You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Teufelshund_1775

Fighter scouts are absurdI

32 comments in this topic

[TFLT]
Beta Testers
330 posts
3,438 battles

It has nothing to do with balance or anything like that...it is just silly and unnecessary. I understand that this is not a purely historical game and that the developers are required to use a bit of artistic license here and there for game balance, ship variety and playability. But the idea of a fighter aircraft with floats attached to it sitting on my cruiser's catapult is just absurd. Can we simply have our relatively historical scout aircraft back that increase our detection range a bit while aloft and just let our AAA deal with incoming aircraft like before. Please?

This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My opinion is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My opinion, without me, is useless. Without my opinion, I am useless...

Edited by Teufelshund_1775
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
966 posts

I hate to break it to you but the IJN for example had a strong fetish for using Fighter Floatplanes instead of traditional scouts, and even made a whole carrier in one case that used 22 of them.

If your objection is purely that they are "ahistorical" then I regret to inform you that they are completely historical.

There is even at least one "ace" IJN fighter floatplane pilot.

EDIT: A few examples, A6M-2N Rufe floatplane fighter, Master Sergeants Kawai and Maruyama each credited and recognized as aces with 4 kills.

The E8N was also notable for usage as an area-defense fighter and served aboard all capital ships and heavy cruisers in the fleet at one point or another, and even carried a pair of 66lb bombs.

By 1943 the E13A Jake became the standard shipboard floatplane and was armed with an MG and a pair of 550lb bombs, later intended to be replaced by the E16 which was a fighter floatplane armed with a single 550lb bomb, one 7.7mm MG and a pair of 20mm cannons.

I'll leave the rest of what research there is to you.

Edited by Tears_of_Destiny
  • Cool 6

Alpha Tester
1,997 posts
2,336 battles

It has nothing to do with balance or anything like that...it is just absolute fiction and unnecessary. I understand that this is not a purely historical game and that the developers are required to use a bit of artistic license here and there for game balance, ship variety and playability. But the idea of a fighter aircraft with floats attached to it sitting on my cruiser's catapult is just absurd. Can we simply have our relatively historical scout aircraft back that increase our detection range a bit while aloft and just let our AAA deal with incoming aircraft like before. Please?

CV capitan spotted! 
  • Cool 2

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,605 posts
7,195 battles

The IJN NEVER deployed fighter float-planes on their cruisers. The aircraft on the cruisers were scouts, because that is what their doctrine called for. Planes off cruisers for scouting, planes off carriers for attacking. The Japanese used fighter float-planes (mostly the A6M2-N), but they were deployed from seaplane tenders or established bases, not from cruisers. That isn't to say I mind what they have done. Scouts are awfully powerful in game.

Edited by AdmiralPiett

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,843 posts
7,637 battles

We have ahistorical values in a game? SHAME. SHAME ON THE CREATORS. What blasphemy that we go against history for our own entertainment.

[TFLT]
Beta Testers
330 posts
3,438 battles

CV capitan spotted!

Check your eyes spotter. My profile says otherwise. I think I have like two battles in a CV. This is purely an aesthetic complaint. Nothing more. I'm a cruiser guy and I still don't want them.

Beta Testers
200 posts
2,132 battles

The Warspite's scout float plane also had bombs and sunk a submarine so they are fine as scouts. This is a arcade type war game not a realistic simulator stop being so picky.

[TFLT]
Beta Testers
330 posts
3,438 battles

We have ahistorical values in a game? SHAME. SHAME ON THE CREATORS. What blasphemy that we go against history for our own entertainment.

I guess you didn't read and completely comprehend what I posted. Pretty sure I said something about understanding artistic license for game balance, playability blah blah blah...but that's ok...just cherry pick what you want and then comment on that. I just wanted to speak my mind, because...you know...the forums.
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,102 posts
403 battles

the ability for a single floatplane fighter to disrupt an entire squad of skyraiders's is pretty silly thou

"sir there's a biplane floatplane that goes 200 KPH, and armed with a pair of 7.7 machine guns on our 6"

"DAMN, everyone panic, ease off on the throttle, and break formation, that biplane will kill us all"

It's more logical to have bombers who have already dropped their load to be able to disrupt other bombers. Heck, there was even a Mig-17 kill in Vietnam by Skyraiders.

Edited by Awesomecopter

Beta Testers
966 posts

The IJN NEVER deployed fighter float-planes on their cruisers. The aircraft on the cruisers were scouts, because that is what their doctrine called for. Planes off cruisers for scouting, planes off carriers for attacking. The Japanese used fighter float-planes (mostly the A6M2-N), but they were deployed from seaplane tenders or established bases, not from cruisers. That isn't to say I mind what they have done. Scouts are awfully powerful in game.

Bullcrap.

