You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

Can we all agree on one thing with CV manual drop

26 comments in this topic

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,421 posts
2,511 battles

The problem really only exists in low tiers where AA is near non existent and most CV captains can easily readjust for evasive maneuvers by BB's without fear of losing many I any planes. Even concentrated AA fire from multiple ships wont do much due to the fact AA at low tiers is rather laughable. Outside tiers 4/5 and a few 6's CV's are fine and can get eaten up by AA rather quickly due to the special ability cruisers get at that tier. Agreeing with this means we can address the problem specifically where it actually is and not make it seem like an across the board thing.

• Cool 4

[ANIME]
Beta Testers
135 posts
4,713 battles

Ok so remove manual drop from tier 4 and 5 CV's? Well at least they would then get their Manual drop at the same time as Cruisers get their AA ability. It would be a good compromise then just to remove it completely, which some people are demanding.

Banned
2,485 posts
977 battles

Ok so remove manual drop from tier 4 and 5 CV's? Well at least they would then get their Manual drop at the same time as Cruisers get their AA ability. It would be a good compromise then just to remove it completely, which some people are demanding.

Sounds pretty reasonable. It would give the Ryuujou more purpose over the Zuihou in its current state. 

Beta Testers
12 posts
5,051 battles

Copy/paste from another topic asking to remove manual drops.

The long "reload time" that CV players need to deal with is the balance against losing the dispersion and RNG that other ships contend with. It takes a minimum of 35 seconds to reload a torpedo bomber unmodded and without captain skills. 10sec to land, 15sec to rearm, and 10sec to take off again. (The rearm can be reduced to 10sec with all available ship modifications and captain skills). Add to this travel time to target, positioning, locking in the attack, dodging enemy fighters, and returning to ship while avoiding enemy fighters and shipborne AA you have a 4-7 minute reload time.

How close would you get your battleship to your target if you had a 5 minute reload?

You're damn right I'm going to get my torpedo bombers as close to you as I can to make that 5 minute reload count.

Not to mention that those torpedo bombers are our only real armament and we lose them far faster and more often than a battleship would lose their primary gun batteries. I have to deal with fighters and AA shooting down my planes. If I lose them all, I might as well try to ram someone. Oh and Cthulhu help me if ANY ship spots the Carrier and starts taking shots. You think HE is bad for a battleship? Do me a favor, if you're ever on fire and your damage control team is down, just for fun, you're not allowed to fire your main guns. Secondaries only until the fire goes out, then you have to reload your main guns before you can fire again.

So no, I don't think manual drops need to be removed.

Also, manual drops are the only things that CV players get control over. We don't have any guns to aim. Take away manual drops and it's all point-and-click gameplay. From my experience, non-CV players can't really tell if they're being hit with a manual or an automatic drop anyway.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
542 posts
1,775 battles

Why not make the manual drop a T5 skill? That way most lower tiered CV's won't have that ability until T6+.

Beta Testers
256 posts
3,486 battles

What no one wants to consider, is that most people haven't started down the CV line, and are grinding out DD, BB, and CA. When I joined late CBT, EVERY game had 1 or two CV's on each team. The first week after the wipe, I saw 1 CV in about a dozen games. Now we are going on week3?, I see a game without and CV's about half of the time. As time goes on, there will be more and more CV's. Why does this matter? Because at entry level CV's, the biggest threat to you planes, are not ships, but other CV's and their fighter squads. And those will be in every game before you know it, because that is what CV players will have to run to win. Right now, they are shooting fish in a barrel from the low CV player count.

You cannot balance a game based off of less than 4 weeks of data. That is why they did the CBT, and balanced the way they did. The meta after 1 year, will be nothing compared to where it is now.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
542 posts
1,775 battles

Copy/paste from another topic asking to remove manual drops.

The long "reload time" that CV players need to deal with is the balance against losing the dispersion and RNG that other ships contend with. It takes a minimum of 35 seconds to reload a torpedo bomber unmodded and without captain skills. 10sec to land, 15sec to rearm, and 10sec to take off again. (The rearm can be reduced to 10sec with all available ship modifications and captain skills). Add to this travel time to target, positioning, locking in the attack, dodging enemy fighters, and returning to ship while avoiding enemy fighters and shipborne AA you have a 4-7 minute reload time.

How close would you get your battleship to your target if you had a 5 minute reload?

You're damn right I'm going to get my torpedo bombers as close to you as I can to make that 5 minute reload count.

Not to mention that those torpedo bombers are our only real armament and we lose them far faster and more often than a battleship would lose their primary gun batteries. I have to deal with fighters and AA shooting down my planes. If I lose them all, I might as well try to ram someone. Oh and Cthulhu help me if ANY ship spots the Carrier and starts taking shots. You think HE is bad for a battleship? Do me a favor, if you're ever on fire and your damage control team is down, just for fun, you're not allowed to fire your main guns. Secondaries only until the fire goes out, then you have to reload your main guns before you can fire again.

So no, I don't think manual drops need to be removed.

Also, manual drops are the only things that CV players get control over. We don't have any guns to aim. Take away manual drops and it's all point-and-click gameplay. From my experience, non-CV players can't really tell if they're being hit with a manual or an automatic drop anyway.

We testers have played these ships and know how to use them.... but let's look at the brand new player who gets into the Hosho or Langley.... point & click is probably all they can handle at first.

Banned
2,485 posts
977 battles

Why not make the manual drop a T5 skill? That way most lower tiered CV's won't have that ability until T6+.

Like tinstarshark mentioned? (Restricting it to T6 and above like cruiser AA ability). 

Actually, while we're at it why not give carriers the AA ability of cruisers too? It would help deter carrier bomber rushes in the first 5 minutes of a game.

