You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
thunderball2

Should we add Japanese flying boats to this game?

24 comments in this topic

[BTT]
Members
61 posts
10,892 battles

Should we add Japanese flying boats to this game?  The Japanese had some awesome flying boats in WWII.  It would be cool to add them to the game.  What do you think???

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[QADD]
[QADD]
Beta Testers
709 posts
15,034 battles
15 minutes ago, thunderball2 said:

Should we add Japanese flying boats to this game?  The Japanese had some awesome flying boats in WWII.  It would be cool to add them to the game.  What do you think???

Add them to what purpose? 

[WPORT]
Members
20,719 posts
22,656 battles
19 minutes ago, thunderball2 said:

For ships that actually used them?  Sure.
For "scenery" in the air over a map?  Sure.

Can you provide more ideas?

Edited to add  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawanishi_H8K

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[WPORT]
Members
20,719 posts
22,656 battles
9 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

IJN ships equipped with the depth charge airstrike use H8Ks already.

"Give that man a cigar!"

It's been so long since I caught WG/WOWs using generic PBY flying-boats, and I hadn't revisited the issue to see if WOWs introduced nationally correct aircraft as replacements, yet.
Thank you @El2aZeR, for pointing that out.

Spoiler

image_2022-11-13_141259259.thumb.png.49aa221e3de4dc3016301b5fff33e3c3.png

• Cool 2

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,796 posts
20,735 battles
1 hour ago, Efros said:

Short Sunderlands available to UK ships, for U boat attacks

https://uboat.net/allies/aircraft/sunderland.htm

abc67e17257258012409a418633180c7.jpg

The thing is that the PBY is already modeled and was an aircraft used by all the Allies.
Not saying not bring in the Sunderland, but from a game stand point it really isn't bringing much to the table that isn't already there from the PBY.

BTW: yes, I have seen and walked through the last flyable example.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,730 posts
37,470 battles

It wasn't a serious suggestion, I went to school about 300 yards from an old Sunderland ramp in Singapore. They stopped operating from there in 1959. I was there 10 years later.

https://www.rafseletarandtengah.org.uk/flying-squadrons/seletars-sunderlands/

Edited by Efros
  • Thanks 1

[BONKS]
Members
4,814 posts
52 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Not saying not bring in the Sunderland, but from a game stand point it really isn't bringing much to the table that isn't already there from the PBY.

All individual nations do have fitting models as ASW aircraft now. The British are indeed using the Sunderland.

They got added shortly before subs went into early access iirc. Before that everyone was using PBYs/H8Ks.

Edited by El2aZeR

[AK-49]
Members
643 posts
13,899 battles

As a WWII scale modeler, I love the Mavis and Betty but I think they're bettered suited for a flight sim kind of game. 

[LWC]
Members
438 posts
935 battles
22 hours ago, thunderball2 said:

Only if they are as easy to shoot down and totally useless to the war effort like the real Japanese float planes were. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles
On 11/13/2022 at 10:51 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

For ships that actually used them?  Sure.
For "scenery" in the air over a map?  Sure.

Can you provide more ideas?

Edited to add  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawanishi_H8K

The first I learned of that flying boat's existence was when I was still playing Kantai Collection and the devs introduced Seaplane Tender Akitsushima.  Anyways, they were pretty big planes.  Tons and tons of range.  Wikipedia says only 167 were made.

320a5e59d88fd8181455ed742ec5837a--imperibd040c14e5fd527c9f149b617216e6c8.jpg

full?d=1533599535

She could carry bombs, torpedoes, or depth charges.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,719 posts
22,656 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

And supplies and troops for missions, too.
Pretty versatile flying-boat.  :-)

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles
4 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

And supplies and troops for missions, too.
Pretty versatile flying-boat.  :-)

It was also heavily armed, better than a lot of multi-engine aircraft for defensive armament.  It had 7.7mm x5 machine guns.  That's so-so.  But the damn thing also had 20mm x5 guns.  According to wikipedia: "one each in bow, dorsal, and tail turrets, plus one each in two waist blisters"

• Thanks 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,307 posts
23,632 battles
On 11/13/2022 at 11:01 AM, El2aZeR said:

IJN ships equipped with the depth charge airstrike use H8Ks already.

This ^^^

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,336 posts
9,613 battles
On 11/13/2022 at 4:24 PM, Lord_Slayer said:

The thing is that the PBY is already modeled and was an aircraft used by all the Allies.

BTW: yes, I have seen and walked through the last flyable example.

Sunderland is already in the game.  American, French, British and Japanese BBs, the ones that initially had depth charge air strikes, always had their national aircraft.  PBYs were only used on American BBs.  Then when all BBs got depth charge air strikes Russia used PBYs and Italy and Germany used H8Ks, then later all three got their own national aircraft.

Now, cruisers for some reason all use PBYs regardless of nationality.  It is weird because the national aircraft are all already in the game so it isn't like WoWS needs to create new assets.

Edited by Helstrem

[TYPH]
Beta Testers
237 posts
12,039 battles
On 11/13/2022 at 1:33 PM, thunderball2 said:

Absolutely!  And the US, British, and German flying boats, too, plus entire lines of flying boats made up from thin air for the minor nations' lines.   No, wait, there should be TWO lines of flying boats for each country.

And then, PT boats.  And midget submarines.  Minelayers and minelaying subs (a separate branch of subs for each nation, because why TF not?).  Hovercraft.  Weaponized hydrofoils.  Amphibious tanks, too.  Trained dolphins.  Hillbillies in rowboats with shotguns.

