You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Konception

12/6/22 - New Player Captain’s Log: BBs aka British Battlecruisers

10 comments in this topic

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
414 posts
578 battles

Greetings Captains, 

Welcome to this week’s edition of the New Player Captain's Log! For those of you who aren't sure what this is or what it might do, feel free to check out the introductory post here.

With each topic I discuss, I also added a question at the end to see how y’all feel about things in comparison to how I feel. I just thought it would be an interesting way to get some discussion going!

Without further ado, let’s proceed with this week’s Log!

Focus Points of the Week
Here’s a list of the focus points for this week:

1. Try out British Battlecruisers for the first time
2. Advance the German BB line a bit
3. Continue to improve in submarines

British Battlecruisers
In order to prepare for the Ghosts of Past, Present and Future Forum Contest, I needed to play ships at various tiers in order to collect example screenshots. I used this as an opportunity to finally try out the British Battlecruiser line. The ships I experimented with were the Queen Mary, the Tiger and the Renown. I gotta say, this line is very fun! I really enjoyed how accurate the guns are, and who doesn’t like having a little wiggle torpedo at their disposal? Additionally, they have great speed/maneuverability which I particularly enjoy as a BB fan. The obvious tradeoff is the weak armor and low gun range, but the lower detectability helps with that. As with most things I tryout for the first time, I had mixed success. I had a few games with higher performance, and one or two games where I was deleted without much impact. Regardless, I am excited to try these out a bit more in the future.  

Question: From my experience, it seems like the St. Vincent is the most popular ship in this line. Aside from that, what is your favorite British Battlecruiser in the line?

German BBs
After having some fun with the British Battlecrusiers, I wanted to finally get back to one of my original grinds, which was the German BB line. While I didn’t unlock any new ships in the line, I was certainly having a bit of fun at Tier VI with the Bayern. German BBs are very interesting to me because they are certainly a bit tanky (which is great for me staying alive) but their accuracy leaves a LOT to be desired at times. This does make me play a little bit closer, which is something I am trying to do more often anyway in order to avoid staying away from the action. That being said, I need to be more cognizant of position as well as the layout of enemy ships, as I am finding that I more often am forgetting to look around while attacking. Regardless, I have been told that the Tier VII German BB is a bit of an outlier in the line, so I will be looking out for that when the time comes. 

Question: What makes the Tier VII German BB different from the rest of the line? Will I enjoy it, or is it worth “skipping” with free XP?

Submarines
Lastly, I continued to play around with submarines at Tier 6 this week to get a better understanding of them. One of the main focus points that I wanted to pay attention to this week was enemy DD positioning, as I would find that a lot of times when I would be obliterated in a sub it would come from a DD sitting on top of me that I wasn’t paying attention to. I am glad to say that giving that particular concept a bit more focus definitely helped! That being said, I found that I performed worse this week than I have in previous weeks. This could be attributed to a variety of things, such as players getting used to submarine counters, bad positioning and just bad play in general on my part. I think the next time that I play submarines, I will try to be a little more intentional with my submerging, as there were a few times that I was caught at surface/periscope depth unaware of the danger headed towards me. 

Question: What are some strategies that you use when it comes to submerging/emerging in submarines? 

I think that about covers it this week! I want to remind everyone that the New Player Captain’s Log is also designed to be a place for new players to reply with their experiences or seek advice as well, so feel free to join in on the conversation below!

See you next week for some more New Player musings. Fair winds and following seas! :cap_horn:

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,370 posts
29,395 battles

There are other ships beside the St. Vincent?

Incomparable is nice too. Duncan isn't a free exp sink either.

I've seen the Gneisenau played with brilliance,  unfortunately I can't hit crap with it....

If you can connect, they punish. Her speed can get you into trouble.  The torps and secondaries can suprise some players.

Good armour.

• Cool 1

Members
3,342 posts
3,044 battles
7 hours ago, Konception said:

Question: From my experience, it seems like the St. Vincent is the most popular ship in this line. Aside from that, what is your favorite British Battlecruiser in the line?

I would've thought Tiger was the most popular ship. My personal favorite is Queen Mary. Not just for my gameplay experience, but also for the amount of people who've tried to fight me in it and gotten absolutely stomped because they don't know what they're doing.

• Haha 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,604 posts
22,564 battles
7 hours ago, Konception said:

Question: What are some strategies that you use when it comes to submerging/emerging in submarines? 

Dive-Capacity is a precious commodity.
Use it for appropriate situations (avoiding detection from aircraft is merely one example).

Surfacing is best done when not near red-team ships/planes.

