You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Red_Raven_168

Introduction to Aiming

34 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
630 battles

Excellent guide!

That said, is there an aim compensation depending on your gun arc? I'm a big fan of the shooty-shooty American DD and their 'Rainbow' arcs, even in close range how much should I compensate by versus say, my Blyskawica which has a much flatter arc?

[WOLFC]
Members
1,296 posts
7,160 battles

You establish target lock by aiming directly at the ship for a couple seconds or by aiming at it and typing X.

Ha....2K + battles and I just saw this.  I am so still a newbie.

Anyways:

what does "aiming" mean?  Pointing with what?  The cursor?

In essence, I'm trying to figure out how to change targets when faced with multiple red ships in my screen and that are at a distance.

And, is it possible to change targets when ready to use torps?  

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

Break target lock with X. Point cursor at prefered target. Press X.

Target locks will only activate if the target is in range.

A target lock will not guide a barrage to the target.

A target lock will maintain the aim point with respect to the center of mass of the target. This is good for ranging shots if the target does not change course or speed, more the fool them. 

You can adjust the locked position with your mouse but too rapid or far a change breaks the lock. If the target exceeds the range it will break the lock. If the target goes behind something it will not break the lock.

Target locks for torpedoes are established the same way but you will see a grey trapezoid on the water. Line up the grey trapezoid with the green trapezoid of your torp firing arc.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,296 posts
7,160 battles

THANKS...

using 20K torps with an Asashio and although I'm getting better at guesstimating distances and speed sometimes I just want the lead assist to give me an idea.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

Generally speaking, the shorter the range you fire your torps at, the greater the chance of hitting your target. Torpedoes spread out as they travel and ships, smart ones, change course and speed.

Also there is less chance of hitting a team member.

Members
4 posts
219 battles

Great guide, for ships that have good enough main batt. guns. German BB's can't aim to save their life. Outside 10km, German Main Batt. guns are utterly useless.