Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
EnclaveZ182

IJN CV's currently unplayable

51 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
367 posts
401 battles

Just wanted to get some opinions on how IJN CV's fit in with match maker and against USN CV's. Gotta say I do not like having fewer planes per flight, don't care if I get more flights. American CV's so far are just loading up with fighters and I'm loosing almost all my planes in the first 3 minutes or they just park the fighters by my CV so I can't launch till they run out of fuel and need to turn back. I was in a match as a Zuiho with a Hosho on my team with a Bogue and a Hosho on the other team. Bogue kept 2 fighters and Hosho had 1. That is 16 fighters vs our 4 (I was stock our hosho had 3 TP) Match ended up with the 4 carriers as the only thing left and ended in a draw. Honestly what they should do as far as flights is have 4 in a fighter squad, 5 in a dive bomber squad, and 6 in a torpedo squad, regardless of nation. Torps need a wide spread to make hitting easier, bombers will get a good splash range with 5, and fighters can harass and widdle down attack groups without completely destroying them in 5 seconds. That way you are reducing combat effectiveness of that attack run but not removing a CV's usefulness in the first 3 minutes. I dunno what do you guys think of this and share some of your own ideas as to how we can balance this out more.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
586 posts
1,001 battles

Most people have complained the IJN is to powerful.  The problem is the load out of planes at the start, it was suggested by someone else that carriers should have all planes available and not be able to skew one way or the other at the start but they can only have 3 squadrons (depending on tier of course) airborne at some time.  To switch to another variety would take significantly longer leaving the team vulnerable as you convert to a different load out.  This would simulate somewhat the complexities of what carrier commanders faced as they desperately sought out the enemy fleet and then would attempt to launch the attack planes needed depending on the situation.

Beta Testers
367 posts
401 battles

It's beta and a work in progress but I feel like giving one side fewer planes per squad and focusing more on tb's and db's while one nation has more per squad and more fighters just doesn't balance out.

Beta Testers
3,072 posts
1,908 battles

At this point in 3.1 USN CV can't do any real damage so fighters is their only option. IJN CV can't stop US fighters so they go high damage to try and get some exp before they are out of planes, then when the IJN CV is out the US Cv becomes useless. It's how they balanced things here. I think they should revert the CV back to how they were in 3.0 and start again. maybe give IJN CV double the squads that the US CV have.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
367 posts
401 battles

I think what I said before about # of planes per squad would work. IJN carry more planes so fine they get more squads.

Alpha Tester
1,472 posts
1,030 battles

Once players get to higher tiers, and mod the CVs to have insane reload speeds, captain perks (particularly the add plane to squadron skill) it can churn out TBs and DBs very quickly like a bees hive >.<

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
367 posts
401 battles

I haven't hit the high tiers yet but that cannot be an excuse. Lower tiers should not suck this bad just to have higher tiers work. I love taking out my USN CV right now with extra fighters. Yeah I may not have much attack potential but my allies are lasting longer.

Alpha Tester
23 posts
95 battles

No fun playing CV and it will not be for new people either. It was great as it was. Now the US CV only fun option is to use only fighters and then both teams carriers can just float around after all planes destroyed. Fighters can not attack ships and using bombers only gets them all killed because they have no fighter support. It was perfect the way it was. I have never played a match where a CV got more than 3 kills. And that was once, usually they get zero. The fun of the CV was in trying to get a ship and protecting your bombers from other fighters with your fighters. All the CV do now is supply planes for fighters to kill because fighters are way faster than bombers. Just get rid of the CV if you all are going to listen to cry babies that have never played the game; have played but never turn their ship when they are under attack; and those who have never played a CV. I have played the CV a few times and I have been lucky to land at least one torp a few times and in one match I landed 3 or 4 torps on some guy who ran his ship aground not knowing what he was doing but still crying that CV is to strong and I did not even sink his ship.

Beta Testers
586 posts
1,001 battles

I think more squadron vs. bigger squadrons balances out very nicely in fact.  More squadrons gives you greater tactical flexibility whereas bigger squadrons gives you more combat power at one point.

Beta Testers
367 posts
401 battles

Just had another draw in my USN CV, why? Well let's see I went fighters but hey guess what the other cv's were also Americans with fighters so woo. Oh and our BB hid in the spawn and sacrificed me to an approaching heavy. His excuse? "Der this ship is so bad lul I dunno what to do." How about now freaking playing it then. Seriously CV's cant do crap, BB's won't do crap, CA's can barely hurt BB's now and DD's are finding it harder and harder to land torps. I have had more draws in this one week since the patch dropped than I have before. I'm averaging about 3 a night and when I only run maybe 10 battles that is pretty crap.

