You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Quaffer

View Basics

13 comments in this topic

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

While most players will find the views intuitive to use there a few subtleties I hope to show here.
Characters enclosed in [brackets] represent keystrokes based on default settings. Most of them can be customized in the Settings, Controls section.

Standard View

post-1002276027-0-81078200-1434564218.jp

Note the grey arc on the minimap.  This indicates your current field of view.

Zoomed View

post-1002276027-0-39584200-1434375119.jp

Pressing the [shift] key toggles between the current zoom setting and the standard view.  You can adjust the amount of zoom by scrolling the mouse wheel.

Lofted Zoom View

post-1002276027-0-13665800-1434375133.jp

When you are zoomed to the full extent you can slide your mouse forward and your point of view will raise up letting you peek over low islands.

Minimap details

post-1002276027-0-49561400-1434564234.jp

Overview Mode

There is a tendency in combat to stay in zoomed view.  This can result in a loss of situational awareness.  The minimap can keep you up to date but there is no substitute for putting down the binoculars and having a quick look around. Press and hold [RMB], right mouse button, and you will be in a standard view which you can swing about with your mouse and have a quick look around.  In overview your guns will not track your cursor so you will not lose your target lock. You should do this often.

Quick Zoom Artist

When in zoomed mode your sight bearing changes very slowly. For a quick change in your zoomed view press [shift] to get back in standard view, look where you want to look and press shift again to go back to zoomed mode.  Note that it may take a while for your guns to catch up with your view point.  Unless you are in overview or you have fixed your guns on a sector,  (see Weapon Bearing (Shift-X) (Ctrl-X) (X)) your weapons will always try to train on your view point.

Tactical Map

post-1002276027-0-30562000-1434375155.jp

Pressing [M] brings up your tactical map.  This is a view of your minimap that fills the whole screen. Clicking on the tactical map will set a way point. Shift clicking will set more.  You can have five in total. Holding down [Ctrl] will allow you to grab and adjust a way point position. (Thank Sotaudi for this tip.) The tactical map will show you the locations of all the ships and aircraft on your team and the locations of known enemy units. Press [M] again to cancel.

post-1002276027-0-84363200-1434375328.jp

The tactical map will not only show friendly and enemy units, it will also show torpedoes.  Note the red icons in 7C trying to pick on that poor little South Carolina.

Standard Navigation View

post-1002276027-0-56673600-1434375179.jp

Standard Navigation View for a carrier is toggled with the [shift] key. Note the way points show up in this view as well.

Not only do the waypoints show up in this view but you can adjust them there as well.  Don't like how close the line representing your route is coming to that island on the right?  Press CTRL, and you can grab a visible waypoint and move it without having to go to the Map view to adjust it.

All way points will be cancelled by manually changing your heading with the rudder. They used to be cancelled when you changed your speed but this feature has been removed.

Cinematic Shoot

post-1002276027-0-99965400-1434375191.jp

Pressing the Middle Mouse Button [MMB] will fire one turret or torpedo mount and the camera will follow the shells or torpedoes until they stop.  Some people like to use this to help aim but I find the normal zoom modes for shells more useful and there is no point when using torpedoes as you can't really correct your aim for the next spread. They are just too slow.

Tracking Camera View Shells

post-1002276027-0-49907700-1434375214.jp

Tracking Camera View Torpedoes

post-1002276027-0-79605900-1434375227.jp

Tracking Camera View Planes

post-1002276027-0-85973500-1434375242.jp

If you have fired your guns or a spread of torpedoes or if you have a flight of planes selected you can switch to a camera view that will track their progress at any time. Use the [Z] key to track an object and the [Z] key to resume your normal view.

