Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

23 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
4,982 posts
6,249 battles

Zerstörers, the German DDs, does anyone know how these will be implemented? So far I've only found 3 base models that were used during WWII. The Type 34, the Type 36 and the Type 38. The Type 34 having 4x5' guns with 8 533mm torpedo tubes. I can't imagine the Type 34 going any further than tier 7, where the Sims resides. The Type 34 might make tier 7 as it has the same amount of torpedo tubes as the Sims. However, it has 5x5' guns, one more than the Sims. The Type 36 had basically the same armament as the Type 34, but was larger. It was a small upgrade in durability, and integrity to the Type 34. The type 38, from what I could find, were just even larger DDs that held 2 propulsion systems to allow it to endure long journeys. So I do ask, what will the Kriegsmarine have in the DD compartment?

[LFD]
Alpha Tester
3,951 posts
723 battles

look at the what we know about ships thread, i would link it, but the search function is just about useless.

WG Staff
81 posts
642 battles

They also had some very large torpedo boats (Flottentorpedobootthat were essentially Destroyers in all but name.

Beta Testers
19,049 posts
8,108 battles

Zerstörers, the German DDs, does anyone know how these will be implemented? So far I've only found 3 base models that were used during WWII. The Type 34, the Type 36 and the Type 38. The Type 34 having 4x5' guns with 8 533mm torpedo tubes. I can't imagine the Type 34 going any further than tier 7, where the Sims resides. The Type 34 might make tier 7 as it has the same amount of torpedo tubes as the Sims. However, it has 5x5' guns, one more than the Sims. The Type 36 had basically the same armament as the Type 34, but was larger. It was a small upgrade in durability, and integrity to the Type 34. The type 38, from what I could find, were just even larger DDs that held 2 propulsion systems to allow it to endure long journeys. So I do ask, what will the Kriegsmarine have in the DD compartment?

I honestly want to see Z33's 149mm guns. Type 36 'Narvik' class DD

They also had some very large torpedo boats (Flottentorpedobootthat were essentially Destroyers in all but name.

They'd make good tier 2/3s.

Beta Testers
28 posts
1,915 battles

A German destroyer tech tree could maybe look something like this:

II: G96-class large torpedo boat (1916)

III: V158-class large torpedo boat (1917/1918)

IV: V116-class destroyer (1918)

V: ZF4-class destroyer (1923) (captured from French service)

VI: 1934-class destroyer (1934) (with 1934A hull upgrade)

VII: ZF2-class destroyer (1936/1939) (captured from French service)

VIII: 1936-class destroyer (1936) (with 1936A and maybe B or C hull upgrade)

IX: 1942-class destroyer (1943)

X: 1944-class destroyer (1943)

Maybe not perfect, but I'd do it like that.

Edited by MastahCheef117

WG Staff
81 posts
642 battles

They'd make good tier 2/3s.

1940 class has 2 x 4 torpedo tubes and 5 inch guns. That's putting it in Tier VII territory.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
26,569 battles

V: ZF4-class destroyer (1923) (captured from Dutch service)

Is that an actual dutch design? I know we made a heap of destroyers and cruisers, but the chance of any other dutch design showing up in the game is quite small, so as a dutchman I would love to see a captured dutch destroyer in the german tree.

Beta Testers
28 posts
1,915 battles

Is that an actual dutch design? I know we made a heap of destroyers and cruisers, but the chance of any other dutch design showing up in the game is quite small, so as a dutchman I would love to see a captured dutch destroyer in the german tree.

Mind you, that list isn't official. Just something I came up with on the spot for this thread.

As far I know the destroyers were Dutch designed and built, and were confiscated in the 'yards when the Dutch government fled in the face of the German invasion.

EDIT: My mistake, that one is French. Though the Germans did confiscate some Dutch destroyer hulks after the invasion.

Edited by MastahCheef117

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
26,569 battles

EDIT: My mistake, that one is French.

