You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Yank59

Armoured Flight Deck

47 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
256 posts
4,969 battles

Anyone know how this is implemented in game? I know the Midway has one but I never played it (apart from the enterprice in the space game).

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Taihou, the first armored aircraft carrier, should be immune to fire on deck because she has nothing flammable exposed. Her flight deck was 3 inches thick, steel armor plates. She was able to withstand direct hits from 500 pound bombs without damage.

But that doesn't matter to WG, she's just as fragile as any other CV. So I wouldn't hold my breath for the Midway being any sturdier.

Edited by Cruiser_Wichita
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
973 posts
2,500 battles

Anyone know how this is implemented in game? I know the Midway has one but I never played it (apart from the enterprice in the space game).

Not sure if it does, Doubt it thought, But it would be a nice module to add.. Since it was a real thing. 

[LFD]
Alpha Tester
3,951 posts
723 battles

a fully upgraded Lexington should to, as the Enterprise had one late war

Beta Testers
323 posts
3,583 battles

Wait, what?  

The Lexington and Yorktown class (of which Enterprise was a member) had nothing to do with each other...besides being aircraft carriers.

And Enterprise never had an armored flight deck at any time during her career.

Beta Testers
368 posts
234 battles

Pretty sure armored flight decks of the time were still wood at the topmost level... and the armor was below, only above the hangar.  Also, there would be plenty of things still flammable on the deck, especially if any squadrons have just landed or have yet to be launched.  Also, if BB/CA/DDs can still be set on fire, you can bet that CVs should be also -- maybe HE will just do less damage.

One downside that should occur if this is implemented is a debuff to maneuverability, as the additionally tonnage topside would affect the seaworthiness of the ships in question.

Beta Testers
368 posts
234 battles

Wait, what?  

The Lexington and Yorktown class (of which Enterprise was a member) had nothing to do with each other...besides being aircraft carriers.

And Enterprise never had an armored flight deck at any time during her career.

Also, Lex was sunk at Coral Sea -- way before the Brits showed how useful an armored deck was.  I don't think any of the Essexes even had armored flightdecks.

Alpha Tester
1,730 posts
1,193 battles

No U.S. War time CV had an armored flight deck. The Essex were the first class to introduce an armored hangar deck. Yorktown, Lexington, Wasp, and Ranger classes had at most some armor over their steering gear when constructed. Only Enterprise (Yorktown class)  and Saratoga (Lexington class) had more added later over their machinery and their magazine spaces. But neither had an armored flight deck or hangar deck ever. 
Edited by Cragger

Alpha Tester
1,730 posts
1,193 battles

Also, Lex was sunk at Coral Sea -- way before the Brits showed how useful an armored deck was.  I don't think any of the Essexes even had armored flightdecks.

Actually in hindsight while the armored flight decks did lend towards several ships perhaps surviving attacks for the British the resultant heat from fires and explosions trapped beneath the armored flight deck ended up twisting their structures so much as to make repairing said ships to fully operational status economically prohibitive, it was actually cheaper to build new ships. In the end the last designs the British made before the end of the war were much like the Essex class. Dumping the armored flight deck and instead armoring the hangar deck. This made the spaces above sacrificial and thus outside the main structure of the ship and therefore much easier to repair if damaged. 

[ECOM]
Beta Testers
838 posts
11,053 battles

Taihou, the first armored aircraft carrier, should be immune to fire on deck because she has nothing flammable exposed. Her flight deck was 3 inches thick, steel armor plates. She was able to withstand direct hits from 500 pound bombs without damage.

But that doesn't matter to WG, she's just as fragile as any other CV. So I wouldn't hold my breath for the Midway being any sturdier.

Except, the real Taiho went down partially because of [edited]damage control and design flaws... so I wouldn't really say it would be impossible for a fire to start on her deck. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Except, the real Taiho went down partially because of [edited]damage control and design flaws... so I wouldn't really say it would be impossible for a fire to start on her deck. 

An internal explosion of fuel vapors released by a torpedo hit is now equivalent to an external deck fire, guys.
  • Cool 2

[ECOM]
Beta Testers
838 posts
11,053 battles

An internal explosion of fuel vapors released by a torpedo hit is now equivalent to an external deck fire, guys.