At this point WG seems to be inventing whole new lines of ships every month or two. So obviously they're starved for content.  So one of these days we'll be staring at the new Tier X Japanese Jet Ski, the Yamaha Waverunner FX® LIMITED SVHO, and its Soviet counterpart, the Kliment Voroshilov Workers and Peasants Combination Attack Boat/Sturgeon Fisherman "Kaopectate".  With icebreaker bow, natch.

[ARR0W]
Members
6,146 posts
32,898 battles
39 minutes ago, BillT said:

Absolutely!  And the US, British, and German flying boats, too, plus entire lines of flying boats made up from thin air for the minor nations' lines.   No, wait, there should be TWO lines of flying boats for each country.

And then, PT boats.  And midget submarines.  Minelayers and minelaying subs (a separate branch of subs for each nation, because why TF not?).  Hovercraft.  Weaponized hydrofoils.  Amphibious tanks, too.  Trained dolphins.  Hillbillies in rowboats with shotguns.

At this point WG seems to be inventing whole new lines of ships every month or two. So obviously they're starved for content.  So one of these days we'll be staring at the new Tier X Japanese Jet Ski, the Yamaha Waverunner FX® LIMITED SVHO, and its Soviet counterpart, the Kliment Voroshilov Workers and Peasants Combination Attack Boat/Sturgeon Fisherman "Kaopectate".  With icebreaker bow, natch.

Klim is good with this. 

Rphc, Kliment Voroshilov, Soviética Partido Comunista politbyuro los,1940,  Rusia | eBay

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles
9 minutes ago, BillT said:

And then, PT boats.  And midget submarines.  Minelayers and minelaying subs (a separate branch of subs for each nation, because why TF not?). 
Hovercraft.  Weaponized hydrofoils.  Amphibious tanks, too.  Trained dolphins.  Hillbillies in rowboats with shotguns.

PBY Catalina is already in the game as ASW call-in bombers.  That flying boat was used extensively by many Allied powers :Smile_great:

We still don't have the threat of Land Based Air Power in WoWS.  Land based air power was a huge threat to naval strength.  The Mediterranean Theater was pockmarked with airfields.  The Pacific Theater was at its heart, a campaign to have airfields and threaten significant areas around the airfield, both land and sea based targets.

PT Boats, S-boots, Motor Torpedo Boats were a thing.  Matter of fact, the Imperial German Navy featured a lot of Motor Torpedo Boats in WWI's Battle of Jutland, and that's a battle that a bunch of BB fans wank off to and imagine it was only a battle of Battleships and Battlecruisers, and nothing else.  The US Navy got a lot of mileage out of their PT Boats in WWII.  The IJN didn't really have them at the start of the war, but after dealing with them in 1942-1943 at Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands, they resolved to get them for the defense of the Home Islands.

page5-5.jpg

778672233ce40554f8d7fb6bd112c815.jpg

I'm very sure the Marine Raiders had some shotguns out there in WWII, and 100% positive some of these guys were country boys!

Marine-Raiders-Landing.jpg

Marine-shotgun.jpg

Midget Submarines were a thing, too.  As well as Kaiten Suicide Torpedoes.  Tier VIII Premium Submarine I-56 was supposed to have them, but WG didn't implement it.  Ancient Kuma-class CLs Oi and Kitakami had the torpedo heavy refit at the start of the war but were soon changed out to be more as fast going transports.  Late in WWII they were refitted to carry Kaitens.  The Kaitens were essentially the already proven, fast, powerful Type 93 Long Lance Oxygen Torpedoes, altered to have 1 crewman on a 1 way ticket.

Kaiten Type 1

Kaiten_Type_1_Yushukan.jpg

Type 1 & 4

2560px-Kaiten_torpedo_type_1_schematic-12560px-Kaiten_torpedo_type_4_schematic-1

Submarine I-56 with some Kaitens loaded.  The Premium version in WoWS does not have this capability.

Japanese_submarine_I-56.jpg

Submarine I-36 with Kaitens.

2_kaiten_atop_C2_submarine.jpg

I-361.

Japanese_submarine_I-361.jpg

I-165.

Japanese_submarine_I-165_in_1945.jpg

I-47.

KaitenMission.JPG

CL Kitakami (Kuma-class) launching Kaitens.

6076838507_dfacdb996f_b-640x420.jpgKaiten_Type_1_launch_test_from_starboard

Again, Land Based Air Power is not present in WoWS as a real threat.  In WWII it was a dire threat for shipping and warships.

tumblr_oqdds78nZ11s7e5k5o1_640.jpg

9959673359FE898232cd9be918748e9cda563442b0ca976754.jpg

e446ddeba1abfe6ce3eee4342b14f048.jpg

"A bomb from a US B-25 bomber wrecks a Japanese patrol boat, November 10, 1944, in the Bay of Ormoc (Philippines). The patrol boat was on convoy duty."

USAAF+B-25+sinks+Japanese+destroyer+Amat

This threat is not present in WoWS.

World of Warships is actually a very sterile representation of the true realm of threats out there in WWII.

[BTT]
Members
61 posts
10,892 battles
On 11/14/2022 at 3:10 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The first I learned of that flying boat's existence was when I was still playing Kantai Collection and the devs introduced Seaplane Tender Akitsushima.  Anyways, they were pretty big planes.  Tons and tons of range.  Wikipedia says only 167 were made.

320a5e59d88fd8181455ed742ec5837a--imperibd040c14e5fd527c9f149b617216e6c8.jpg

full?d=1533599535

Didn't know any survive the war.  Where is this one located?  Looks like a very old photo of it.  Judging by the car models around it.