You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
rocketdrive

Is russian dev syndrome starting to effect american devs?

15 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
575 posts
1,651 battles

Slowly but surely the gaming industry here in america has hemorrhaged quality to the extent that a games development company was an actual competitor for the worst company in america. I question whether this is due to simply the development of the industry OR just capitalism being capitalism, and hence seeing russian "profits" and trying to emulate them at the expense of the consumer. Any thoughts?

I mean crapjust look at league of legends. Sure a game that has no place here but they have a similar "never criticize our mistakes" policy with forums, contradictory messages between PR releases and Developer release, as well as other examples. I'm sure there are other games that follow similar russian dev like practices but I'm not currently in the mood to list. 

Edited by rocketdrive
  • Cool 4

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
2,396 posts
24,529 battles

That is a broad paint stroke you are using OP for finger pointing. Game companies make mistakes just like any other business. It does not matter if the devs are in India, Russia, or Croatia. What makes the difference is how they (game company) corrects any problem affecting their customer base. A problem is an opportunity to shine for customers. I work with programmers and those guys literally kill themselves to death by not eating or sleeping in doing code. Its the code and nothing but the code with them. So be patient and don't expect everything to be instant for a resolution. Make the software company aware and wait for their response.

Edited by Tpaktop2_1
  • Cool 3

Beta Testers
221 posts
855 battles

That's being awfully critical....until yesterday I had seen no issues with the warships devs....and they at least had balls to say they made a mistake something I doubt very seriously the wot devs would do......plus you are getting the ship back it might not be everything but it's better than nothing in my opinion 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

That's being awfully critical....until yesterday I had seen no issues with the warships devs....and they at least had balls to say they made a mistake something I doubt very seriously the wot devs would do......plus you are getting the ship back it might not be everything but it's better than nothing in my opinion

He's trolling you.
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,313 posts
12,709 battles

Developers have over lords that wear suits and live or die looking at spread sheets with lots of pie charts with dollar signs on them. Developers themselves are usually fair minded gamers.

• Cool 1

Members
449 posts

Slowly but surely the gaming industry here in america has hemorrhaged quality to the extent that a games development company was an actual competitor for the worst company in america. I question whether this is due to simply the development of the industry OR just capitalism being capitalism, and hence seeing russian "profits" and trying to emulate them at the expense of the consumer. Any thoughts?

I mean crapjust look at league of legends. Sure a game that has no place here but they have a similar "never criticize our mistakes" policy with forums, contradictory messages between PR releases and Developer release, as well as other examples. I'm sure there are other games that follow similar russian dev like practices but I'm not currently in the mood to list. 

I think this should be expanded more into a European mindset syndrome as I have had significant problems with mostly European companies in contrast to American comparisons. For example, for a time I worked in the testing and anti-cheat realm of game design and was astonished when offered the services a European company turned it down flatly stating that money meant more to them than the purity of their game. This was circa 2002 and it really threw me for a loop during a time when games like the Quakes, Dooms, Counter-Strikes, even flight sim and racing games, were all swamped with cheats, exploits and game hacks. One of the companies will remain nameless but were based in Oslo, Norway. They went so far as to lay off their game oversight staff, what you could call game masters and those tasked with keeping cheats/exploits from taking hold in the game. It's really sad when money trumps honesty.

As far as League of Legends, never played the game but its reputation preceded it by years. LoL had arguably the worst player community in the world, to the point that the game developers finally had to call in medical and psychologist doctors as an intervention of sorts. And they also pulled off the high-profile banning of a professional player who had abused his welcome for far too long. I actually commend them for those actions. With respect to the other actions you speak of, I cannot pass judgement there. At times I think World of Tanks needs psychological intervention during battles when insults fly faster and farther than any tank shell. I can only hope this disease does not spread to World of Warships.

Beta Testers
782 posts
388 battles

Competitor?  EA won the title two years in a row.

http://consumerist.com/2012/04/04/congratulations-ea-you-are-the-worst-company-in-america-for-2012/

http://consumerist.com/2013/04/09/ea-makes-worst-company-in-america-history-wins-title-for-second-year-in-a-row/

In 2014 the CEO for EA stepped down and was replaced.  He didn't take the votes seriously.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,298 posts
6,911 battles

It was just one minor mistake and now people are acting like WG is the new EA...

Heck!  Maybe WG should just buff the Soviet Navy and give them Cold War-era ships with jet fighters just to see how the community will react :trollface:...

• Cool 1

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,322 posts

It was just one minor mistake and now people are acting like WG is the new EA...

Heck!  Maybe WG should just buff the Soviet Navy and give them Cold War-era ships with jet fighters just to see how the community will react :trollface:...

Ive been using WG products for 4 1/2 yrs...this IS NOT AN ISOLATED INCIDENT. They occure with a regularity that is s depressing.

[-VT-]
Alpha Tester
2,641 posts
14,049 battles

Slowly but surely the gaming industry here in america has hemorrhaged quality to the extent that a games development company was an actual competitor for the worst company in america. 