Yeah that's what my google told me as well.

I do know the dutch made some decent game-appropriate destroyers, like the Admiralen, Friesland, Holland, Wolf, Gerard Callenburgh ...

The HNLMS Gerard Callenburgh made it into german service as the ZH1. I'm thinking that ZH stands for Zerstoerer Hollandisch and ZF for Zerstoerer Franzozisch.

Beta Testers
19,049 posts
8,108 battles

1940 class has 2 x 4 torpedo tubes and 5 inch guns. That's putting it in Tier VII territory.

A lot larger than originally thought it seems...

Beta Testers
13,436 posts
141 battles

Mind you, that list isn't official. Just something I came up with on the spot for this thread.

As far I know the destroyers were Dutch designed and built, and were confiscated in the 'yards when the Dutch government fled in the face of the German invasion.

EDIT: My mistake, that one is French. Though the Germans did confiscate some Dutch destroyer hulks after the invasion.

The Germans took Gerard Callenburgh and salvaged her after she got scuttled, commissioned as ZH-1.

That's pretty much the only one they got from the Dutch IIRC, the only other Dutch DD-class in WW2 was the Admiralen-class, all in the Pacific.

And we all know what happened to the Dutch East Indies Fleet.

Beta Testers
28 posts
1,915 battles

The Germans took Gerard Callenburgh and salvaged her after she got scuttled, commissioned as ZH-1.

That's pretty much the only one they got from the Dutch IIRC, the only other Dutch DD-class in WW2 was the Admiralen-class, all in the Pacific.

And we all know what happened to the Dutch East Indies Fleet.

1024px-My%C5%8Dk%C5%8D_trials_1941.jpg

This did.

Edited by MastahCheef117

Beta Testers
28 posts
1,915 battles

It's Myoko. Two of her sister ships took part in the Battle of the Java Sea, aka the deletion of the ABDACOM/Dutch East Indies Fleet.

Beta Testers
13,436 posts
141 battles

It's Myoko. Two of her sister ships took part in the Battle of the Java Sea, aka the deletion of the ABDACOM/Dutch East Indies Fleet.

Ah, okay, I thought you meant something else.

If I recall, a majority of the Dutch East Indies Fleet was just torpedo sniped to death.

Beta Testers
4,982 posts
6,249 battles

So could that mean a second tree for Flottentorpedoboot?

Beta Testers
4,982 posts
6,249 battles

Also sorry for replying so late. I was finishing up the basic structure of "The Quintessential DD Guide"

Beta Testers
4,982 posts
6,249 battles

I honestly want to see Z33's 149mm guns. Type 36 'Narvik' class DD

I want those ~6 inch guns on a DD so bad. They don't look that bad, 8 torpedo tubes and 5x6' guns. I'd take it in a heartbeat!

WG Staff
81 posts
642 battles

So could that mean a second tree for Flottentorpedoboot?

No idea sorry.

My gut says there's probably not enough meat on that bone but they could definitely fill some gaps.

Personally I'd like to see the Spähkreuzer 38/40 squeak in as a super-Destroyer at tier X but at 5700 - 7500 tons it'd be punching well outside its weight division.

• Cool 1

[NORUN]
Members
695 posts
8,870 battles

Well, something that the Germans implemented in their DDs wasn't just torpedoes.  The various Z classes from 34 and above all had the ability to carry and deploy 60 anti ship mines each.  Now that would be an entertaining tweak to the current gameplay.  It would certainly be useful to screen CVs and BBs from surprise DD torp-[edited], or more importantly teach yolo CA and BB players the error of their ways.

Beta Testers
13,436 posts
141 battles

I want those ~6 inch guns on a DD so bad. They don't look that bad, 8 torpedo tubes and 5x6' guns. I'd take it in a heartbeat!

Technically...it's 5.9in(rounded).

:P

Sign in to follow this