You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

Wyoming isnt Wyoming

15 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Greetings, i am the author of a different post on this forum called Kongo isnt kongo, where i prove that the Kongo modeled in game is actually Kongo's sister ship Hiei. If that sounds interesting (or upsetting) to you id suggest you go check it out. Today, i have a new misrender/ misname. The new tier 4 US battleship the Wyoming, specifically after the 1942 hull upgrade. the model which we see in game is actually the Wyoming's sister ship the Arkansas. You see, during the 1930's Wyoming was converted into a training ship, she was stripped down and given 5.5" turrets in place of her 12" main battery turrets, this gave her an appearance comparable to that of a chubby Atlanta. Arkansas, however, would continue life as a battleship. In 1942 Arkansas went through some major modifications, changing her appearance drastically. Modifications included, but where not limited to, addition of torpedo bulges, improved bridge structure and additional AA armament. This is how we see "Wyoming" in the game after the 1942 hull upgrade. to see the in game model id suggest you watch Phlydaily's video "American Battleships" Wyoming is shown from 4:46 to about 6:40. Now using the Arkansas over the Wyoming was only the logical choice (after all who wants a tier 4 battleship with 5.5" main battery, well, theres always weirdos out there), but why not call it what it is? The Arkansas! Below i have included, first, an image of the wyoming as a training ship, then the Arkansas after 1942 modifications. Note 3 things, bridge structure, main armament, and torpedo bulges or lack thereof. As always i will kepp you all informed on any other misnames/ misrenders that i see, take care! :D

ag17_wyoming_1944.jpg

USS_Arkansas_BB-33.jpg

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

It's not the USS Wyoming. It's the USS Wyoming-Class. Same as the IJN Kongo-class, not IJN Kongo. As you upgrade hulls and what not, it takes on different characteristics as other ships in its class.

• Cool 4

[CRNGE]
Banned
3,786 posts
3,406 battles

Ships in WoWS are actually that class of ship, hence why they can call the Hiei a Kongo, because Hiei was a Kongo-class ship.  It would be nice though, if they listed which ship in the class got the modernization when you upgrade them.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

It's not the USS Wyoming. It's the USS Wyoming-Class. Same as the IJN Kongo-class, not IJN Kongo. As you upgrade hulls and what not, it takes on different characteristics as other ships in its class.

Before the game went into beta the devs stated that they would render each class of ship after the lead ship in the class. That was the point i brought up in Kongo isnt kongo.. im aware that its wyoming and kongo class.. but the devs said that they would render each class in game after the lead ship meaning we should have recieved the ijn Kongo and the uss wyoming as the in game models, so far ive found 2 vessels that do not follow these guide lines, ill be darned if i dont find any more. this was stated in a Qand A post because people were complaining about wether or not they would recieve the Graf Spee model instead of the Deutschland/Lutzow model (Deutschland being the lead ship in the class) because Graf Spee is the only one people care about even though Lutzow would be the more logicall choice because of service length and upgrades. the same can be said about Bismarck and Tirpitz. which is why the Bismarck has been rumored to be a premium, leaving Tirpitz for the tier 8 slot in the German tree.

Edited by dseehafer

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,991 posts
760 battles

Which hulls do we have in the game?

If it's Wyoming 1930 or before she'd be a proper battleship still. Her demilitarization commenced in '31.

Edit: Wyoming '42, yup. Arkansas.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Which hulls do we have in the game?

If it's Wyoming 1930 or before she'd be a proper battleship still. Her demilitarization commenced in '31.

we have a 1912 stock hull, which may very well be Wyoming, and a 1942 hull, which is definitely Arkansas :) again, id suggest you check out this video, 4:46 to 6:40 features "wyoming" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq0fUu0_vYk

Edited by dseehafer

[S_E_A]
Beta Testers
2,709 posts
4,563 battles

Oh are they actually going to change Hiei back to Kongo? I kinda prefer the prototype non - pagoda-mast Hiei had. 

Edited by byronicasian

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

Oh are they actually going to change Hiei back to Kongo? I kinda prefer the prototype pagoda-mast Hiei had. 

Who knows what they'll do. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a bunch of different models for when they implement ship naming.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,075 battles

Who knows, maybe the Wyoming with the 5 inch guns is the beta ship? :hiding:

4,991 posts
760 battles

Oh are they actually going to change Hiei back to Kongo? I kinda prefer the prototype non - pagoda-mast Hiei had. 

It'd be nice if they did. By their game logic standard, the height of the pagoda mast = the range of the main guns. A less-tall pagoda might equalize teh ranges a bit.

Of course, moving New York's spotting range to the 135' main battery control where it actually was on the ship would too...

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

Same deal for South Carolina

South Carolina-class battleships, also known as the Michigan class

4,991 posts
760 battles

Same deal for South Carolina

South Carolina was the lead ship of the class, though. BB-26 South Carolina and BB-27 Michigan.

I mean, some people try to call the North Carolina-class "Washington-class" because Washington was launched first. North Carolina was still the lead ship of the class.

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

I applaud the pendantism, but I don't think your title is really accurate except in a very narrow sense.  A much better title would be: "Wyoming class is USS Arkansas (at least after the last hull upgrade)".

As others have said specific ships are not really modeled, or at least WG hasn't acknowledged this.  It's easy to pick on a class like Wyoming since there are only two ships in the class, but if you extend this logically to the Essex class, or worse to the Fletcher class then you're effectively going to say that every ship is a one off and there is no notion of a class of ships.  Hell, in the real world very few classes of ships actually were built identically.  Different yards or even docks sourced components differently and in some cases dramatic changes to design were made partway through a series of ships.  The US Navy has always considered the Essex class a single class, even though there are two very distinct designs and many further modifications post-war.  On the other hand, they reclassified some Baltimore class cruisers when they were rebuilt as guided missile cruisers.  So go figure.

Beyond this, there are entirely imaginary or at least paper designs in the game which one can't really say describe any ship at all.  What ship is the Montana class?  Do you want WG to implement a hull with no guns or control systems for us to randomly crash into islands?

This is consistent with what they've done in tanks and planes too, where the tank in question represents an average or a particular point in the evolution of a design rather than a specific serial number.

The Wyoming is representative of the class and by and large it's reasonable to assume that a rebuilt Wyoming would have looked similar to the Arkansas if the USN had chosen to keep her in commission until the war.

If you want to be really pedantic, the Arkansas was always a member of the Wyoming class so the correct categorization of the Arkansas in 1945 would have been to describe her as a Wyoming class battleship.  Hell, if the USN had any sense the entire class probably should have been called the Arkansas class since she was laid down and launched first.  If you're looking for empirical logic in ship naming conventions you're going to get tired pretty quickly!

If WG had named the ship anything else it would be far more confusing since there is no Arkansas class of battleships.

I wouldn't characterize this as an error or even as misleading on WG's part, I'd just chalk up what you know about the class as cool trivia.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
305 posts

Would love to see Wyoming in her training ship guise. Something tells me she'd be far more deadly like that than what we're getting in the game. Those DPs would have the same ROF as an Atlanta... on a battleship hull.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Renown

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

Still hoping the Kongo will get the 1944 hull configuration.  I think ships look really cool with a ton of open AA mounts all over the vessle:

8hAPzue.png

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,192 battles

It was originally referred to as Arkansas on the tech tree preview as is. 

It was changed to class name afterward.