Beta Testers
367 posts
401 battles

I think more squadron vs. bigger squadrons balances out very nicely in fact.  More squadrons gives you greater tactical flexibility whereas bigger squadrons gives you more combat power at one point.

His 6 fighters chewed through my 3 torp squads in less than 30 seconds. I sent my squad of 4 fighters at him while we were above friendly ships who was shooting aa and he still crushed my fighters. Oh and I was 1 tier above him. Numbers win in this game and having more will always win.

Beta Testers
955 posts
561 battles

Stop saying that. Look at my STAT, and play harder.

oh, btw,low tier is more interesting, cuz AA isn't a big problem for IJN CV, and the reloading time is even faster.

Edited by Memono

Beta Testers
3,072 posts
1,908 battles

Memono go play a US CV and then give us some stats on that. Only way to play a US CV is heavy fighter since at least that way you can do something. Only way to play an IJN CV is attack because your fighters aren't good enough to stop US fighters unless you double up.

Beta Testers
367 posts
401 battles

I watched as IJN CV's would send their planes down the far sides of the map to get to people. It worked the first time but they got caught every time after plus it takes way to long to get there and back that way.

Beta Testers
35 posts
659 battles

I'll reply again latter but from what I've seen, IJN CV might be a little strong/op (takes a lot of skill) and the only way USN CV's can be useful is forget fighters and go all bombs. Then again, that's what I do with IJN CV's and they are better at it. Fighters don't work. Not if you are smart with your attacks.

[WRHG]
[WRHG]
Beta Testers
88 posts
17,288 battles

It's not a single side issue, it's just that this patch has made the carrier fight very one dimensional.  And, unlike the rest of these matches, carriers are very tier dependent.  Just give both sides the ability to load out whatever planes they want.  There needs to be a better UI for modules for them, instead of the mod's screen.  Then at least the matches will be more interesting.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
35 posts
659 battles

It's not a single side issue, it's just that this patch has made the carrier fight very one dimensional.  And, unlike the rest of these matches, carriers are very tier dependent.  Just give both sides the ability to load out whatever planes they want.  There needs to be a better UI for modules for them, instead of the mod's screen.  Then at least the matches will be more interesting.

[RSRDD]
Beta Testers
114 posts
2,451 battles

Just wanted to get some opinions on how IJN CV's fit in with match maker and against USN CV's. Gotta say I do not like having fewer planes per flight, don't care if I get more flights. American CV's so far are just loading up with fighters and I'm loosing almost all my planes in the first 3 minutes or they just park the fighters by my CV so I can't launch till they run out of fuel and need to turn back. I was in a match as a Zuiho with a Hosho on my team with a Bogue and a Hosho on the other team. Bogue kept 2 fighters and Hosho had 1. That is 16 fighters vs our 4 (I was stock our hosho had 3 TP) Match ended up with the 4 carriers as the only thing left and ended in a draw. Honestly what they should do as far as flights is have 4 in a fighter squad, 5 in a dive bomber squad, and 6 in a torpedo squad, regardless of nation. Torps need a wide spread to make hitting easier, bombers will get a good splash range with 5, and fighters can harass and widdle down attack groups without completely destroying them in 5 seconds. That way you are reducing combat effectiveness of that attack run but not removing a CV's usefulness in the first 3 minutes. I dunno what do you guys think of this and share some of your own ideas as to how we can balance this out more.

Not a big number of battles yet, but I'm 4-1 on the Hosho, 2338 avg xp, and 5-1 on the Zuiho, 2748 avg xp.

I've been avoiding the US fighters for the most part, using the speed of the ship to maneuver, and waiting to use my bombers when I can. Most of the time, I've been up against bombers, not fighters.

Beta Testers
35 posts
659 battles

I wish it were that easy. Problem is IJN torpedoes are fast and USN's aren't. With the buff to ships turning, USN comes up very short here. Dive bombers are only effective if you use them after your enemy repairs. Fighters are a joke, don't know why you would use a unit that is only fair at protecting your fleet vs one other ship type.

IMO, IJN torpedoes are kind of strong, USN torpedoes need love, all dive boomers need an option of AP or HE drops, fighters are a joke and only see how they lead to unfun game play.

