You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
pease1

Joy in a world without aim assist mods

76 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
11 posts
379 battles

I just wanted to say, that my enjoyment of the game last night post 3.1 without hordes of people using aim assist mods, was immense. When people hit me for huge damage I could type in chat "nice shot" knowing that they made a skilful play. 

I didn't get slammed for huge first salvos from max range with my BBs.

Ranging shots have become useful again adding to the flavour of the game.

I was able to make BBs miss my CVs with manoeuvre and even the playing field at medium-long range.

I was able to use the manoeuvrability of my DDs at mid to close range to CVs to increase my survivability.

In summary, the game is fun again. Skill is an important factor in play again.

Please, please, PLEASE make any aim lead indicator or assistance modifications a banned activity. This game is so much better without them.

Edited by pease1
  • Cool 17

Beta Testers
34 posts
531 battles

I was able to make BBs miss my CVs with manoeuvre and even the playing field at medium-long range.

I was able to use the manoeuvrability of my DDs at mid to close range to CVs to increase my survivability.

if you were being hit before 3.1 while maneuvering I can tell you one thing about the person shooting at you...they weren't using aim assist
  • Cool 6

Beta Testers
454 posts
1,484 battles

Please, please, PLEASE make any aim lead indicator or assistance modifications a banned activity. This game is so much better without them.

+1 totally agree

• Cool 5

Beta Testers
366 posts
1,461 battles

I agree fully with what you say, just 1 problem, How is WG expected to detect and enforce this. To my knowledge there is no way for them to detect if you are using it or not. If they cant detect it how do they enforce it. look at WOT and the mods in it. All WG can do is change codding and keep the modders off guard changing the said mods as often as possible. Then you have a brief window of no mods and folk using the mod dont even log in. Then MOD s fixed and they come back in droves. Hence i stopped playing wot a year or so ago. I have said from WOT alpha days if they going to allow mods they wil have to have a 3rd party program policing it or it will always be a game of cat and mouse with no true winner at the end. Hence i would rather WG introduced there own Aim assist and then they can control howe good it is, but even that will not stop aim assists, mods etc.

So far we have only seen the russians and germans making these mods. Wait till the koreans and more importantly the Vietnamese bring there mods into it. Ask anyone with experience of the asia server how that goes.   Oh and to add i thought the EYE of SAD ONE was more game breaking than aim assist. the fact you could get a top down view, look over hills and mountains and the fact it increased your refresh rate and when worked with aim assist it was just easy play. The only folk who got real benefit from aim assist are folk with low ping. By low ping i mean better than mine ha ha. Mine is a average of 250ms pre 3.1 and now its 250 to 320ms.

Edited by Doomkins
  • Cool 1

[TNAM]
Beta Testers
626 posts
4,046 battles

I just wanted to say, that my enjoyment of the game last night post 3.1 without hordes of people using aim assist mods, was immense. When people hit me for huge damage I could type in chat "nice shot" knowing that they made a skilful play. 

I didn't get slammed for huge first salvos from max range with my BBs.

Ranging shots have become useful again adding to the flavour of the game.

In summary, the game is fun again. Skill is an important factor in play again.

I bet you are one of them people who would sail in a line and not move when fighting, Thus making a easy target, There was only very small % of people using the mod, It's easy to blame something when you fail to learn.

• Cool 5

Beta Testers
2,327 posts
3,235 battles

i have noticed no change in the amount of hits im taking or any change in citadels hits in my numerous battles since 3.1. i think many over-inflated the influence that said mod had (and will have as soon as its updated). there is no way to tell if a player hitting you is using the mod or just knows what theyre doing. aiming in this game is pretty simple to get a hang of in the first place mod or no mod and is very RNG dependent. perfectly led shots fall all around a target, or sometimes RNG can compensate for sloppy aim. 

seems like most times i was accused of using said mod the accusation was from players going in a straight line and not changing course at all. so, basically every newbie/baddie out there automatically thinks hacker/cheater, making it a huge lightning rod that took away from the actual cause of said players result in-game. im glad its gone for now, not because it was some huge advantage but because the level of toxicity and paranoia in caused was way out of line with its effects. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1 post

I have actually noticed a big change in how much damage I take.  No longer do I get slammed for more than half my health in a single volley at range (while driving a battleship).  I had that happen repeatedly prior to 3.1 to the point I largely quit until the patch.  Since the patch this hasn't happened once.  Whether it is the change to armor or the elimination of aim mods I don't know.  All I know is that the game is better.