Note the yellow border and the fire icon at the bottom of the last two screen shots.  Coincidence? I don't think so.  The things I do for my art.  :D

Edited by Quaffer
  • Cool 5

6,051 posts

Carrier Plan View

post-1002276027-0-25715700-1434375286.jp

The Plan view for carriers is a top down view that can be zoomed and panned around the map. It is the default view for carriers.  Note the grey rectangle on the minimap depicting the current field of view. You can also see the current waypoints and the attack setup for the selected flight.  Once you have chosen the target for the flight with the Left Mouse Button [LMB] you can grab the attack vector indicator on the circle and drag it to any bearing you desire.  Torpedo bombers usually do better with a flank attack while dive bombers do better attackng down the axis of the ship; or so I have been told. Note the attack plan is shown in the minimap as well.

Center View on Carrier

post-1002276027-0-09244500-1434375317.jp

The control section identifies this as "Bring View Back to Ship". It is the last selection in the controls settings menu. Many patches ago all ships could press shift and pan a top down view anywhere on the map and spin the camera in any direction.  That has gone away for all classes but carriers.  Still, for carriers is is very handy to be able to center the top down view on their ship in order to navigate the vessel or see what is threatening them.  Pressing [space] brings the view back to the carrier.

Standard Zoom

post-1002276027-0-80128600-1434375349.jp

ALT View Zoom

post-1002276027-0-79000300-1434375359.jp

When [Alt] is not pressed you will see red icons above enemy ships and green icons above your team mates.  Ships within range will show the distance to the ship in kilometers.

When [Alt] is pressed you will see the Name of the ship, the icon, the name of the player, the hitpoints remaining and the initial hitpoints and the range.  If you look at the cursor you will see the travel time for your selected weapon and the distance to the cursor.  If the distance to the cursor is red your cursor is pointed at a location that is out of range. If you've forgotten the range of the weapon you can push your mouse up and down until it alternates between green and red and you can discover it. 

If you want the ALT information all of the time you can hold down [ALT] while you press [NumPad ENTER] and it will stay up.  Press an [Enter] key again because pressing [NumPad ENTER] also opens a chat window and the game will interpret your next key strokes as chat until you cancel the chat command wth an [Enter] key.

The Alt view can be permanently enabled by going to the settings menu, selecting the controls tab and selecting the check box labeled Alternative Battle Interface Mode. This is located just to the left and above the OK button. If you select this in settings you will mot be able to turn it off with the [Alt] key in game.

Torpedoes Aiming

post-1002276027-0-81877200-1431189814.jp

This view is only available for ships that are armed with torpedoes. For more Torpedo related views please read the Torpedo Basics guide.

TAB

post-1002276027-0-42466600-1434375373.jp

Pressing TAB brings up the list of players on each team showing their full name.  The team roster which you can select to display in settings will only show the first six characters.  You also see the ship, the tier, the kills, and the division information as well as who has sunk and who is afloat.  It can be very helpful to know who is playing what.

Quick Camera View

The quick camera view is assigned to [V]. From the command name "CMD_AHEAD_CAMERA" it should provide a view ahead of your ship. This would be useful for collision warnings. I fear it has never worked for me. I have tried activating it from the views I am aware of and have failed to perceive a difference.

Edited by Quaffer
  • Cool 2

6,051 posts

There are several settings for camera that can be found under Settings Controls Camera.  These can be enabled or disabled with a check mark.

Weapon groups camera
While zooming camera in/out

Automatically switch the camera between the main battery guns
You can also use [C] to manually switch between main battery groups.

Pressing [C] will shift the view point from the top of one turret to the next.

Limit camera view angles on torpedo tubes.

Track the selected target

Restore the latest position when exiting overview mode
 Overview- [RMB]

Zoom limit indicator

Enable camera feedback when damage is taken

There are several things you can do on this page:

You can set the sensitivity for your mouse x, y, Mouse Wheel.

You can turn off the collision avoidance, this is the pesky system that seems to steer you into things rather than avoiding things.

You can rotate the minimap. When you select rotate, the minimap will turn so that if you are heading more West than North or South the West end of the minimap is up, etc.  If you are working with a team that prefers to give directions using cardinal directions "Head to the East side and take the strait", vs grid coordinated "Head to E9..." turning off the map rotation may serve you well.

