Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SicNasty

New Patch Tactics Help

3 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
3 posts
2,933 battles

Good Morning!

I am fairly new to the game. I bought the 3 ship preorder bundle the day it came out not knowing I would be granted closed beta access about a week later. I just love naval warfare. I come from Navyfield and Navyfield2 so this is a massive upgrade. Before the patch I did quite well in battles. I can hold my own except with those captains who know how to utilize their boat (speed, turning radius) in order to reduce their hitbox. I don't play DD because for some reason I have a tendency to rush in and try to kill everything, instead of being sneaky. I play a lot of US Cruisers (Cleveland/Atlanta) and IJN Battleships (Kongo/Fuso+).

Since the new patch I have seen some things that make me cringe. We are closed beta TESTERS so I thought instead of complaining about them I would like to discuss and learn more about the mechanics and how to defeat it.

Concealment on DD's

There I was in my USN battleship (New Mexico), I rushed in (seriously need to kick this habit) and did some damage and took a lot damage so I am hanging out near our cap area because my team is cleaning the floor with the enemy. So the only way they can win is if they cap us. A DD tries to cap. The cap is probably 10-15 KM radius maybe more, maybe less. I go to the middle of the cap and can't see anything. Long story short it is an IJN DD (can't remember name) I close to 5.2 KM and finally see the DD. I fire a ranging shot and then the DD disappears again. This keeps happening until 2-3 KM closing distance. Then he/she pops smoke screen and I know for a fact I need to get out of here because torps are coming. He tries to torp, misses and I kill him. I totally understand the need for concealment in order to level the playing field for DD's. But this DD was shooting at me at 5.2KM and they were still going in and out of my vision. What could I have done better? A better DD player would have wiped the floor with torps out of that smoke screen.

HE FIRE POTENTIAL

I get hit by HE and get put on fire. I wait because the enemy has a high rate of fire (atlanta/cleveland/Balti, etc, etc). Then comes the second fire. I hit repair and try to leave their range and out range them (Fighting in a New Mexico). I guess they wait for my repair because the next like 1 minute involves them hammering me with HE and I get put on fire 4 times and it is basically game over. I burn down to 0 from like 46K in a matter of 40 seconds. How do you combat this? Or is it a game mechanic that needs to be looked at. I looked at my HE rounds and it says the New Mexico has a 30 percent chance to cause fire. What do you do in this situation?

Armor

Don't really see what they changed with the armor. Yes it takes longer to kill ships but I chalk that up to 1. The magical aim assist removal causes more shells to miss and 2.  the ones that do hit only do like 3-4K overall. Need more time testing to really understand it. But DD's and Cruisers only hit me for like 700-1000K now!

Carrier

Don't really want to talk about my perceived nerf of USN Carriers. It has been talked about many times. IJN tie up your fighters and then proceed to wipe the floor with their huge offensive power. While our DB's do laughable damage. How do I combat this?

USN Range

Needs to be re-looked at.  Please for the love of Baby Jesus. I have heard many different debates over why the range nerf to USN. None of them really justify it. How do I work with the smaller range and still be competitive?

Comments, questions, gripes, complaints?

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,072 posts
1,908 battles

Good Morning :) let's see if I can help.

DD were always that stealthy that's how they survive but at 5km and under you should be able to see them almost all the time. HE got a buff to chance to set fire because of how under powered it was in 3.0 problem is now AP is so under powered it;s not really worth using. People are still asking how did armor change cause nobody knows. Would say it makes you sturdier but that doesn't seem to be the case. If you don't play Carrier you don't really need to worry about them just please don't become one of those guys that trash talks them. We getting enough hate already.

Beta Testers
3 posts
2,933 battles

Thanks for the help. I do play carriers just not after the new patch after reading up on them. And I seen firsthand what is happening in battles

[70]
Members
1,424 posts
11,839 battles

Concealment on DD's

HE FIRE POTENTIAL

Armor

Carrier

USN Range

I probably won't play much of this game post-release (well, perhaps the DD lines up to at LEAST Fubuki/Fletcher, *drools* :Q___, Japanese BBs and US CAs) due to disgust at "WG balancing" (though I'll look at forums in hopes of eventual fix) and a certain other modern tank game that's coming out soon, but I have the following advice based on what I've read around here.

DD stealth: Well, they kind of need it to survive CA-rich matches. Really. BB going to hunt a DD in a restricted area... be glad you are American and can troll turn that fast, otherwise it'll be like a supermodel walking around a city naked with no bodyguards at 3AM with lots of dark alleyways around--I hate victim-blaming but there are some things that are just not smart to do such as jumping off tall buildings.

HE fires: Complete [edited]buff to higher-ROF ships, try playing a Des Moines and laugh as you drink the tears of everyone else and kill the game while playing by driving everyone else away.

Armor: I hear it works vs AP somewhat if you angle it (i.e. have enmy within arc of your main battery fore and aft guns, but still not broadside)

Carriers: WG's answer to underpowered vehicles: Don't play __Insert underpowered vehicle here__. That should tell you a great deal about what you can expect.

USN Range: Do not play US BBs, wait for WG to buff them (i.e. wait forever, probably) and hope the Yamato will go the way of the IS-7 by being considered bad for a while after post-release nerfs, so that at least at high tiers the US BBs are not bad compared to rivals. Otherwise, go one x2 at a time like i did for most WoT tanks for my whole time in that game.

Sign in to follow this