You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Quaffer

Weapon Bearing (Shift-X) (Ctrl-X) (X)

6 comments in this topic

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

shift_x.jpg.e0e4f66c61eebd8d3452155e6f47a94b.jpg

[shift][X] gives you an ARMAMENT: LOCKED ON SECTOR message. All of your guns will train on the point of the map your cursor was pointing at when you press [shift][X].

ctrl_x.jpg.f6ab5e1e6f9284df8dac259f04afa86f.jpg

[Ctrl][X] gives you an ARMAMENT: WEAPONS FIXED ON A RELATIVE BEARING message. All of your guns will train on the point relative to your ship that your cursor was pointed at when you press [Ctrl][X].  This ignores changes in your course and speed.  If your cursor was pointed at a position at 2 o'clock five kilometers from your ship all of your turrets will turn to point at 2 o'clock five kilometers from your ship regardless of changes in your position or heading.

target_lock.jpg.4cac585e0d154293f6717d0bbd86a0ba.jpg

The [X] key as it is currently defined will establish or break a target lock on guns or establish a target lead wedge for torpedoes.

Target locks are initialized by the game when your cursor stays in the vicinity of an enemy for a moment and on the first enemy that comes in range. The enemy must be in range to establish a lock and if they go out of range you will lose the lock. I don't know the time required, probably a second or two.  Once a target lock is in place the guns will remain trained on the point on the map relative to the targets location.  So if you move your mouse to 0.5km West by South of your enemy the guns will train on the location 0.5km West by South of your enemy until you move your mouse. This helps you lead your target.  Just don't forget to correct when the target changes course or speed.

You may also enjoy:

Navigation Basics

View Basics

Gunnery Basics

Torpedo Basics

Turret Focus

Help Screens

List of Mouse and Keyboard Commands

So you want to buy a new ship

Maps found in Random Battles

• Cool 11

[FYYFF]
Members
646 posts
13,845 battles

I've been using the Ctrl-X a lot to place guns in a relative position.   Useful for ships with slow moving turrets so I can pre-position the turrets on one side of the ship, and then swing the ship around as I get closer.

While there is an indicator that the guns are locked when you do this, the indicator eventually goes away.    So sometimes I get into this situation where I forget the guns are locked, but I move the reticle over a target and it lights up green... I fire.... and the shells go flying some totally other direction.

I'd like a better indication or not have the guns light up green when they're pointed some other direction from the reticle.   Am I missing something here?

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
On 8/12/2015 at 4:50 PM, A_Sitting_Duck said:

I've been using the Ctrl-X a lot to place guns in a relative position.   Useful for ships with slow moving turrets so I can pre-position the turrets on one side of the ship, and then swing the ship around as I get closer.

While there is an indicator that the guns are locked when you do this, the indicator eventually goes away.    So sometimes I get into this situation where I forget the guns are locked, but I move the reticle over a target and it lights up green... I fire.... and the shells go flying some totally other direction.

I'd like a better indication or not have the guns light up green when they're pointed some other direction from the reticle.   Am I missing something here?

Just out of curiosity, why not simply use Free Look? Place your reticule where you want your guns to aim to, turn on Free Look, then while you're looking around or maneuvering your guns will continue to traverse to where you wanted them. When you disengage Free Look, your view snaps back on target. Handy for moving your guns to starboard, while you need to watch Port side.

[Ctrl]-X is useful for firing at a stationary target (fort, ship beached that may disappear from view), but for all other cases using Free Look may be a better choice.

• Cool 1

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

Shift X is better for locking guns on a stationary target. The guns will try to aim at it regardless of your ships movements.

I only use Ctrl X to get the guns pointing toward where I expect the enemy to be as I look somewhere else, such as a pesky rock or too amorous team mate.

I use free look a lot as well. The danger of free look is it's easy to become disoriented when you snap back.

Bottom line. Know what's available and use what works best for you.

• Cool 2

[WOLF6]
Members
1 post
692 battles

Is there any way to lock only the fore guns, or only the aft guns? Or to cause only one or the other to traverse? I'm thinking especially of Japanese battleships, where the big guns are in a fore/aft arrangement.

If I have an enemy to starboard and fire all guns, and then plan to steer to port to come around, my fore guns will lose the ability to aim at my target, while my aft guns can continue to fire. That's fine.

But since I know I'm going to keep steering to port until the ship comes around 120 degrees, I know the fore guns will eventually be able to see the target again, but now firing to port, not to starboard. If I know this is going to happen, I'd like to get them traversing while I keep firing with the aft guns.

I can't seem to do this. If I free-look to the front and aim at some point ahead of the ship, the fore guns will start to traverse forward, but as soon as I go to aim the aft guns at the enemy, the fore guns will traverse back to starboard. I can't get them traversing to port.

The result is that the fore guns won't start their long traverse until I pretty much complete my 120 degree turn. This is frustrating, because I know where I'll want them to be long ahead of time.

Any suggestions?

Members
31 posts
640 battles
On 7/3/2019 at 6:40 AM, Fool_Ahead said:

Is there any way to lock only the fore guns, or only the aft guns? Or to cause only one or the other to traverse? I'm thinking especially of Japanese battleships, where the big guns are in a fore/aft arrangement.
The result is that the fore guns won't start their long traverse until I pretty much complete my 120 degree turn. This is frustrating, because I know where I'll want them to be long ahead of time.

Any suggestions?

Anyone?  I would definitely like the ability to have the non-firing guns traversing through a turn rather than stuck in the end-stop for the majority of the turn.