• Cool 1

[TCS]
Members
45 posts
394 battles

Destroyer Torps are the Op not aircraft Torps, I have only once managed to get 3 runs off in a game with US ships, jap is different as they have more Sqns

Beta Testers
196 posts
575 battles

The manual drop is only a problem when the Cv has more than one TB squad. I used it in my Langley with the single TB squad and you know what? Good players who were paying attention got away unscathed or taking only 1 torp hit. It is pretty frustrating when you only have 1 squad of TB because the only time you get good hits is if the player is not paying attention, or is terrible. Double squadron drops though, even the best and most attentive players will be devastated by usually.

Beta Testers
12 posts
5,051 battles

We testers have played these ships and know how to use them.... but let's look at the brand new player who gets into the Hosho or Langley.... point & click is probably all they can handle at first.

Yet it's not the CV players complaining that they have too much to do and need to lighten the workload. The automatic drop is always there for new players to use should they not feeling up to using the manual drop.

Members
2,829 posts
6,653 battles

If there is no manual drop at that tier, I'm almost betting that the CVs will start an unspoken truce.  After all, if you can't kill the opponent CV in the first few moments, then it's better to ignore them and harrass the enemy by dropping torpedoes at clustered ships.
Edited by Misniso

Beta Testers
542 posts
1,775 battles

Like tinstarshark mentioned? (Restricting it to T6 and above like cruiser AA ability). 

Actually, while we're at it why not give carriers the AA ability of cruisers too? It would help deter carrier bomber rushes in the first 5 minutes of a game.

By making it a skill it would be easier to implement in to the game. Some players who use premium ships could get the skill on low tier CV's if they so desired.

AA is based off the actual AA on the ships, therefore pre WW2 ships will not have that much AA on them while 1944+ ships will have massive amounts of AA, like T9+ CV's.

Beta Testers
542 posts
1,775 battles

If there is no manual drop at that tier, I'm almost betting that the CVs will start an unspoken truce.  After all, if you can't kill the opponent CV in the first few moments, then it's better to ignore them and harrass the enemy by dropping torpedoes at clustered ships.

Allot of US CV's carry a bigger fighter load out and shoot down all the enemy's aircraft, leaving their CV only able to be a decoy or cap.

[DNGR]
Members
9 posts
1,610 battles

Unless a player either played the Closed Beta or has religiously watched the YouTube Naval Academy videos, it's likely they won't even discover manual drop (or that they can even modify the approach point of their bombers) until they get to T6, so this is likely happening already without being enforced by the game.

Beta Testers
852 posts
3 battles

Destroyer Torps are the Op not aircraft Torps, I have only once managed to get 3 runs off in a game with US ships, jap is different as they have more Sqns

DD torps are easy to dodge, if you get ambushed then it's your fault. Manual drop OTOH, are so close it is impossible to do anything, even worse at low tier because of weak AA. Hence this thread

Members
1,482 posts
2,386 battles

No do not take away manual in those tiers!  CVs are already kind of underpowered in a way.

For us CV users, it's pretty hard to make a good torpedo run especially against cruisers.  Plus in those tiers there is only 1 squadron of torpedo bombers and dive bombers do little damage, so I see nothing OP.

Members
1,482 posts
2,386 battles

Unless a player either played the Closed Beta or has religiously watched the YouTube Naval Academy videos, it's likely they won't even discover manual drop (or that they can even modify the approach point of their bombers) until they get to T6, so this is likely happening already without being enforced by the game.

LOL, not me once I got the Langley I figured out manual drop rather quickly.  Now I get 4 torpedoes into a ship most of the time.

However, you are right the vast majority still uses auto mode which is extremely easy to avoid.  Kinda torturous when you see your CV sister launch torpedoes against a cruiser that has landed ashore and ALL torpedoes MISS.

Edited by HBZK100

Beta Testers
104 posts
445 battles

I have been suggesting this since  early CBT. I do not understand why WG is not fixing the torpedo problem it is killing the game.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
890 posts
2,056 battles

It's broken as hell in the lower tiers.  you get two TB squads sent at you in the hands of a Cruiser captain that knows how to pull it off, you are basically given a choice...

1) Face the right hand TB's and die to the left ones

2) Face the left hand TB's and die to the right ones

Even if you have the AA to widen the spread, you're going to get hit.  And if that first bunch doesn't finish you off, he'll flit the remaining group you followed around.  He'll either make you chase them till the other group is reloaded and come back for you or he'll watch for you to give up then pounce.  Wouldn't happen in my AA Omaha... wouldn't happen in my Cleveland.  Just happens on my lower tier cruisers that HAVE NO AA TO DEFEND THEMSELVES.

GG.... except it's not.

Alpha Tester
1,997 posts
2,336 battles

Remove Manual Drop completely by disabling the alt key for CVs. To compensate, add an ability to grouped bombers to automatically execute hammer and anvil drops. 

Beta Testers
12 posts
5,051 battles

Remove Manual Drop completely by disabling the alt key for CVs. To compensate, add an ability to grouped bombers to automatically execute hammer and anvil drops. 

Good idea except for all the USN CVs that only get 1 TB squadron.

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,421 posts
2,511 battles

The idea with disabling it or reducing its effectiveness in low tiers is nothing to do with new players in either BB's or CV's. The problem comes much much later when seal clubbing becomes an issue. Most wont seal club in BB's due to bad accuracy reliant on RNG. However an entirely skill based mechanic such as CV manual drop will be grabbed up quickly by semi skilled players and used to incredibly good effectiveness against new players. This will cause people to be driven from the game in early tiers. It is a real problem and will only get worse.

[STNUC]
Members
90 posts
3,318 battles

whats the Deal with the independence Cv having Biplanes? In WW@ they had single wing aircraft's. The ship wasn't even commissioned until 1943 and by then they had single wings.