Games companies never have been the best places to work. Sure, they had nice perks, but the work schedule and deadlines were pure hell. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
575 posts
1,651 battles

implying they aren't already planning on doing that

Beta Testers
143 posts
457 battles

That is a broad paint stroke you are using OP for finger pointing. Game companies make mistakes just like any other business. It does not matter if the devs are in India, Russia, or Croatia. What makes the difference is how they (game company) corrects any problem affecting their customer base. A problem is an opportunity to shine for customers. I work with programmers and those guys literally kill themselves to death by not eating or sleeping in doing code. Its the code and nothing but the code with them. So be patient and don't expect everything to be instant for a resolution. Make the software company aware and wait for their response.

No, the reality is that Russian game developers in general have been very anti-consumer compared to developers in Western Europe and North America. Their business habits, modus operandi, and their past history attests to this.

You just need to look at Gaijin Entertainment and Wargaming to see the stark examples. Ratcheting up the grind is one such behavior that both companies have exhibited, in the misguided hope that they would be able to generate more revenue.

Well, the problem here is that the majority of these Free-to-Play game developers are not interested in player retention. That is to say, they don't care if you're a veteran player or not - if you leave the game, five new suckers who don't have a clue about the game will join, and open their wallets for a brief moment, and that's enough for them to profit.

Edited by NKato

Beta Testers
966 posts

I'm pretty sure if we take a historical standpoint, it was EA that started this crap, long before "Those damned commie russian devs" started anything. The Cold War ended btw even if Fox News says otherwise, we don't have to keep painting the Russians as the boogey men devoid of all morals, they're nice people for the most part due to being, well... People. Governments differ, people don't. :child:

No, the reality is that Russian game developers in general have been very anti-consumer compared to developers in Western Europe and North America. Their business habits, modus operandi, and their past history attests to this.

You just need to look at Gaijin Entertainment and Wargaming to see the stark examples. Ratcheting up the grind is one such behavior that both companies have exhibited, in the misguided hope that they would be able to generate more revenue.

Well, the problem here is that the majority of these Free-to-Play game developers are not interested in player retention. That is to say, they don't care if you're a veteran player or not - if you leave the game, five new suckers who don't have a clue about the game will join, and open their wallets for a brief moment, and that's enough for them to profit.

The majority of most F2P devs are not interested in long-term player retention, regardless of nationality, as they are usually modeled as cash grabs.

Can we have some examples of history or is this all a "gut feeling?" There are countless Korean MMOs that come and go, there is a whole basement flooded with the "on-off" indie MMO F2Ps (Like Dark Orbit) that follow your last paragraph.

The Russians hardly invented "bad customer service," as EA, AT&T, WB, Comcast, countless indies, and more paved the way. Steam has god-aweful customer service, may the heavens have mercy if anything goes wrong as an example.

Sure, there are a lot of crappy Russian companies, but it makes sense considering there are a lot of crappy companies period. I mean come on... EA people.... It practically invented regular scumbaggery and you can blame them for making companies realize certain methods, and there's a horde of other companies behind it that have done the same. The "Russian Boogymen" haven't invented jack squat or contaminated business practices when there are countless other companies that have been doing it long before them. Saying "Is russian dev syndrome starting to effect american devs?" especially doesn't make sense when the OP even lists Riot as trying to make an example despite it being a company based in the US, LA and has been around for a long time now (A decade). What do you mean "start?"

Have you been living in a fantasy land where only recently "American Devs" have begun acting shady?

This whole thread reeks of xenophobia, prejudice and ignorance, and that is simply disappointing.

Edited by Tears_of_Destiny

Beta Testers
305 posts

Some companies are better than others. Recently, I've been playing a pre-launch title called The Long Dark, produced by a small Canadian firm named Hinterlands. They're in constant communication with their fans on both the official and Steam forums, appear to take (well-reasoned) criticism seriously, and are just genuinely affable, frank, down-to-earth people by all accounts. I think with any success you're going to start to see a certain amount of detachment or aloofness bleed into even western gaming companies -- they become big, powerful, and believe that they are above the gamers. This is one of the reasons that WoW is tanking -- Blizzard just doesn't seem to know how to connect with their subscribers on an intimate level anymore. But, the good news is that other companies are definitely still trying to remain personable. So, no, I'm not really worried about some hellacious 'Russification' of western gaming. Our players expect and demand more from responsible development teams -- we aren't zombies like your average eastern European gamer.

[VVV]
Beta Testers
223 posts
1,916 battles

I'm pretty sure if we take a historical standpoint, it was EA that started this crap, long before "Those damned commie russian devs" started anything. The Cold War ended btw even if Fox News says otherwise,.......

Clearly you aren't paying attention to what is going on in U.S.-Russian relations lately. 

Beta Testers
169 posts
131 battles

hell eu forums get devs response all the time so where the heck is dev's in na, besides ARd.