You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

For anyone on the fence regarding Atago;

29 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,734 posts
26,570 battles

... Yeah. She is worth it.

2n9x6ax.jpg

1195ops.jpg

19sbhk.jpg 

2j4ougm.jpg

Shout out to the red team too, they fought like lions. Never a boring moment.

As for the Atago, yeah she's worth it. She's a very balanced cruiser.

+ Good speed, but~

- sluggish turning circle

+ Great and hard-hitting guns, but~

- Mediocre DPM because of ROF

+ Good torpedo arcs and range

- Mediocre AA

+ Decent armor for a cruiser~

- Provided you know how to angle against incoming fire

+ Stealthier than her cousins Myoko and Mogami

+ Better looking too

Keep at range at first, support your destroyers, keep the enemy's tin cans away from your fatties. During mid-game you can become more aggressive and bully fatties, swat tin cans and pummel cruisers. Choose your targets wisely, then disassemble them. If need be close in while keeping your guns speaking, then drop devastating torpedo spreads to crush slow fatties, soaking up a few hits with your hitpoints and armor. Keep your angles in mind, keep an eye the minmap; you have the speed to flex if needed. In late game you're just clean-up.

Others might have wiser words about how to play Atago, but that's how I play her and it seems to work, at least some of the time.

Takao was great fun during alpha, a beast in the right hands, and despite lacking the AA a fully upgraded Takao has in alpha, Atago lives up to the memories IMO.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,734 posts
26,570 battles

Note that she's completely unangled to your guns. Were she angled, those would've bounced off of her citadel and done minimum spalling damage at most. That's her player's fault - not the ship. No cruiser in this game will enjoy well-aimed AP fire into her unangled citadel. Also note that 'decent armor for a cruiser' means relative terms, not absolute terms.

I mean, I could post screenshots of me citadel'ing an unangled Iowa at close range, does that mean Iowa has bad armor?

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
5 posts
3,256 battles

I only got up to the Aoba before the wipe, how does it compare to that?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,734 posts
26,570 battles

Like you would expect a tier 8 premium to compare to a tier 6. It blows it out of the water in every way that matters, except AA.

Banned
3,836 posts

never count Atago out of a fight

even when team dies in record time.  2 Atagos together in a pack can take out so much

like take on a force of 3 Atagos, 1 warspite, and 2 farraguts.

and nearly win...

HULtPnZ.jpgX5sr3wR.jpg

ztnJmAj.jpgE3Nnn6g.jpg

Beta Testers
89 posts
101 battles

I only got up to the Aoba before the wipe, how does it compare to that?

How does a Humvee compare to a tank?

There is almost no comparison. The Aoba is a good ship but compared to the Atago, the Aoba is worthless. I know that sounds bad but the Aoba would not fair well in a standoff with an Atago. The only way the Aoba would come out on top is if the Aoba had an extraordinarily good captain and the Atago had an even more extraordinarily bad captain.

Banned
3,836 posts

There is almost no comparison. The Aoba is a good ship but compared to the Atago, the Aoba is worthless. I know that sounds bad but the Aoba would not fair well in a standoff with an Atago. The only way the Aoba would come out on top is if the Aoba had an extraordinarily good captain and the Atago had an even more extraordinarily bad captain.

or if Aoba gets a lucky torp spread

[OSNAV]
Alpha Tester
485 posts
11,484 battles

very good !!!!! in 6 months the wargaming reading these comments will shove the nerf hammer on this ship.: Cara de gozo:

Beta Testers
283 posts
1,757 battles

Yes please keep making posts like this drawing attention to it and then they will nerf it to hell.  :( 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,734 posts
26,570 battles

Silly players, believing forum posts have any influence on nerfing / buffing instead of the thousands of performance parameters they have direct access to from the servers themselves ....

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
5 posts
3,256 battles

Like you would expect a tier 8 premium to compare to a tier 6. It blows it out of the water in every way that matters, except AA.

Sorry, didn't clarify. I meant how does it compare in terms of playstyle and capability for it's tier.

Beta Testers
5 posts
1,368 battles

Sorry, didn't clarify. I meant how does it compare in terms of playstyle and capability for it's tier.

It is hard to tell since it is pretty much just fighting itself except for things like Atlanta and Warspite (now more ships now as people unlock them) but it feels very capable.

[QNA]
Beta Testers
116 posts
2,681 battles

I blame this thread alone for the inability for me to queue anything past t4 without getting 8+ Atago and getting farmed. :/

[OSNAV]
Alpha Tester
485 posts
11,484 battles

this is just a gimmick will soon have a nerf is a culture of wargaming break which is very good.: Pipoca:

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
307 posts
1,695 battles

I tried Atago out on the Public Test server and enjoyed every single moment I played.  The two things that really stuck with me were how good the guns and torps were.

Will definitely plan to one up for myself (may wait for a sale).

[_FOG_]
[_FOG_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
431 posts
2,706 battles

I REALLY want to get the Atago but the 10k gold price tag ........  sticker shock ......

[BWC]
Beta Testers
3,441 posts
9,987 battles

I would say it performs like a cruiser at her level will.  The Mogami is the normal Japanese cruiser at this level, and compared to the Atago, the Mogami has the flexibility of going with multiple triple-barrel fast ROF guns or switching to dual-barrel heavier-hitting but slower ROF guns similar to the Atago.  In addition the Mogami has torpedo bulges to reduce torpedo impacts.   In terms of the Aoba, you are looking at a heavier ship with heavier guns for a higher tier, so expect it to not perform as well in the maneuvering department, but to survive longer and hit harder.

The one thing I will say is that the Atago is good if the player is not intending to progress past T8 in the Japanese cruiser line and has some gold to burn.  If not, the Mogami is a better choice if the player wants a T8 and is going to progress further up the cruiser line past this point, though, as the player will be left with the Atago as a semi-extra ship that probably won't seem useful once the player has a kitted-out Mogami or higher ship.

Edited by Jakob_Knight