I know early level CV's fighters destroy all, trust me, this changes. At higher levels, players who load fighters and almost completely block me out of a match still don't score as well as I. Simple strategy, "don't feed their fighters". Your torpedoes with one good run can do more than their dive bommers all game. Just turtle and devide your attack, they can't guard everything.

Final thought, IJN CV's land much quicker, reload quicker, but a little slower to launch. All that said, you can turn air groups far quicker with IJN than USN. This rewards risky game play (close range, finding a place to hide like behind an island) and is very fast paced. I highly recommend people to give this strategy a try.

[FL]
Beta Testers
40 posts
3,350 battles

I don't think a cv should have more than half its squadrons as fighters

Beta Testers
367 posts
401 battles

Not a big number of battles yet, but I'm 4-1 on the Hosho, 2338 avg xp, and 5-1 on the Zuiho, 2748 avg xp.

I've been avoiding the US fighters for the most part, using the speed of the ship to maneuver, and waiting to use my bombers when I can. Most of the time, I've been up against bombers, not fighters.

Maybe you are getting good mm or good team but I am getting neither. I just got my Independence and so far the first 3 matches in any tier 6 i get is 9's and 8's. So I was the only CV on our team and their CV was an 8. And all the BB's were 7's and there were 4 tier 8 CA's. I set auto pilot for middle of map and quit the match I wasn't even going to try. I go out in my Hosho, end up in a tier 5. There is another Hosho on our team and a Bogue on theirs. I go east to A cause that is where a few of my team is going. I launch fighter first let him get some distance then launch my attack craft. My fighter and other CV fighter runs into their fighter (just one). We both pounce, he killed two of the other CV's fighters in seconds and then his other fighter group came in and took us both out. I sent my attack craft hard west ( as soon as I saw his fighters in the east) they managed to catch up, shoot down a whole torp squad and half a bomber squad. I was attacking a single tier 5 BB' off by himself. His AA shot down 2 of my torp planes. This what happens in every IJN carrier match I'm in, I'm up against a USN double fighter CV who wrecks my crap30 seconds in and I lose at least half my flight to AA just making a single attack run. As it stands right now I don't think I'll be playing CV's anymore.

Beta Testers
3,072 posts
1,908 battles

Maybe you are getting good mm or good team but I am getting neither. I just got my Independence and so far the first 3 matches in any tier 6 i get is 9's and 8's. So I was the only CV on our team and their CV was an 8. And all the BB's were 7's and there were 4 tier 8 CA's. I set auto pilot for middle of map and quit the match I wasn't even going to try. I go out in my Hosho, end up in a tier 5. There is another Hosho on our team and a Bogue on theirs. I go east to A cause that is where a few of my team is going. I launch fighter first let him get some distance then launch my attack craft. My fighter and other CV fighter runs into their fighter (just one). We both pounce, he killed two of the other CV's fighters in seconds and then his other fighter group came in and took us both out. I sent my attack craft hard west ( as soon as I saw his fighters in the east) they managed to catch up, shoot down a whole torp squad and half a bomber squad. I was attacking a single tier 5 BB' off by himself. His AA shot down 2 of my torp planes. This what happens in every IJN carrier match I'm in, I'm up against a USN double fighter CV who wrecks my crap30 seconds in and I lose at least half my flight to AA just making a single attack run. As it stands right now I don't think I'll be playing CV's anymore.

The whole mismatched tier op problem has been their since or before they started CBT but US CV have been able to deal with it. Back then everybody had almost the same loadout and the same squad size. Problem now is with the Intro of IJN CV they change US to Fighter and DB heavy while IJN became Fighter TB heavy. Which if you look at it doesn't seem so bad until you factor in stats which never got changed. IJN planes while faster have less health and USN DB can't sink a ship unless they hit it eight times. 

Beta Testers
367 posts
401 battles

The whole mismatched tier op problem has been their since or before they started CBT but US CV have been able to deal with it. Back then everybody had almost the same loadout and the same squad size. Problem now is with the Intro of IJN CV they change US to Fighter and DB heavy while IJN became Fighter TB heavy. Which if you look at it doesn't seem so bad until you factor in stats which never got changed. IJN planes while faster have less health and USN DB can't sink a ship unless they hit it eight times. 

I know how frail Japanese planes were which is why having fewer of them per flight just doesn't make sense. Two CV's of same tier could send one flight each against each other and USN would win.

Sign in to follow this