You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RingZero

Is it worth it re-training captains from lower tier boats?

10 comments in this topic

Members
20 posts
230 battles

Is it worth bringing up the captains for the lower tier ship (1-3) as you progress up the different ship lines?  Or do you guys buy a new captain for 10k credits (which is pretty cheap)?

[-BPL-]
Beta Testers
624 posts
877 battles

Yes, instead of starting with a new captain you have a veteran captain who has a lot of perks on him.

Beta Testers
527 posts
11,385 battles

Yes, instead of starting with a new captain you have a veteran captain who has a lot of perks on him.

This, and at higher tiers you'll want a captain with a lot of perk rather than a new one.  

If 500 gold is too rich for you another way to go is to retrain at 200k credits to get half the xp needed, then use a low tier premium like the Arkansas and retrain them at a tier where having -50 on them won't place you at a huge disadvantage.

Edited by RoninMcGinnis

Beta Testers
1,031 posts
684 battles

I used my starting tier 1 captain without retraining him in tier 2 ships. 

I did this because the amount of games it takes to grind thru tier 2 does not generate enough XP to fully retrain unless using gold. Also 200k credits was not worth the few games the captain would spend at the tier 2.

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,436 battles

You can also retrain your captains on premium ships, so if, for example, you are retraining your Omaha captain to become a Cleveland captain but don't have the credits for good equipment yet, you could throw the retraining captain onto an Arkansas and retrain him that way. Full skill usage too!

Beta Testers
1,031 posts
684 battles

This, and at higher tiers you'll want a captain with a lot of perk rather than a new one.  

If 500 gold is too rich for you another way to go is to retrain at 200k credits to get half the xp needed, then use a low tier premium like the Arkansas and retrain them at a tier where having -50 on them won't place you at a huge disadvantage.

I would say that is a good guide for tier 4+. 

Tier 2 grinds are so short that retraining is not worth it. Tier 3 are borderline. 

[Y0L0K]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
621 posts
12,447 battles

Is it worth bringing up the captains for the lower tier ship (1-3) as you progress up the different ship lines?  Or do you guys buy a new captain for 10k credits (which is pretty cheap)?

I bring them up. But I don't mind spending gold to retrain them.

I personally just use the 200K per ship. for no perk loss, you grind out the ship's first modules with a bunted Cap, and then continue on his perks as well. You make the money and XP back over the lifetime of the ship in port.

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,436 battles

I personally just use the 200K per ship. for no perk loss, you grind out the ship's first modules with a bunted Cap, and then continue on his perks as well. You make the money and XP back over the lifetime of the ship in port.

I didn't even use the 200K. Full grinding for me. Not that bad once you premium bunny them.