The E8N was also notable for usage as an area-defense fighter and served aboard all capital ships and heavy cruisers in the fleet at one point or another, and even carried a pair of 66lb bombs in addition to the MGs.

By 1943 the E13A Jake became the standard shipboard floatplane and was armed with an MG and a pair of 550lb bombs and was found first on the tone cruisers before widespread deployment, later intended to be replaced by the E16 which was a fighter floatplane armed with a single 550lb bomb, one 7.7mm MG and a pair of 20mm cannons.

• Cool 1

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

To an extent, for balance, I agree.  

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,843 posts
7,637 battles

I guess you didn't read and completely comprehend what I posted. Pretty sure I said something about understanding artistic license for game balance, playability blah blah blah...but that's ok...just cherry pick what you want and then comment on that. I just wanted to speak my mind, because...you know...the forums.

k... then to help your comment as to why we don't have those anymore, they were practically useless. Increase to sight range... wow so big. At least now they do something to help you.

Beta Testers
1,400 posts
262 battles

The nation with absurd Fighter Floatplanes is the USN. They never developed them to my knowledge and the ones we got in game are hodgepodge of CV fighter parts and pontoons.

Beta Testers
966 posts

God forbid anyone shares and opinion on a game...how dare they.

Opinions are fine, but saying "This never happened in history" when it did, is wrong and should be corrected lest it spread and further contaminate other issues.

The nation with absurd Fighter Floatplanes is the USN. They never developed them to my knowledge and the ones we got in game are hodgepodge of CV fighter parts and pontoons.

This for example I'll agree with, as outside of a few odd prototypes like modded Wildcats the USN never had a widespread float fighter plane, though they were certainly in the realm of possibility.

Beta Testers
1,102 posts
403 battles

Bullcrap.

The E8N was also notable for usage as an area-defense fighter and served aboard all capital ships and heavy cruisers in the fleet at one point or another, and even carried a pair of 66lb bombs in addition to the MGs.

By 1943 the E13A Jake became the standard shipboard floatplane and was armed with an MG and a pair of 550lb bombs and was found first on the tone cruisers before widespread deployment, later intended to be replaced by the E16 which was a fighter floatplane armed with a single 550lb bomb, one 7.7mm MG and a pair of 20mm cannons.

Except the E8N was not a frontline combatant by any stretch. With a top speed of 300 kph and only 2 7.7 mm guns, it was a threat to absolutely nothing but another recon floatplane. If a squadron of SBD's found an E8N, they would probably shoot it down for sport, nevermind A1D's. Only the E16A was anything close to being a threat for single seat bombers.

In game we have A6M2N's taking on 4 zero's and usually ending up with a kill before it goes down.

Edited by Awesomecopter

[TFLT]
Beta Testers
330 posts
3,438 battles

Opinions are fine, but saying "This never happened in history" when it did, is wrong and should be corrected lest it spread and further contaminate other issues.

Point taken. I edit out "absolute fiction" and replace it with "silly".

Beta Testers
1,520 posts
187 battles

Bullcrap.

By that I guess all scout planes were floatplane fighters as the Kingfisher had MGs and Bombs... actually pretty much all  scout planes carried MGs and bombs. It however doesn't make them fighters.

Alpha Tester
1,997 posts
2,336 battles

Yes, so lets take the fighter floatplanes away from the USN because, you know, they have ALL the advantages in the game so far. :sceptic:

Alpha Tester
17,510 posts

Yes, so lets take the fighter floatplanes away from the USN because, you know, they have ALL the advantages in the game so far. :sceptic:

the brits on the other hand

used a captured Rufe on a ship after the war

Beta Testers
966 posts

By that I guess all scout planes were floatplane fighters as the Kingfisher had MGs and Bombs... actually pretty much all  scout planes carried MGs and bombs. It however doesn't make them fighters.

They were classed as fighters and were intended for AA purposes, even if 80% of the designs were outdated by a year into WWII they were still fighters. A lot of antiquated weaponry was still used like the M1 used my US ground forces. *shrugs* the E16 is still a dangerous beast no matter how you cut it, a pair of 20 millimeter cannons is decidedly lethal no matter how you look at it even ignoring the smaller mg.

Regardless, they still were a match for the WWI biplanes we have now, and the Royal Navy made some monstrously deadly fighter floatplanes by modifying spitfires.

[TFLT]
Beta Testers
330 posts
3,438 battles

just to add some gasoline to the bond fire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakajima_A6M2-N

That's cute. You found one IJN aircraft. Now find me a USN versions of a legitimate fighter float plane and I may digress. But I still maintain that a fighter float plane is silly. Historical or otherwise.

Alpha Tester
17,510 posts

That's cute. You found one IJN aircraft. Now find me a USN versions of a legitimate fighter float plane and I may digress. But I still maintain that a fighter float plane is silly. Historical or otherwise.

argue first

think later

you never noticed the ammunition you were just presented with

your loss