You can choose whether or not to display team panels on your GUI (Graphic User Interface).

Speaking of the GUI.  If you want to make a fancy screenshot, suitable for wallpaper, of your screen, you can turn off all of those pesky icons so you just see the pretty picture.  Press [Ctrl][G] at the same time to toggle your GUI.  Screenshots are stored in the Screenshot directory under the directory where the game is installed. Take a screenshot at any time by pressing the [Print Screen] key.

post-1002276027-0-21445200-1434500069.jp

You may also enjoy:

Navigation Basics

Gunnery Basics

Torpedo Basics

Turret Focus

Weapon Bearing (Shift-X) (Ctrl-X) (X)

Help Screens

List of Mouse and Keyboard Commands

So you want to buy a new ship

Maps found in Random Battles

Sans gui.jpg

• Cool 6

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,876 battles

Standard Navigation View for a carrier is toggled with the [shift] key. Note the way points show up in this view as well. All way points will be cancelled by manually changing your heading with the rudder. They used to be cancelled when you changed your speed but this feature has been removed

You don't mention this, so I thought I would add it.  Not only do the waypoints show up in this view but you can adjust them there as well.  Don't like how close the line representing your route is coming to that island on the right?  Press CTRL, and you can grab a visible waypoint and move it without having to go to the Map view to adjust it.

• Cool 1

6,051 posts

Not only do the waypoints show up in this view but you can adjust them there as well.  Don't like how close the line representing your route is coming to that island on the right?  Press CTRL, and you can grab a visible waypoint and move it without having to go to the Map view to adjust it.

Thanks Sotaudi,  I'll update Navigation Basics too.  I'll never be too old to learn something new.

Members
130 posts
13,786 battles

This was very helpful - I know I'm lingering on certain views for too long at times (zoom, of course) and it's good to know there's a way to keep out of trouble while zooming.

I've seen (in several Youtube videos) a way to switch to a view from your observation plane, and supposedly that also increases your range - but nowhere have I seen the command to switch to that view.  Is it still an option at this point or was it 'retired'?

6,051 posts

You may need to have control of them like we used to have. If you can do it, it would be through the track object camera.  That's defaulted to the [Z] key.

Members
4 posts
5,168 battles

This is nice, but what about the little numbered white lines in the middle of the Gun HUD?  None of the guides I've found bother to explain what it is or how it works.

6,051 posts

In the old days, military binoculars had a fixed field of view; or if you prefer, no zoom. They had range markers (your white lines) in the focal plane.  Skilled observers could look at how many markers something of a known length would cover (such as a tank, or a truck, or a train car) and be able to estimate the range. My dad owned a set of German binoculars that had them.  He was an instructor in the field artillery during WWII. The markers on his were black and only showed up in one of the eye pieces.

The markers on the screen can be used to assist you in estimating the required lead.  You will find that the markers cover the same field of view regardless of your zoom level so you can't use them to estimate range.  The GUI will do that for you with the ALT View Zoom.  If you do not adjust your zoom level (Hint: [shift] toggles from the latest zoom level to Standard View, so use Shift instead of the mouse wheel when targeting), and you have your target locked, (see Gunnery Basics), you can count how many markers are between where your shells hit and where you wanted them to hit and adjust the next volley accordingly. e.g. If the shells fall three markers to the right of where you wanted and a little down you adjust your aim three markers to the left and a little up.There are gun sights in the mods section that number the markers, and some that change the colors of the markers to take some of the work out of it.

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
555 posts

wow didnt even know about this forum guide!

wargaming please put better search options in forum so we can find gems like these

thanks OP this had alot of stuff i didnt know and alot of things i had forgotten

[TDY]
Members
2 posts
5,977 battles
On 6/15/2015 at 12:10 PM, Quaffer said:

Zoom limit indicator

what is this and how do you use it?? thx