Quaffer

Torpedo Basics

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

47 posts in this topic

i was looking for a guide found this. had NO IDEA bout that grey ark and what it meant, or even noticed it.

jumped into a game.

fired a set of torps at an enemy just shy of 10km out  killled it

tried it again. target hit again 10km out.

ty so much LOL

i'll read the rest between battles :D

great psot.

Very enlightening and definitive guide for inquiring minds...a well thought out and presented job both verbally and visually...kudos to you  +1  :honoring:

Edited by A__CHIMO__A

Just one really good tip,

If you're squaring off against another destroyer (this happens often at the beginning of the match) and he pops his smoke and doesn't leave it, go ahead and spam torpedoes into the smoke, and then back off.  It's likely you will get a hit for many reasons.  Firstly the DD in question is moving slow and not leaving his small cloud anytime soon.  Secondly he likely cannot see you and definitely won't see your torpedoes coming to dodge effectively.  Thirdly the DD is not going to give chase, he popped smoke so he's in a defensive mindset, he won't leave it for fear of your friends lighting him up.

I've sunk many USA and more recently USSR DDs this way, as they tend to pop smoke and stick around.  They also tend to turn broadside in the smoke to shoot at you or your allies behind you, giving you a larger chance to hit.  For most DDs you really only need one hit.

If I shoot off half my torps without using the remainder of the load, how to I reload the empty tubes without shooting off the remainder?

Or does each tube-set reload automatically anyway?

If I shoot off half my torps without using the remainder of the load, how to I reload the empty tubes without shooting off the remainder?

Or does each tube-set reload automatically anyway?

Each tube set reloads automatically.

How do you view torpedoes after they have launched? I have seen this on multiple youtube videos where the youtuber viewed the torpedoes in the water speeding towards the ship. Is this a thing you can only do in replay or is there a button for it?

Press the Z key once they are launched. press it again to come back to the ship view.

Press the C key to change torp camera

Same with artillery shells

Care:  If you stay zoomed in on the torps you can forget what is happening around the ship to your own detriment

Loved reading this guide.  Too bad lead indicator has been removed.  Might want to add something at the top to indicate that.

Sounds more like you switched to torpedoes without a target lock.  You only see a lead indicator when you are locked on a target to lead.

You can lock on a target from the torpedo screen with [Ctrl] X, but you must be within the range of the torpedoes or the lock won't take and you won't get a lead indicator.  Guns won't lock if they are out of range either.

Thanks for this guide for I'm just now trying to use torpedoes in battle with limited success in a US cruiser.  I would like to confirm, that though you "lock" on a target doesn't imply the torpedo will adjust course to the target.

Each torpedo will go in a straight line from the moment you launch it.  There are no seekers in the game, unless you consider aircraft flights to be individual weapons.  By the way; the torpedoes from torpedo bombers travel in straight lines as well.

+1, excellent, just re-read it after several months of playing and it all still holds. great guide, beats learning it all the hard way.

Thanks for this guide for I'm just now trying to use torpedoes in battle with limited success in a US cruiser.  I would like to confirm, that though you "lock" on a target doesn't imply the torpedo will adjust course to the target.

The lock will move the aiming guide to match the target motion, but WILL NOT aim the torps for you. You do that with the green wedge using the grey for a GUIDE, not gospel, since the target can make changes. Once you fire, the torps are on their own.

I am new the this game and having problems with playing destroyers and using torps.  Last night I had a problem with the grey bar lining up with enemy ships I didn't want to torp.  By reading your post I found my answer to this dilemma:  The "X" key!    Thanks for the help Quaffer.  Saved me the indignity of having to ask the question, and being derided for it, by not going through my keyboard shortcut menu before playing.  

:)