I wasn't making that claim... but was saying that the ship had issues, just because it had an armored deck really doesn't for a moment mean a fire couldn't start on deck.  Also there could be ammo/bombs fuel, any number of flammable items on deck.

But during CBT a Hakuryu did bounce a 460mm shell to it's deck from my yamato... was a bit annoyed by that. 

With regards to non armored decks, there is something to be said about them with regards to quick repairs.  The Yorktown's deck was damaged early in the battle of midway, but by the time another Japanese wave arrived they had the deck repaired and functional, causing the Japanese planes to mistake it for another ship. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

Beta Testers
475 posts
5,244 battles

I wasn't making that claim... but was saying that the ship had issues, just because it had an armored deck really doesn't for a moment mean a fire couldn't start on deck.  Also there could be ammo/bombs fuel, any number of flammable items on deck.

But when we say fire we mean fire damage. If you put gas on a brick wall and light the gas on fire, it doesn't really do much damage to the brick wall. Small but important detail. 

One day we'll get degrees of severity for damage, fires, and floods! Maybe next year. :(

Edited by PG908

[ECOM]
Beta Testers
838 posts
11,053 battles

But when we say fire we mean fire damage. If you put gas on a brick wall and light the gas on fire, it doesn't really do much damage to the brick wall. Small but important detail. 

One day we'll get degrees of severity for damage, fires, and floods! Maybe next year. :(

A fire on deck would still effect flight operations, though yes, it would probably do very minimal damage, unless it managed to spread below deck. 

I'd like to see this idea implemented:  http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/17145-fires-need-a-diminishing-returns-effect/

But yes the fire damage system needs an overhaul completely, its just to damned effective.  As it stands, its like napalm shells rather than HE. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,670 battles

Use AP for those CV and see satisfying high damage rolls due to their armour. 

Members
982 posts
366 battles

3 inches isn't that thick.

Beta Testers
1,413 posts
454 battles

First for the IJN not the first.  Also CV decks are filled with fuel and ordinance they are going to burn.  Funny that you want a ship that burning to destruction to be fire proof in the game.

Members
982 posts
366 battles

First for the IJN not the first.  Also CV decks are filled with fuel and ordinance they are going to burn.  Funny that you want a ship that burning to destruction to be fire proof in the game.

This true: Any CV in the process of launching or recovering aircraft is going to have a flight deck covered in fuel, ordinance, and fragile aircraft carrying both.

Beta Testers
368 posts
234 battles

This true: Any CV in the process of launching or recovering aircraft is going to have a flight deck covered in fuel, ordinance, and fragile aircraft carrying both.

Midway, anyone?

Members
3,067 posts
2,554 battles

not if the procedure is to do rearm, refuel, or changing ordinance IN the hangar deck which is right below the flight deck as was typical for IJN carriers.

Members
982 posts
366 battles

not if the procedure is to do rearm, refuel, or changing ordinance IN the hangar deck which is right below the flight deck as was typical for IJN carriers.

Akagi.

Hit by a single bomb that penetrated the flight deck and exploded in the hangar deck.

It's sitting on the bottom of the ocean.

WG Staff
81 posts
642 battles

British armored flight decks being superior is one of those war stories going around that seemed like it makes sense without a lot of data to back it up usually (a bit like American tanks catching on fire because they used gasoline - which had nothing to do with it). There's definitely an element of Trans-Atlantic rivalry to them as well which is always a worry when it looks like there might be vested interests. Interesting article here with a different opinion - admittedly pretty heavily biased in the other direction but it makes a lot of good points.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-030.htm

Now... how does this effect the game (where we don't really care what happens to the ship AFTER the battle), I'm not sure.

Beta Testers
1,023 posts
2,801 battles

Akagi.

Hit by a single bomb that penetrated the flight deck and exploded in the hangar deck.

It's sitting on the bottom of the ocean.

Which did not have an armored flight deck...

Beta Testers
1,413 posts
454 battles

Tell the the dead at Midway that procedure. perhaps had they followed it they might have won the battle.