scale: Time is compressed. These 20 minute matches would be hours long in reality. We all understand this. What is not commonly thought about is ship scale. The ships themselves are scaled up. They are huge. Bring a DD along side a CV and it is ridiculous the size of the DD. Bottom line, ships take up much more surface area in the game than in reality. It is my understanding that this was done to make the ships easier to hit.

Scale part 2: Torp drops from CV planes do have a minimum arming range (as do DD torps). Based strictly on observation these ranges are based on actual in game range. Remember the ship scale above? If the center of your ship is zero KM and the arming distance is 500 meters then why does it looks so different? It looks different because the ship is scaled up. The drop, arming and hit looks far closer than it should be all because of artificial scaling. (If you look at the buildings on the islands and assume they are a "correct" scale, then the ships are super tanker size!) Note: The assumption is the the center of the ship is zero meters and not the hull.

Regarding accuracy, I agree about accuracy being reasonable. However I am disappointed about dispersion. As the ships are scaled so much larger than they should be so has dispersion been scaled up. The perception therefore is that there are minimum hits at distance. I believe people would be happier if they saw more hits but to compentate reduce average damage. Citadel hits should still cause massive damage but with decrease dispersion, increased hits at distance there should be a reduction in damage per shell.

Some might now be asking about the difference between accuracy and dispersion. Accuracy refers to hitting the specific point of the ship like a citadel. Dispersion is the zone the shots land in at distance. That is why the word straddle is used.

Shots made at range (for that particular ship) are less accurate at hitting a specific ship location. The hope is that given correct lead the shots will straddle the target's center of mass and on of the incoming shells with hit the target.

To conclude about perception, ships in game are artificially making things like arming distance seem too small. The dispersion of long range shots is large to compensate for ship scale. Has WG made the right decisions regarding scaling up shop models? Have they compensated for map scale and ship size correctly to give a more believable gaming  experience? It does not appear so.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
43 posts

I wish to remind players that as they gain experience they can improve gun accuracy via captains skills and ship modifications. These are not immediately available at lower tiers however. Tier five and six is when you can begin adding accuracy modifications and by then captain skills are taking much greater effect.

Try this experiment: Keep a tier 3 and 4 BB and put a highly skilled captain in it. You will find that accuracy is much improved compared to playing it the first time.

[BBC]
366 posts
6,011 battles

ya know I was watching and it seemed to start out well until around 3 minutes when you said the most important things you as a player can do is learn how to shoot and learn how to maneuver.

shooting is easy. bbs are between 5-7. cruisers are usually 10. dds are past 10. not hard. it's the rng that stops you from becoming a good bb.

maneuvering is something you already talked about in the very beginning with cvs. you simply cannot avoid tbs.

i couldnt watch the other 12 minutes as it's not hard to play a bb, it's the stupid game mechanics that hold you back as a player which is bad game design imo.

You prob should take my advice on how to get better...stop using RNG as a crutch for you being unable to put out the damage...if it was all just RNG then why is there bad BB drivers (you) and good BB drivers?...what do I just get lucky every match I am in?....if all that matters is RNG...why do I just on avg pump out more then twice the damage you do per match in the same ships...why do I kill more then x3 more enemy ships per match on avg......but ya know what its not hard to play a BB as you have shown ...anyone can hop in and fail there way up the tiers earning 700 exp a match..

" bbs are between 5-7. cruisers are usually 10. dds are past 10." i have no clue what your talking about here....are you talking about the rads on your aiming bar?...if you count your rads and that's how you aim...you are doing it wrong

http://worldofwarships.com/community/accounts/1000662935-/

• Cool 2

Members
153 posts
171 battles

Ironhidex, what should I do if I'm surrounded by enemy ships? Also, when only showing the front or behind, what is a good distance between me and an enemy vessel?

[BBC]
366 posts
6,011 battles

Ironhidex, what should I do if I'm surrounded by enemy ships? Also, when only showing the front or behind, what is a good distance between me and an enemy vessel?

ah if you are surrounded by enemy ships...only 1 thing you can do

no really though...keep your nose pointed at any BBs and alpha down any DDs that are close followed by cruisers that have torps then any other close cruisers....or if something is super low hp make him first target

as far as when your pointed tords or away...depends on the ship your facing if I am facing a BB I will steam right up to him point blank range if I need to...if i need to close to 0.3km to keep from showing him my side then I will...vs DDs I always steam away ..gives you more time to shoot them down and for cruisers depends if they have torps and the situation but I dont have a set range I want to be at....if i am steaming away its prob because there is to many ships to push into....if its just 1,2,3 ships I will most likely just keep heading tords them

Edited by ironhidex

Alpha Tester
1,997 posts
2,336 battles

Really nice guide. And great gameplay. 

I agree on the salvo firing. I seem to have much greater rates of damage vs sequential. Im not sure if the accuracy RNG is calculated differently when you fire all at once rather than one at a time, But something is superior. 

This guide should probably be stickied at the top. Should be mandatory viewing before jumping in a battleship.