Also, I don't know why people think it is impossible to permanently eliminate aim mods?  There are a couple non-"world of" multi-player air combat games out there and I have never heard any credible evidence that aim assist or other aim mods exist in those games.

Dare

Edited by DareToDie
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,016 posts
13,711 battles

It has been glorious.... its not just a massive crit-fest over in a few minutes. Games are lasting longer, crits are rare as they should be, matches come down to the actions of the last few players rather than which team brought more aim assist. Was getting bored with the game honestly, but last night was a blast.

Honestly I dont think WG intends to let aim assist be allowed in final release, it might even be banned in open beta. I am assuming that they are letting it go for now so they can get numbers on armor, damage, crits etc ..... you cant get much data on some of that stuff unless players are hitting targets and often. I hope Im right as its a different game without aim assist and its much better.

Edited by Velled
  • Cool 4

[TNAM]
Beta Testers
626 posts
4,046 battles

It has been glorious.... its not just a massive crit-fest over in a few minutes. Games are lasting longer, crits are rare as they should be, matches come down to the actions of the last few players rather than which team brought more aim assist. Was getting bored with the game honestly, but last night was a blast.

The mod cant change RNG, When you take a hit it's all based on RNG. 
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,670 battles

Pretty shocking to know that many players are actually using the cheat mod. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,016 posts
13,711 battles

The mod cant change RNG, When you take a hit it's all based on RNG. 

No it isnt..... I still have to aim well first, then RNG comes into play...... if your on the east side of the map and I shoot west RNG doesnt even come into play. People need to stop acting like aim assist doesnt affect the game and its all RNG.... it isnt. First you have to aim well, which is the most important skill in this game and aim assist removes the need to aim well.  With aim assist the game is a crit fest, its boring to use it and frustrating to be on the receiving end of crit after crit after crit. It causes a ton of players to avoid all contact so they dont get destroyed on the first volley.... it changes the game big time.... without it people venture forward and are willing to take some damage knowing that they wont get 1-2 shotted.

Now maybe there are some potatoes that cant even use aim assist well and so they still think its all RNG. But it isnt.

[TNAM]
Beta Testers
626 posts
4,046 battles

No it isnt..... I still have to aim well first, then RNG comes into play...... if your on the east side of the map and I shoot west RNG doesnt even come into play. People need to stop acting like aim assist doesnt affect the game and its all RNG.... it isnt. First you have to aim well, which is the most important skill in this game and aim assist removes the need to aim well.  With aim assist the game is a crit fest, its boring to use it and frustrating to be on the receiving end of crit after crit after crit. It causes a ton of players to avoid all contact so they dont get destroyed on the first volley.... it changes the game big time.... without it people venture forward and are willing to take some damage knowing that they wont get 1-2 shotted.

Now maybe there are some potatoes that cant even use aim assist well and so they still think its all RNG. But it isnt.

I have almost 600 battles in wows, I have over 8,000 in wot, RNG comes in to play BIG time with games like this, Stop blaming mods / players for bad RNG.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,016 posts
13,711 battles

i have noticed no change in the amount of hits im taking or any change in citadels hits in my numerous battles since 3.1. i think many over-inflated the influence that said mod had (and will have as soon as its updated). there is no way to tell if a player hitting you is using the mod or just knows what theyre doing. aiming in this game is pretty simple to get a hang of in the first place mod or no mod and is very RNG dependent. perfectly led shots fall all around a target, or sometimes RNG can compensate for sloppy aim. 

seems like most times i was accused of using said mod the accusation was from players going in a straight line and not changing course at all. so, basically every newbie/baddie out there automatically thinks hacker/cheater, making it a huge lightning rod that took away from the actual cause of said players result in-game. im glad its gone for now, not because it was some huge advantage but because the level of toxicity and paranoia in caused was way out of line with its effects. 

Not true, when a player needs ZERO ranging shots and can critadel on every volley ( especially the first one ) at long range they are using it. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,016 posts
13,711 battles

I have almost 600 battles in wows, I have over 8,000 in wot, RNG comes in to play BIG time with games like this, Stop blaming mods / players for bad RNG.

