You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
soulsedge

CV's....with decent players = way way way OP

126 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
756 posts
1,545 battles

Again, i'm going to post this, as i find it very very very very VERY discouraging.   This game is not going to make it with the current state of CV's and their rediculous manual drops.

I do not care what any of you come into this post and say.   Tons of other people are saying the same thing.  a CV player, that is even remotely decent at that class, is insanely OP (WITH) manual drops.

I was in my destroyer trying to chase one down. i could not catch him last game in my isokaze.     Not only could i not catch him.   The whole time, me and 3 others took chase,    he was wrecking us.    My DD can turn on a dime.    This guy was launching torps so close,   that even my DD couldn't turn in time.   I literally would see him flying in,  turn towards his plane. he would readjust slightly left or right.....re-align.....i would continue turning best i could......towards the plane and NOPE.    launch of torps,  literally only managed to dodge 1 outta 3 torp drop runs....and even then the one run that missed, just barely missed my stern along with a constant bombardment of dive bombers which mostly missed.   Something is seriously seriously messed up, when a decent CV player can take out destroyers at will with nearly no chance of said destroyer dodging.    The torp planes were dropping as close as possible and it was near impossible to dodge....IN A DESTROYER!       I'm not a new player by any means. 

This is absolutely, completely, utterly, insanely, stupidly RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!    GET RID OF MANUAL DROPS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!! ((((( OR INCREASE the TORPEDO ARM DISTANCE)))))) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      

thanks for reading my rant/suggestion.  have a good day! =)

Edited by soulsedge
  • Cool 7

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but when a torpedo group is already really close and has to readjust with a manual drop, it's quite fidgety. You first have to get the plane away from the target, enough for it to turn around and still have time to adjust it's torpedo's launch path, which takes a long time. From a person who has had two carrier games, (So you can't completely trust me) most of the times I've had to adjust and by the time I'm done that I have to adjust again. It is OP when when it's a battleship though, my first manual drop at a battleship had all but one of the torpedoes hit.

Edited by Legendary_Typo
  • Cool 2

[PPNA1]
[PPNA1]
Beta Testers
2,229 posts
29,229 battles

I'd dispute the "with decent player" part. People who are still playing Carrier these days are CBT carrier fanatics( I recognize almost all the T7+ carrier I run into right now) that survived multiple CV nerfs and still prefer CV to all other ships.  There are plenty of decent CBT CV players like me(+50% win rate and Max CBT tier on carriers before the wipes) who have put CV on the back burner and decided to level other ships first.

Judge whether most CV players are "decent" when the new people start picking up carriers and make it to T7 or higher. Personally I don't see a problem with CV power level right now, having played Battleship/cruisers heavily(4 T10s) during CBT when Carrier were much more powerful than they are now(USN carrier had 100% more torpedo bombers, Japanese carriers had 1/2 more torpedo squadron than they do now and narrower spreads) and it was a survivable environment then.

Edited by Cpt_VictorHenry_USN
  • Cool 1

Members
52 posts
205 battles

Sounds like you made it through pretty well.  Why do you think your one ship should be an instant kill on his one ship?  What was the CV class?  How far away from them were you when you say 'catch'?  I'm in the tier V category now, and the class 4 and 5 DDs are 2x the speed, if not 3.  Zero percent chance of a CV outrunning a DD.  Plus torp planes have to fly back, land, rearm, and take off again.  They also can't land when the deck is on fire and you made no mention of your torpedoes, so I'm guessing you may not have been as close to the chase as you say.

I get wrecked by DDs all the time.  I think you got popped by a lucky mag crit, or were not paying attention to a drop, and that one off surprise hit has you surprised and angry.  

Look at it long term - this is beta.  If WG sees the stats for 15k active players, I'm sure they will be able to pick out the anomalies.  Besides, if you're angry now, what are you going to do when they put a CV on the Premium shop? :)

Edited by FarVision

[FTACO]
Beta Testers
19 posts
2,129 battles

Sounds like a personal problem. Trust me when i say carriers are fine (Except for American Carriers this unique ship [edited]needs to stop.) 

Beta Testers
14 posts
1,555 battles

Sounds like a personal problem. Trust me when i say carriers are fine (Except for American Carriers this unique ship [edited]needs to stop.) 

he is right about the CV your just wrong as always

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,830 posts

Oh look this thread again.

Most they need to do is make CV's drop torps a bit farther away.  OR  rebuff turning speed on some of the BB's

• Cool 3

[KNIFE]
Members
5 posts
12,095 battles

This man is 100% correct when torp planes can drop so close as to get a destroyer at full speed think of the poor guys in battleships it took skill to fly a torpedo plane it was not just point and shoot .With 2 carriers in a battle i have been constantly attacked by torp planes to the point where this is a joke and with carriers in the battle i would just as soon not play and i am keeping my cash in my pocket this time , I am not gonna pay to get torped at will by guys who just plant the ships like arty in wot and just send out planes how sad is that . However if you put a scuttle feature into it so i can blow my own ship up before the torps get me that would be fun i can watch my ship blow up instead of just leaving battle lmbo :izmena:

• Cool 1

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,830 posts

This man is 100% correct when torp planes can drop so close as to get a destroyer at full speed think of the poor guys in battleships it took skill to fly a torpedo plane it was not just point and shoot .With 2 carriers in a battle i have been constantly attacked by torp planes to the point where this is a joke and with carriers in the battle i would just as soon not play and i am keeping my cash in my pocket this time , I am not gonna pay to get torped at will by guys who just plant the ships like arty in wot and just send out planes how sad is that . However if you put a scuttle feature into it so i can blow my own ship up before the torps get me that would be fun i can watch my ship blow up instead of just leaving battle lmbo :izmena:

Destroyer should have turned and ran at the planes making it much harder for the CV player.    DD's are fast.. they can close the gap and mess up a drow.

