Carrier_Furious

How to Carrier.

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

90 posts in this topic

First off thanks for the tips, I am new and this really helps. I did have one other question though. When battling other carriers of the same tier I have noticed they seem to be able to produce more but smaller squadrons. is this a function I have not found or simply because of their nation or mod selection? Thanks

IJN carriers carry smaller squadrons but more of them. Also it's a faster turnaround time because of that.

One thing to add I found by accident. the z key. If you're in map mode and you press it the scene reverts to a screen you see in other ships. If you hit 1 key, it shows the carrier. Use this for carrier maneuvering.

How do you enlarge the sights like they do in the tutorials? Also when I do the manual targeting, it shows me a large cone narrowing toward the ship, which is the opposite they show in the tutorial plus it is really, really small. I am in M mode. If I click off M mode then it just shows me the area around my ship and I can not go to where my planes are. Need to have a tutorial that starts off at square 1 for the newbies cause it is so different than driving the other ships. So showing us newbies how to change the views for the planes is essential.

Thanks!!!

Just played my first carrier game in months, coming back controls have changed and my planes get locked when attaching to each other or a ship. It will not let me unattach or give commands to my squadrons and ruins my game. Who the hell thought this was a good idea and how do you unlock them?

Question, whats controls you have to push in order to bring the CV back into ground view, still learning the ropes in CV training. 

Carrier Plan View

post-1002276027-0-25715700-1434375286.jp

The Plan view for carriers is a top down view that can be zoomed and panned around the map. It is the default view for carriers.  Note the grey rectangle on the minimap depicting the current field of view. You can also see the current waypoints and the attack setup for the selected flight.  Once you have chosen the target for the flight with the Left Mouse Button [LMB] you can grab the attack vector indicator on the circle and drag it to any bearing you desire.  Torpedo bombers usually do better with a flank attack while dive bombers do better attackng down the axis of the ship; or so I have been told. Note the attack plan is shown in the minimap as well.

Center View on Carrier

post-1002276027-0-09244500-1434375317.jp

The control section identifies this as "Bring View Back to Ship". It is the last selection in the controls settings menu. Many patches ago all ships could press shift and pan a top down view anywhere on the map and spin the camera in any direction.  That has gone away for all classes but carriers.  Still, for carriers is is very handy to be able to center the top down view on their ship in order to navigate the vessel or see what is threatening them.  Pressing [space] brings the view back to the carrier.

For other view techniques have a look at View Basics.

The other option for ship maneuvering:

1. Go to map mode

2. Hit "1" for the carrier

3. Press "z"

It gives you what would be normal view for other ships. I agree it's clunky. But useful if you will have to ram someone.

Howdy....great tutorial on carriers. I just started playing them, and I am getting the hang pretty well except for one thing. I cannot do manual anything. I can't do strafing, and I can't do manual torpedo drops. I unchecked the Alternative Controls feature with no luck. (The only difference seems to be which mouse button you click.)

I checked the Warships wiki on the main game site, and it tells you all about the Alt key. I've tried holding down Alt and clicking and clicking-dragging on just about anything in sight. I'm also wondering if it has to do with the current version, 0.6.3.

So what else should I be checking or trying? 

Thanks!

Well, as seems to happen all the time, I found an answer to my previous question. Indeed, manual targeting was removed from T4 and T5 carriers in the latest release. 

What a great job he did putting this together.  I wish the training videos were like this.  A basic, intermediate and advanced video for carriers.  That's what is REALLY needed.  I do dis-agree with you on one thing.  You say not to manual drop torps on destroyers.  It should read; do not attempt to manual drop torps on destroyers until you get good at manual drops.  A good captain has the confidence to do a manual drop on dd's and most times will get the kill.  Also....you can add one thing....a manual drop into smoke when you know there is a ship or ships in the smoke usually results in torp hits.  Bottom line is....you have to learn the skills of manual dropping, including cross drops.  That includes with dive bombers as you will hit 3 or 4 bombs on a manual drop compared to one or two with auto drop, sometimes none on a auto drop.   I recommend using co-op to practice manual drops until you get the hang of it.  The dive bomber manual drops are a ton harder to master than the manual torp drops(my opinion).  Additionally, conducting manual torp drops at an angle (stern to bow angle...maybe 45 degrees or less) increases multiple torp hits because most peeps turn into the torpedos to try to avoid them.  With the angle they turn right into 3 of them, sometimes 4 of them.  (something I learned from the great fem...and something that is easier said than done as I am still playing with this).   Finally, if you want to see a real pro at work with a carrier, go over to twitch and watch fem when she is on....usually 10:30 am to 4  pm monday through Friday  (pacific time I think).  You will certainly see some amazing things watching her play a jap cv.  She is also one of a few cv captains on here that can actually carry a team to victory in a cv, even when behind in score or ships.  She is also working on some videos for youtube.  Thanks again for your write up....well done.

The other option for ship maneuvering:

1. Go to map mode

2. Hit "1" for the carrier

3. Press "z"

It gives you what would be normal view for other ships. I agree it's clunky. But useful if you will have to ram someone.

...or dodge incoming torpedoes.

Overall a decent basic guide. Where i find all CV guides lacking is the explanation of the actual manual torp attacks. Everyone just mentions pressing the ALT key to attack. There is more to this than is actually explained here.

Good guide. Just need to know when to manual drop, as that isn't really easy.

Glad to see the guide. 

Some things I do to help win:

1. Torping DDs: autodrop from behind and at a slight angle. 8/10 times you hit them with 1, 1/10 they turn broadside on and take 2-3 and give you a detonation medal and the final time they stick between torps and have to stay direction locked for a few seconds, taking them out of play for a bit or even opening them for kill-shots from your team. If I can nick 1 DD with my first try, we usually win.
  2. Priority targeting with DBs: as a good CV player, you should know whats happening to every ship, all the time*. Use the match timer to count down 30s after you catch someone using damage control to burn him with an extra 10k in damage. I ranked up my USN line with this alone, thank you WG for hating USN CVs for this tip.
    1. *know you ship class: IJN is using fire, other ships use fire if at a bad angle. look for the enemy close and angled against your team as the sign they're being set ablaze. 
  3. Don't doom-drop: I know I know, all the best CV players max their torp squad count and doom-drop from the side. That's [edited] no-skill play. It will win you matches though, so dont hate the player. To counter this, I try to be patient and see if my opponent is doing this. If I catch you grouping plans, I will strafe you right as you're going in to attack. You can't redirect your squads and I kill all your planes before they can drop. You can't see my fighters as I'm starting the strafe from off your screen. I will win, you will lose. So far in Ranked S7 I've had 3 CVs rage-quit after losing all their planes. Makes me happy. 
  4. CV+DD=win 99%. Fly your planes near your DDs. They will yell about being exposed so kill those planes first. They will never do what you think they will but if you can catch one launching torps you know their target will turn with means you have an easy target to kill. This is the game-changing opportunity you want to find and position your torps to take advantage of. 
  5. Distance torping. I get my planes eaten at higher tiers, so developed a way to drop from further off and reliably hit. 
    1. auto-target a BB, preferable with another ship behind him.
    2. drag your manual drop, from the same angle of attack, 45 deg away from the ship until you're at max range
    3. Manual drop here. most of the time you get a positive result. Some of the time you miss terribly but you keep all your torp planes.