Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GoTelltheSpartans

Lion Class Battlecruiser

9 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
46 posts
443 battles

This Top pick is for everyone to read it's about a Class of Battlecruiser by the name of the Lion Class. The Lion Class or "The Splendid Cats" was a replacement Class for the aging "Indefatigable Class" it had a armourment of four 13.5 inch duel turrets, the Speed was upped to 3.7 km/h an the armour belt was increased to 9 inches at the waterline. the Indefatigable Class had only three 6 inch guns mounted in duel Turrets which was not able to surpass the New German Battlecruiser line "Moltke Class". There were Three Ships that were built from this class of Battlecruisers the first is the H.M.S Princess Royal, the second was H.M.S. Invincible, an the Third was H.M.S Inflexible which all served in the 1st Battlecruiser Squadron Under Rear Admiral Osmond Brock who's flagship was the H.M.S. Princess Royal which took a direct hit to the forward Magazine which caught fire during the Battle of Jutland in 1916. Rear Admiral Brock acted by Flooding the Magazine which caused the Forward B turret to be badly damaged an it had to be completely removed an rebuilt from Scratch at the Devonport Drydock after the Battle. The Lion Class Battlecruiser was the Class order by the Imperial Japanese Navy to build the IJN Kongo Battlecruiser later remodelled to IJN Kongo Battleship after the 1922 Washington Treaty.

Edited by Fog_Cruiser_Sheffield

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,461 posts
1,963 battles

The Splendid Cats is the name for the Lion class, plus Queen Mary and Tiger.

The speed was 27 knots, which is about 50 km/h, not 3.7.

The Indefatigables had four 12" twin turrets.

The Invincible and Inflexible were Invincible class battlecruisers, not Lion class.

It was Lion that had to have a turret replaced, and that was Q turret, not B turret.

The Lions were the inspiration for Kongos final design, but they weren't exact copies, a number of improvements were made, such as a the placement of Q turret.

• Cool 2

[KCWY1]
Members
112 posts
14,057 battles

Kongo didn't have a Q turret, or are you simply saying it was moved to the Y turret position?

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,461 posts
1,963 battles

Kongo didn't have a Q turret, or are you simply saying it was moved to the Y turret position?

I'm saying that Lion's Q turret was moved to X position in Kongou.

Question: what is Q-turret and Y-turret?

Q turret is the third position forward if there are positions aft or the first midship position.

e.g. the third turret on the Dido class is Q.

Y turret is the fifth turret on a Dido, i.e. its the 2nd position aft.

[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
10,456 battles

Q turret is an amidships turret, its position makes it unable to fire forward or aft. I always wondered as to why the hell the british where so insistent on putting that turret in the q position instead of the y position. definitely would have been more efficient that way.

[VRR]
Beta Testers
1,141 posts
3,878 battles

Q turret is an amidships turret, its position makes it unable to fire forward or aft. I always wondered as to why the hell the british where so insistent on putting that turret in the q position instead of the y position. definitely would have been more efficient that way.

I don't have my books to hand but IIRC it was due to the boiler layout.  It was far from ideal though.  The Lion Class BC's were handsome ships, but the Tiger..oh my the Tiger..gimme!  

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

The citadel on the Lions is going to be ghastly.

Alpha Tester
7,898 posts
27 battles

I don't have my books to hand but IIRC it was due to the boiler layout.  It was far from ideal though.  The Lion Class BC's were handsome ships, but the Tiger..oh my the Tiger..gimme!  

How is it related to the boiler layout? If anything that turret in the middle of the machinery space complicated the layout. I've tried to look for an explanation in Roberts' Battlecruisers and Burt's British Battleships of World War One, but with little success.

[VRR]
Beta Testers
1,141 posts
3,878 battles

How is it related to the boiler layout? If anything that turret in the middle of the machinery space complicated the layout. I've tried to look for an explanation in Roberts' Battlecruisers and Burt's British Battleships of World War One, but with little success.

I belive it was a design decision because it was felt that two superfiring turrets aft would make the screw and engine room be different or would incur some kind of weight penalty, so they went with the idea of the Q turret location which was less than ideal.

Sign in to follow this