Only hard thing for a DD is if a IJN CV commits 2-3 Tb squads and does a very nice cross pattern.

Beta Testers
1,113 posts
500 battles

hey look! its a thread about a person with no idea how CVs work is complaining on how CVs work. . . the irony. . . 

:popcorn:. . . anyone want some popcorn?

• Cool 6

Beta Testers
756 posts
1,545 battles

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but when a torpedo group is already really close and has to readjust with a manual drop, it's quite fidgety. You first have to get the plane away from the target, enough for it to turn around and still have time to adjust it's torpedo's launch path, which takes a long time. From a person who has had two carrier games, (So you can't completely trust me) most of the times I've had to adjust and by the time I'm done that I have to adjust again. It is OP when when it's a battleship though, my first manual drop at a battleship had all but one of the torpedoes hit.

True.    But as long as you readjust your plants before they get into the circle of the manual drop.   They will readjust without going wonky. =)      Once they are past that point, they flake out,  so your right. kinda =)

[KNIFE]
Members
5 posts
12,095 battles

Spyde when you have 2 or 3 sets of torp planes on you which 1 do you turn to if i had just i set of trop planes it would be easy but when you get stormed by torp planes it is not easy to watch all of them on there aproach and when they can drop at point blank and arm how do you avoid that .:izmena:

Beta Testers
210 posts
655 battles

Were you chasing a Zuiho?

Did your team win anyway because he was the last ship on his team.

Did that CV driver drop you, another DD, a Kuma and a Myogi before dying?

Was this on islands?

If so, that was me :)

Thanks for the compliments :great:

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
756 posts
1,545 battles

yeah, other then my arkansas beta.....i wont even think about a Battleship play.     I think it would be the equivalent of bashing my head into a stone wall repeatedly vs torp bombers   No thanks.  =)

The CV in question was tier 6 japanese.  3 torp bombers, 2 dive bombers loadout (i think).   I was in the Tier 4 IJN DD.       I could not get in range of the CV to fire guns, let alone torps.     The reload times on his Torp planes was insanely fast.... but i understand that, otherwise carrier play would suck.       I had to jink and manuever hard, to try and survive his torp planes, which would give him a bit of distance,   i'd resume chase,   start to catch up.    Oh look another 3 second torp drop from his planes......have to turn again.   rinse and repeat.  

believe me when i say, it was not user error.   i did everything in my power.    This guy was very very good.    but it just goes to show...in the right hands.....manual drop is absurd.   Even decent players (me) in a CV, can hit DD's if they misjudge by even 1 second.....and i suck at CV's compared to some of these guys(i'm still decent)....

Edited by soulsedge

Beta Testers
368 posts
234 battles

4 guys chasing one carrier... and none of you could set him on fire?  He obviously already spotted you, so it's not like you have to worry about keeping quiet.  And in a chase with a 30+ knot ship, hopefully you weren't attempting torpedo spreads until you were near point blank range, and instead, were focused on closing the distance and watching for planes.

Beta Testers
210 posts
655 battles

lol hopkins. you forgot to get a kill with secondaries

/facepalm

epic fail... I iz a nub :ohmy: .....:D

Edited by StephenHopkins

Beta Testers
368 posts
234 battles

yeah, other then my arkansas beta.....i wont even think about a Battleship play.     I think it would be the equivalent of bashing my head into a stone wall repeatedly vs torp bombers   No thanks.  =)

The CV in question was tier 6 japanese.  3 torp bombers, 2 dive bombers loadout (i think).   I was in the Tier 4 IJN DD.       I could not get in range of the CV to fire guns, let alone torps.     The reload times on his Torp planes was insanely fast.... but i understand that, otherwise carrier play would suck.       I had to jink and manuever hard, to try and survive his torp planes, which would give him a bit of distance,   i'd resume chase,   start to catch up.    Oh look another 3 second torp drop from his planes......have to turn again.   rinse and repeat.  

believe me when i say, it was not user error.   i did everything in my power.    This guy was very very good.    but it just goes to show...in the right hands.....manual drop is absurd.   Even decent players (me) in a CV, can hit DD's if they misjudge by even 1 second.....and i suck at CV's.....

With this description, I don't know how you could call it a chase... more like his strike just owned you, which it really shouldn't have unless all his TBs dropped at the same time.

Beta Testers
756 posts
1,545 battles

Were you chasing a Zuiho?

Did your team win anyway because he was the last ship on his team.

Did that CV driver drop you, another DD, a Kuma and a Myogi before dying?

Was this on islands?

If so, that was me :)

Thanks for the compliments :great:

nope. was on two brothers.   And everything else was pretty much the same, except the CV didn't die, and it was a draw.    But he took out a lot of ships.

Members
20 posts
230 battles

To be fair, playing CV's isn't as easy as some players make it out to seem.

Doing manual torp drops and predicting torp travel time is kinda hard!  (At least for me...)

Beta Testers
756 posts
1,545 battles

With this description, I don't know how you could call it a chase... more like his strike just owned you, which it really shouldn't have unless all his TBs dropped at the same time.

in his defense,    he was dropping literally as close as the arming distance would allow......it was brutal.    

[RAZGZ]
Beta Testers
814 posts
14,926 battles

pretty much agree.

Yep good CV drivers rackup the kills and damage you see it most battles.   Bad CV drivers die.