LOL did you not read? You cant be this dense.....

Aiming is the most important skill in this game. Aim assist removes the need for that skill.

RNG does not matter if I cant get the shots within 5km of your boat... lets try bold letters so maybe it will sink in ...

Say it slowly to yourself so it can sink in.... First ... a player must aim well or RNG doesnt even come into play. 

• Cool 4

Beta Testers
1,016 posts
13,711 battles

I have 18k battles in tanks, 10k battles in planes, and well over 600 in ships....wth does that have to do with how aim assist makes the game suck?

Edit: Actually you dont have 600 battles in ships yet, I have over 1000.... This player name also has 0 battles in tanks. Why would you change your name? 

Edited by Velled
  • Cool 2

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
689 posts
21,229 battles

I agree with the OP, the matches I played all day yesterday were a nice change of pace from getting slammed cross map on a first salvo from a BB.  The days leading up to the patch were just ridiculous as if people were using it to buffer their xp before it went good bye.  I say good riddance and hope it becomes a ban to use and it never makes a return, although I know I am being naive. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,072 posts
1,908 battles

I don't see why people blame this so much :unsure: It's true their were people using this yes but even more people me included just sail in a straight line in a BB or CL truing every now and then. Heck I got several citadel hits in my Kongo from max range because people wouldn't change course. It's the same thing with torps when people got hit they wanted to blame something other then themselves for it. Also to the OP some of my matches in 3.1 had me dodging a whloe lot of shells because people didn't know how to shoot not because the aim mod was taken from them.
  • Cool 1

[SCORE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
590 posts
5,734 battles

I think the armor changes have impacted the amount of damage.  It took me a few days to adjust my aim points after the patch to hit the best spots at the right angles. Sure aim assist loss for people has likely impacted that as well, but I think it is impossible to say how much of an impact.  Hopefully they find a way to keep it out forever, or they add it as a game feature. It has to be an all or none kind of thing. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,072 posts
1,908 battles

I have 18k battles in tanks, 10k battles in planes, and well over 600 in ships....wth does that have to do with how aim assist makes the game suck?

Edit: Actually you dont have 600 battles in ships yet, I have over 1000.... This player name also has 0 battles in tanks. Why would you change your name? 

What difference do stats make here? We are talking about a mod not who has played more.
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
305 posts

I frankly think the crap U.S. dispersion patterns are really affecting people's perception of this. Once the "new toy" glow wears off and you see Japanese BBs creep back into the picture, landing multiple citadel hits a volley, people will return to feeling like they got shafted.

• Cool 1

[CRANE]
Alpha Tester
9,505 posts
3,688 battles

Best part about the aim mod was watching bb players rage when I got citadel hits with my opening volley without using said mod. Part of me is glad it's gone. Part of me wishes it was still around so all the bad players that sail in a straight line and wonder why I can hit them easily can keep complaining. It was good for a laugh

Beta Testers
11 posts
379 battles

I agree fully with what you say, just 1 problem, How is WG expected to detect and enforce this. To my knowledge there is no way for them to detect if you are using it or not. If they cant detect it how do they enforce it.

Do like other games do, require the use of PunkBuster - done.

Beta Testers
305 posts

Do like other games do, require the use of PunkBuster - done.

Lol. They're not going to require people to download a third party program to play their game. Either the code can be removed or it cannot, and if it cannot, and they can't find a way to somehow nullify it, or "patrol the sea lanes," then we're going to have to learn to live with this, whether it comes to be labeled as cheating or not.

Beta Testers
11 posts
379 battles

Lol. They're not going to require people to download a third party program to play their game.

Because you're an expert in what they will or won't do? Stop trolling. Many good, reputable, successful game companies and games use PunkBuster to great effect. Stating they won't do something just proves you don't know what you're talking about.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
1,520 posts
187 battles

Because you're an expert in what they will or won't do? Stop trolling. Many good, reputable, successful game companies and games use PunkBuster to great effect. Stating they won't do something just proves you don't know what you're talking about.

You should look at the track record of WG games. They have entire mod packs that they have banned, yet are still readily available and in use because they can't stop them.
Edited by Noth