Granted, circumstances may change quickly in a battle and team-mates and mini-map may not always spot/depict the positions of undetected red-team ships.
Surfacing near an undetected red-team ship may have dire consequences.  :-)

Generally, I tend to try to remain surfaced to keep my mobility and battery at their best.
If I perceive an opportunity, I will sail towards a favorable position and accomplish what I can.
If I'm making a planned attack, I want to retain enough dive-capacity to escape the area (if necessary).  Sometimes I can attack from the surface.  Other times require submergence for added stealth.

Try to keep track of ships with Hydro-acoustic search and/or Radar.

Try to sink the ships that can restrict one's movement (this is something that DD's also try to accomplish).

If one stays in one area for a while, anticipate red-team ships arriving to contest the area.

There may be times when one is short of everything (time, ordnance, dive-capacity, maneuvering room, and etc.) except opponents.  Fight as fiercely as you can then (and learn from the experience, later).

• Thanks 1

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
414 posts
578 battles
On 12/6/2022 at 5:52 PM, Mizzerys_Fate said:

I've seen the Gneisenau played with brilliance,  unfortunately I can't hit crap with it....

If you can connect, they punish. Her speed can get you into trouble.  The torps and secondaries can suprise some players.

Good armour.

I've heard similar things about the Gneisenau honestly. I think I played a match with her once maybe in PTS? Should give her another look when I unlock her. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,366 posts
10,159 battles
23 hours ago, Konception said:

I'm only up to T8 but all have been awesome, maybe my favorite so far is Rooke

23 hours ago, Konception said:

Question: What makes the Tier VII German BB different from the rest of the line? Will I enjoy it, or is it worth “skipping” with free XP?

Gneisenau is a difficult ship... your main battery is possibly one of the worst in the game but the rest is actually very very good. The Gneis has fantastic mobility and durability but you will struggle to deliver damage and be productive, it has an hyper aggressive play style but that precissely can get you in a lot of trouble if you overextend. The Secondaries at T7 have a somewhat short range and are not really marvelous but thats what Gneis has to supplement her main guns, and of course the torps, so if possible you'll want to be at sword range from your enemies and overwhelm them with the combined weight of your guns, secs and torps... which is much easier said than done in a normal match situation. 

Your best approach is to be cautious at first take your time to assess the situation before you commit to your charge, if you manage to have good HP and a good position by mid-late match, you'll enjoy the ship a lot. 

It is worth the experience and learning, don't skip her.

On 12/6/2022 at 1:00 PM, Konception said:

I would find that a lot of times when I would be obliterated in a sub it would come from a DD sitting on top of me that I wasn’t paying attention to.

That's the first problem, you probably are spending too much time under the waves. A common mistake of new Submarine players is they spend too much time submerged, try to spend more time playing at Surface/Periscope so you not only detect DDs creeping upon you but you also provide valuable spotting for your team. 

On 12/6/2022 at 1:00 PM, Konception said:

Use your Hydro consumable frequently when submerged so you keep tabs on whats going on above you.

• Thanks 1

Members
1,028 posts
21,122 battles

Gneisenau Is one of the only ships I’ve FreeXP’d. 

It is horrible. Not very tanky. Not very accurate. Secondaries are overrated. CVs love it. Prinz Heinrich is a vastly superior ship in all ways.

One thing to remember is that the gneis is balanced for a time when no other BB had torpedoes and its primary enemies were the slow as hell Colorado and Nagato. In those times, in the hands of a skilled player, it could bully cruisers and yolo torp BBs. These days, it requires a skilled player and foolish enemies since 32kts (after upgrades) isn’t exactly an overwhelming advantage at tier 7.

• Thanks 1

[MCCAL]
Members
11 posts
9,496 battles
On 12/12/2022 at 10:01 PM, Telastyn said:

Gneisenau Is one of the only ships I’ve FreeXP’d. 

It is horrible. Not very tanky. Not very accurate. Secondaries are overrated. CVs love it. Prinz Heinrich is a vastly superior ship in all ways.

One thing to remember is that the gneis is balanced for a time when no other BB had torpedoes and its primary enemies were the slow as hell Colorado and Nagato. In those times, in the hands of a skilled player, it could bully cruisers and yolo torp BBs. These days, it requires a skilled player and foolish enemies since 32kts (after upgrades) isn’t exactly an overwhelming advantage at tier 7.

I get 36.9 kts (occasionally 37.1) with the speed boost modification on before detection,  33.1 kts afterwards.

Members
1,028 posts
21,122 battles
6 hours ago, Coalstoker_2021 said:

I get 36.9 kts (occasionally 37.1) with the speed boost modification on before detection,  33.1 kts afterwards.

Fair. For me it was before the captain skills rework so that is stuck in my memory.

[MCCAL]
Members
11 posts
9,496 battles
On 1/7/2023 at 12:55 PM, Telastyn said:

Fair. For me it was before the captain skills rework so that is stuck in my memory.

Mine is level 21.